Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phendrena

Conveyor Belt

Hi all, i'm back with another quick question...

I would like to setup a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll that activates various triggers as it moves along.

The voodoo doll is fine and the linedef triggers also work.
I can't seem to get my conveyor belt working though.
I would like it to activate when the player moves across the activating linedef or jabs a switch (not decided yet).

How do I set this up?

While i can get a conveyor belt working when i start the level, i can't trigger moving.

Please help,

Cheers

Dave

Gez said:

Take a look at BoomEdit, it has several types of conveyor belts, including switch-activated ones.

Thanks for the wad. It's very interesting but, and feel free to call me thick (if you want), opening the wad in DB2 still doesn't shed any light on how to get the desired effect that I want as I can't figure out the linedef's and sector effects in 'Doom in Hexen' format.
Opening the wad as 'Boom' type does reveal more but not how i'd use them in D-to-H.

Any pointers?

Cheers,

Dave

If you're using Hexen format, why don't you use some ACS instead of a voodoo doll on conveyor belt?

Gez said:

If you're using Hexen format, why don't you use some ACS instead of a voodoo doll on conveyor belt?

I've not really considered scripting tbh as I don't feel confident tackling it tbh. I would like to give it a try so perhaps this could be the ideal opportunity.

Dave

SonicIce said:

how about lowering floors so a voodoo doll lowers onto a power-up? works in vanilla too.
http://jord.nm.ru/doom/voodoocache2.wad

Phendrena said:

I would like to setup a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll that activates various triggers as it moves along.

The only way to get a voodoo doll to move over a trigger in vanilla is to blow it away with a barrel explosion, which has rather undesirable side effects.

Foxpup said:

The only way to get a voodoo doll to move over a trigger in vanilla is to blow it away with a barrel explosion, which has rather undesirable side effects.

I'm using ZDoom, however a barrel explosion might actually fit in with what I'm doing (an earthquake where the floor collapses) so damaging the player would fit with the scenario :)

Dave

I'm still scratching my head with this one tbh.
I have the floor split into three main sections with the middle of the three split into 40 sectors of varying shapes and sizes. The 40 sectors that will drop are split into random pairs that share the same tag. Each pair drops a different height to create a very sunken and broken middle floor.

This works if I whizz over the linedefs myself.
I've had a look at ACS in ZDoom and I honestly can't say I'm upto fiddling with it to any degree just yet.

Would anyone be able to provide a small example script that I could then expand or a working voodoo & conveyor that is triggered.

I appreciate that I am asking quite a lot but I am completely stuck on this one and I'm getting frustrated :(

Thanks for your understanding,

Dave

In one of my maps I use this script, which is triggered when crossing a linedef with ACS_Execute

script 3 (void)

{
    // 120:Radius_Quake ( intensity, duration, damrad, tremrad, tid); 
    //  66:Floor_LowerInstant ( tag, arg1, height);
    //  67:Floor_RaiseInstant ( tag, arg1, height);
    //  35:Floor_RaiseByValueTimes8 ( tag, speed, height);
    //  36:Floor_LowerByValueTimes8 ( tag, speed, height);

Radius_Quake ( 7, 200, 16, 24, 5 );
    Floor_RaiseInstant ( 174, 0, 20 );
    Floor_RaiseByValueTimes8 ( 178, 2, 8 ) ;
    Floor_RaiseByValueTimes8 ( 171, 8, 15 );
    Floor_RaiseInstant       ( 177, 0, 4 );
    delay ( 35*2 ) ;
    Floor_RaiseInstant       ( 170, 0, 25 );
    delay ( 35*2 ) ;
    Floor_RaiseInstant       ( 172, 0, 25 );
    Floor_LowerInstant       ( 169, 0, 100 );
    delay ( 25 ) ;
    Floor_LowerInstant        ( 171, 0, 50 );
    delay ( 35*5 ) ;

Radius_Quake ( 2, 200, 8, 8, 179 );
    Floor_LowerByValue ( 177, 32, 100 );
    Floor_RaiseByValue ( 175, 1, 70 );
    Floor_RaiseByValue ( 175, 32, 80 );
    Floor_RaiseByValue ( 177, 1, 70 );
    Floor_LowerInstant ( 175, 0, 200 );
    Floor_LowerInstant ( 177, 0, 200 );
    delay ( 35*3 ) ;
    Floor_LowerInstant ( 178, 0, 30 );
}
to shift some sectors

to block access

As to the conveyor belt, I don't like to use barrels because some damage is sustained by the player. Instead I use a blocking wall
which is raised to allow the voodoo doll to proceed and trigger whatever event. For example:

Example map

The voodoo doll is moved as far as the blocking wall.
When the switch is activated, the wall is raised and the voodoo doll progresses along the conveyor belt to trigger the linedefs along the way.

If I understand your opening question right, what you want to do is, like Kappes Buur said above me, to block the voodoo doll with a raised floor or a door. When you cross your desired linedef (or press a switch) have the floor lower/door open so that the voodoo doll will scroll over and trigger the linedefs

/facepalm

It NEVER once occurred to me to block the voodoo doll and trigger the blocker to moved out of the way!! So simple!!

I'l liking that script, which map was it used in as i'd like to have a play though and see how it works.

Thank you for you help :) :)

Dave

Right then, happy joy.
Had a play around with the script and its fab. Converted me to using more scripting in my maps as it seems easy enough to do. I've had a good poke through the ZDoom Wiki and read more stuff, liking it.

Thanks for posting the script as its helped me jump into scripting :)

Dave