Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RabidWolverine

TNT or Plutonia: What was better?

I personally preferred Plutionia. I felt that the maps for more interesting and more challenging, particullary Go 2 It. Although I did notice some glitches, TNT doesn't match up to it.

BloodyAcid said:

Plutonia, by far. It's also probably because I played PL before TNT.

well, plutonia had better mappers and there were just two of them, so they kept the visuals and gameplay style in a tight bunch.

Plutonia, by a mile. It has a more cohesive aesthetic and overall style, whereas TNT (Evilution) is a little more of a mish-mash. Don't get me wrong, they both have some amazing levels. But Plutonia wins out for me.

Well for me I found they both had their ups and downs but I prefer TNT's ups just a tiny bit more than Plutonia's ups.

Plutonia rely too much on archviles and revenants... and I specially hate when archviles are overused.

Plutonia all the way! :D
I played TNT during a very shitty time in my life, and everytime I run trough those levels I get reminded of it. This is pretty much the reason why TNT is not that enjoyable to me anymore.

Same as every time this topic comes up:

I thought Plutonia was better in terms of pure gameplay and visuals. The consistency of the map design meant it was easier to play through the whole thing without gritting my teeth. I prefer it.

TNT's best maps are some of my favorite ever, but the others are just... not. Most of episode 3 suffers from horrid map design and the fact that some of the maps were clearly made for a different episode (see the use of Sky1 for, I believe, Map23). If it were entirely a wad of maps like 13, 15, or 18, etc., we'd be singing a different tune here. Unfortunately, Habitat...

Habitat.

TNT always seemed to have a nasty aesthetic to me for some reason.
I feel the gameplay of plutonia has been much more influential on future wads, so I'd have to say plutonia.

TNT's level design is often pretty atrocious. Huge empty areas, horrible (and i can't overstate that) new textures that stand out like a pink elephant in an office building and look like something taken out of bad blurry photos and sprinkled with jpg artifacts (SERIOUSLY it's like a blind idiot included them! i'm baffled by them to this day), stupid, ear-hurtingly bad and undoom-like new "music"... I liked maybe one or two maps in it. Then again, i could never even beat plutonia on UV (which i did with TNT, begrudgingly), but damn if i don't keep trying every once in a while.

marver0PS said:

I think plutonia was better in gameplay and visuals,but TNT was better in music.

But it had stuff that sounded like anime music! Or something to that degree!

I am thinking Plutonia had the greatest set of maps as far as design goes. However, I had just as much if not more fun playing TNT when I was younger. I always loved the theme that TNT was aimed for and I am looking forward to see thing TNT 2 being made by fan mappers.

Plutonia has much better level design, but it feels kinda samey-same theme-wise. After a while, I'm bored. For all its ugliness, TNT went through very different environments.

Also, the music had the merit of being mostly new, and I do like many of the songs (Sadistic, Smells Like Burning Corpse, Death's Bells, Agony Rhapsody, Into The Beast's Belly, and Infinite, notably).

Yeah Sadisticwas good. That was about it for me. What the hell was with the end of Soldier of Chaos.
Although Lorcan's remixes of the TNT Soundtrack were very good.

EDIT: Just remembered Legion of the Lost. That is the best OST in Doom, and the remix uploaded (but not done by) GiggityGoogity is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

Plutonia had much more solid level design, even though it's harder. I'm not a big fan of Team TNT's love of backtracking to find small things, and some of the levels in TNT are just too simple for my tastes.

I enjoyed Plutonia more, as I had finished more of it. I thought the levels and gameplay was better, and TNT overall just bored me and the maps were all rather meh, and a tad confusing at times. I just couldn't get into it like Plutonia.

But TNT did have a baller Intermission Screen tune.

MAP02's music in TNT was fucking abysmal. It was just screeching guitars and droning guitars going on these really long notes.

I like the maps in Plutonia better.

Sodaholic said:

MAP02's music in TNT was fucking abysmal. It was just screeching guitars and droning guitars going on these really long notes.

But, but, but! That bass! That loud, nasty, synth bass! <3

What Gez said.

TNT had mind-blowingly brilliant music that made me play with pace and determination. I loved the space-themed maps too. Those glorious skies...

Plutonia had the more solid groundwork, level design and gameplay. TNT had some awful levels, but also some spectacular levels, 13, 15, 18 I loved (18 probably doesn't count as he was one of plutonia's authors but hey ho)
I had more fun playing tnt though when I was younger

The New Technology: Evilution was awesome, and didn't need Revenant hordes to prove it. I don't think I'll see another wad like it. Too bad TeamTNT moved on to do ugly stuff like Icarus with bad music and boring level themes which were too different from what Doom really is about.

Plutonia had a very neat jungle mayhem theme that very likely inspired all those Doom 2 closed quarter slaughter maps (which I got to play before I had Final Doom), so kudos to that too. I loved that pseudo-symmetrical multistorey map with D_E3M8 music and red stone all over the place. I love how the game seems to take place somewhere in Africa, and gradually the weather turns into a storm that's unusually red and unnatural.

I admit I like TNT more. It has been imitated less (though I guess 1killtng would qualify), so I was less tired of its theme when I played it.

In my opinion, plutonia was better. but i had more memories from the tnt levels(map30 teleport puzzle, and the egypt-like map31) so i really enjoyed tnt as well.

Sodaholic said:

MAP02's music in TNT was fucking abysmal. It was just screeching guitars and droning guitars going on these really long notes

You're dead to me, Soda.

I've always preferred TNT. It has it's share of bad maps but it's better ones are more memorable for me.

I prefer Plutonia. I like more of the levels, and although there is no new music, I thought the overall design was pretty good.

I did enjoy TNT, but some of the levels were just sloppy. I liked a few of the songs like Sadistic, Horizon, and More, but some of the other music is really goofy. And yeah, I don't know what was up with the wacked-out ending to the Soldier of Chaos tune.