Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

Doom 1 Episode 5?

Hello there. Is anybody plans to make Ultimate Doom Episode 5? That would be cool! Prequel to Doom 2 and sequel to Thy Flesh Consumed. I was read somewhere that Xaser wants to make Episode 5. I am glad that i can help if you wish guys! :D Xaser if you're making Episode 5 good luck with it and anyone else who wants to help Xaser or make own Epiosde 5. ;)

BlueFireZ88 said:

This first level (Logos Anomaly) is no doubt a mindf**k. If you can get past that, it really starts getting good.

Agree!

Huh, this thread is interesting. :P

Yeah, I went totally nuts with the void stuff, especially in the first map. E5M1 is definitely love-hate, so tread with caution. :P

Xaser said:

Huh, this thread is interesting. :P

Yeah, I went totally nuts with the void stuff, especially in the first map. E5M1 is definitely love-hate, so tread with caution. :P

I think just wanted episode even harder than episode 4. :)

EDIT: Never mind, i like to post links that people already posted.

Anyway, if it could be with a certain theme like original wads instead of (really cool) Xaser crazy maps revamp, it could be really cool... Maybe using the same textures of Xaser's episode 5?

An interesting fact is that the Ultimate DOOM vanilla EXE has space for and will tolerate the playing of levels on episode 5 slots, as if the original plan, at least for a moment of time, was for the expansion to include two episodes.

The string used on the automap for E5 levels is "new level" IIRC. The sky uses AASTINKY because the sky # stays set to 0 - this is the only context in which the vanilla engine can actually render the contents of that texture.

Getting to the next level can be a bit of an adventure, however, as the intermission has a lot of issues finding needed resources :P

Quasar said:

An interesting fact is that the Ultimate DOOM vanilla EXE has space for and will tolerate the playing of levels on episode 5 slots, as if the original plan, at least for a moment of time, was for the expansion to include two episodes.

The string used on the automap for E5 levels is "new level" IIRC. The sky uses AASTINKY because the sky # stays set to 0 - this is the only context in which the vanilla engine can actually render the contents of that texture.

Getting to the next level can be a bit of an adventure, however, as the intermission has a lot of issues finding needed resources :P

Really? I didn't know about that.Anyway thanks! :) Maybe i can try something with it! ;)

I don't think its that easy to mess with the stuff from the old DOS vanilla games (and it's probably ill advise to mess with them). What Xaser did with ZDoom in adding a fifth episode is more than good enough.

I would think if one was that determined to make levels in the context of an episode 5, ZDoom would probably be the best way to approach it (or any other source ports that have episode customization).

Agree. Episode 5 is good idea and may be should be a remake of Doom 2 HELL on EARTH but with Doom 1 monsters only. ;) And yes new boss Icon Of Sin should shoot Doom 1 monsters only. :) When i got idea i will try to make my own version of Episode 5, anyway Xaser make cool one already. But i don't understand something. If Episode 5 is supposed to be on Earth like EP4 why Xaser used Inferno levels from console ports of Doom? :\

Have you actually played the levels from Xaser's mod? No way they are on Earth. You might want to pay attention to a few subtle and easily overlooked details such as:
1. The floor
2. The sky texture
3. The intermap

Gez said:

Have you actually played the levels from Xaser's mod? No way they are on Earth. You might want to pay attention to a few subtle and easily overlooked details such as:
1. The floor
2. The sky texture
3. The intermap

No you missunderstanded me! I played levels. But if it uses Episode Slot 5 why not is set to Earth cuz EP4 is already on Earth. Let me explain like this:

Episode 1 - Set on Phobox
Episode 2 - Set on Deimos
Episode 3 - Set in Hell
Episode 4 - Return to Earth
Episode 5 - [Should be to Earth also cuz it's after Episode 4 and because Doom 2 was set on Earth. ]
Doom 2 - Set on Earth

The problem with that concept though is that you might as well just take the levels from Doom 2 and replace all existing Doom 2 monsters with Doom 1 monsters. Ultimately, there's not much point in doing that as anyone can tell you.

It's just better to make your own Doom 1 levels using some textures and styles from Doom 2. Maybe Xaser can let you use some of the resources from his Lost Episode to make them, if you ask nicely of course.

It's never officially specified (by ID) where the player is in "Thy Flesh Consumed". Is he on Earth? Is he still in Hell? Or is he somewhere inbetween?

Here's how I interpret Episode 4 (people may or may not agree with me on this, but anyway):

The story picks up with the original ending to Doom 1, with Daisy's (your "pet rabbit") head on a pike, and you seemingly arrive on Earth. My theory is that when the forces of Hell first attacked Earth, out of retaliation for what the player character did in Episodes 1 through 3, they started with our heroes home town (since they also knew about the nearby city in Doom 2, MAP12 through MAP20). They merged the town with Hell and you seem to be lost in a place literally fused with two seperate dimensions (so somewhere inbetween is kind of your answer.

As for Episode 5, I PM'd Xaser to get the official story, or at least something more concrete. One thing is perfectly certain (as stated in the endgame intermission) you are most certainly not on Earth, but a seperate dimension all together.

Plus because of your theory about EP4, EP5 should be set on Earth or more near to Earth and more far from Hell. Anyway don't need Xaser textures. I want to be original. This is his creation, i don't want to steal it even if i ask him nicely. :) I mean a just idea about a prequel to Doom 2 and sequel to Thy Flesh Consumed. Also EP4 are added later. You know you can buy original 3-episoded doom by mail order even today. :) As you know that new monster like Mancubus, Archvile, Revenant appear as regular monsters in Doom 2 maybe in Doom 1 Episode 5 Arch Vile should appear as a Final Boss. That is just my opinion. ;)

My theory on E4 is one thing, E5's story is a whole other ballgame.

I can speculate that after beating the second Mastermind in E4M8, a portal appears and you are on your way to battle demons in Doom 2, right? Well, the Lost Episode basically says: WRONG!!! The demons seriously want you dead now, and have trapped you in some kind of pocket dimension to finish the job.

This is why I want Xaser's input on plot, cause all that was really theory too. Although it's logical theory, given the context of how E4 ends and what little info about E5 there is too.

This is how I view the setting in Doom 1.
E1-Phobos
E2-Deimos
E3-Hell
E4-Hell (fused Earth section)
E5-Parralel Dimension

"Asking him nicely" is my way of saying to ask his permission, cause if you do you, you usually don't have to worry about get crap from other people accusing you of stealing. Though it's up to use if you want to use his resources, or just use vanilla ones.

Not to play spoiler alert, but there is an Arch-Vile variant in Lost Episode that acts as boss characters (yes as in more than one). Even on the most minimal difficulty, they are usually found in E5M8 (Redemption Denied). Most Doom 2 monsters also make in a appearance in Lost Episode as a way of bridging Doom 1 and Doom 2 (the super shotgun's in there too).

Regarding the "plot", the summary in the above post is pretty much correct. You finish E4 and the portal takes you to a parallel, torn-apart universe ruled by the Void Lords, because Hell is pissed at you. Not too much more to it than that, since it's really just a way to justify the setting.

And no, I don't have any issue with resource borrowing. The textures are mostly a mix of alpha stuff and random edits to things (e.g. the "swiss cheese" in E5M1), so feel free to snag 'em if they seem useful.

Quasar said:

Now this is quite interesting. The current maps have some limit-breaking issues in some maps (particularly E5M4), but I've often thought about what it would take to make a vanilla-compatible version of the mod. I actually sorta wonder if the needed adjustments could be made to the Ultimate DOOM EXE via hex editing and massive hacking, but that doesn't sound like the easiest undertaking. :P

Ah yes, where some of the maps were remakes of console maps.
I'm going to download this, interested to see how some turned out, particularly Redemption Denied and Twilight Descends.

Xaser said:

Regarding the "plot", the summary in the above post is pretty much correct. You finish E4 and the portal takes you to a parallel, torn-apart universe ruled by the Void Lords, because Hell is pissed at you. Not too much more to it than that, since it's really just a way to justify the setting.

And no, I don't have any issue with resource borrowing. The textures are mostly a mix of alpha stuff and random edits to things (e.g. the "swiss cheese" in E5M1), so feel free to snag 'em if they seem useful.

Now this is quite interesting. The current maps have some limit-breaking issues in some maps (particularly E5M4), but I've often thought about what it would take to make a vanilla-compatible version of the mod. I actually sorta wonder if the needed adjustments could be made to the Ultimate DOOM EXE via hex editing and massive hacking, but that doesn't sound like the easiest undertaking. :P

Howewer you cannot make own cluster texts in Vanilla. But converting this mod to Vanilla sounds cool :) It's good thing Doom 1 and Doom 2 uses same .EXE so you can put Doom 2 monster in Doom 1 wad also. You just need a sprites! ;)

EDIT: Ah yes i am work on some my own maps for Heretic now so i can make Heretic Episode 6 cuz that slot only have 3 levels which 2 are can beaten. I think that boss of Episode 6 should be DSparil's ghost. :)

LakiSoft said:

Howewer you cannot make own cluster texts in Vanilla. But converting this mod to Vanilla sounds cool :) It's good thing Doom 1 and Doom 2 uses same .EXE so you can put Doom 2 monster in Doom 1 wad also. You just need a sprites! ;)

Slight correction: Only version 1.666 is the same EXE in both Doom 1 and 2. Versions below 1.666 are Doom 1 only (obviously) and version 1.9 differs significantly between Doom 1, Doom 2, and Final Doom, to the point of demos desyncing even when using identical IWADs.

There's just one more problem though. Vanilla Doom doesn't support sprites in PWADS unless you replace all the sprites, which is naturally illegal if you're talking about the original Doom sprites. It also has various minor issues with using Doom 2 stuff in Doom 1, for example, the super-shotgun can never be selected in Doom 1, except automatically when picking it up the first time; if you switch to a different weapon after picking up the super-shotgun, it's gone forever. I don't know whether there are similar weird issues affecting monsters.