Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Netgear Routers

With my Netgear router, when you block a website and someone tries to pull it up, the router puts up a black page with giant red text stating that said website has been blocked.

What I'd like to know, is if there is any way to make it so that the page comes up as a 404 or 504 error or something on the order of that, so it isn't blaringly obvious that the website is blocked and just looks like it's down on the website's end.

Anyone have any ideas?

If it helps, the Router firmware version is V1.1.2.2.

GreyGhost said:

Stop visiting those sites?

I'm guessing he's trying to prevent children/friends from visiting sites he doesn't want them to at his house.

If your router uses a closed proprietary firmware image, it probably doesn't allow this.

You may be able to get the firmware download and look at it in a hex editor to modify the blocking page.

Alternately, get a good router that runs DD-WRT or Tomato or something like that. Hooray for open source.

personally I think it would be best to just keep it the way it is, least then if a member says this website is blocked can i please have access just today then you can if they have a legit reason

Why not just add those websites to the hosts file of the computers you'd like to block them on?

DoomUK said:

When you can quickly check whether a website is down, is obfuscating the fact that you've blocked it even worth the "effort"?

Because he doesn't know about that web page, and isn't all that technologically savvy.

Aliotroph? said:

Dishonest censorship isn't cool.

I agree. Out of context it probably sounds like a dick move, and even with the context it still may. The fact is, it involves an addiction and a collective attempt at intervention.

Mr. T said:

Why not just add those websites to the hosts file of the computers you'd like to block them on?

Could you explain/elaborate on that?

Xenphire said:

Out of context it probably sounds like a dick move, and even with the context it still may. The fact is, it involves an addiction and a collective attempt at intervention.

Although I don't know what the exact circumstances surrounding this addiction are, from what you describe, the move sounds very justifiable.

To be doubly safe, make that -

127.0.0.1        foo.com
127.0.0.1        www.foo.com
- for each site you want to block. Unusual site prefixes like ww2 or ww3 should also be entered as you encounter them.