Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

My First actual WAD: The Lost Moon

Yes that is my mistake of last version, but in BUG FIXES sections it says that slot is change to E2M8 for Vanilla adaptive reasons.

you should update the text file to reflect the part that says the map it replaces is e1m1. Not everyone looks at the bug fixes (I didn't even see the section).

I like the changes. The long hallway with the zombieman is really cool and had a classic doom vibe. I didn't know where to go after I killed the cyb and spidey, but eventually figured it out (almost a secret to find the passage). I might make the slime less strong than the lava (so either make the lava -20 or make the slime -5). The standard values for damaging floors are -20 for lava, -10 for blood and -5 for slime (unless it has glowing edges or is a death pit, in which case it would be -10 or -20 respectively). Right now you have the lava and the slime at the same damage.

I saw a lot of new stuff in the level I hadn't seen before which I mostly liked. I thought the wood rooms with all the barrels and monsters were really well done. The bland square rooms need some texture alignment and maybe to be less bland and square. But the more interesting areas are done really well. It's important to know that the upper part of a two sided line draws textures from the bottom up while and the bottom part of a two sided line draws textures from the top down. One sided lines also draw from the top down. If you want two sided lines to draw from the top down, set them to "upper unpegged" and if you want the bottom of a window or two sided line to tile properly set it to "lower unpegged". Generally windows should always have upper and lower unpegged where they don't tile nicely (such as when used with start* textures).

There are still visual things that need work, like the beginning scrolling sky textures. I'd also make the marble lift have a slightly different floor texture and maybe the lift textures cover the whole lift, and not just part of it. You could also use some light variation in some of the blander rooms (which should be less bland). I really like the 1994 feel of this map, tho.

The map ending when killing the last cyberdemon was a bit abrupt. I don't think you should use the e2m8 trigger. I think instead it would be better to have a bunch of demons release after you kill the last cyberdemon (or some other curve ball) and then you exit through some passageway and cross a w-exit line to freedom or whatever.

Okay, thanks for suggestions. First of all i will back mapslot to E1M1 then i will fix bugs and add more details. :D Anyway FILESMETL uploading site stop working. Now i have to use 2shared or 4shared. :( I hope you guys have 4shared account. :)

Eris Falling said:

Ah yeahyeahyeah, sorry, my bad. Just looked a little strange that's all.

Or maybe i will change mapslot to E4M6? ;) Never knows. ;)

I just finished it, I give you 3 stars.

-The map could've been better if(my opinion) you didn't lost health when walking on normal tiles, no nukage, lava etc.
-You should've put lower unpegged on the side of the doors. Even though it doesn't effect gameplay.

+Large level.
+Lots of enemies.
+Lots of fun for free.
+ I liked the cyberdemon parts.

At some points I saw walls with white, chess kind of textures. are they supposed to be there? If not, how can I fix them? Thanks!

Simp0 said:

I just finished it, I give you 3 stars.

-The map could've been better if(my opinion) you didn't lost health when walking on normal tiles, no nukage, lava etc.
-You should've put lower unpegged on the side of the doors. Even though it doesn't effect gameplay.

+Large level.
+Lots of enemies.
+Lots of fun for free.
+ I liked the cyberdemon parts.

At some points I saw walls with white, chess kind of textures. are they supposed to be there? If not, how can I fix them? Thanks!

Version 1.0 or 1.1? Which source ports you used?
v1.1 has no damage on normal floors. v1.1 slot is E2M8. DOWNLOAD V1.1 and there's no any chess textures in v1.0? Always download latest version for every case. ;)

LakiSoft said:

Okay, thanks for suggestions. First of all i will back mapslot to E1M1 then i will fix bugs and add more details. :D Anyway FILESMETL uploading site stop working. Now i have to use 2shared or 4shared. :( I hope you guys have 4shared account. :)

I suggest trying to rebuild the bland rooms for more interesting design (like the way most the map has interesting and distinct areas) rather than just tacking on details to the existing bland rooms. I think RapidShare is a good file sharing site.

edit: maybe make the cyb/spidey drop down chute darker (like 192) and the room you drop down into 192 or 176 (or maybe 160, 144 or 128 --you should experiment); and leave the teleport fullbright and set it to type 8 (pulsating light). Dunno if you know this, but light levels should be set on an incremental scale of 16 (64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 176, 192, 208, 224, 240)

^edit: you could also add a pillar with a heart in it next to the chute, or a pool of blood, or an impaled dude....

edit: I'm going to post here the rooms I think you should work on.

low priority: the secret with the second RL (in the wood room area) --you already have the RL, why not put something else in the secret? maybe green armor? a couple medkits? anything but a weapon you already have...

low priority: maybe slightly dakren the lift room after you kill the spidey using plasma rifle. Could make that room maybe 176 and add two torches to it, too.

medium priority: the computer room with a switch in it that lowers a teleport (upper left corner of the map) is very sparse. Maybe you do this intentionally, but you could put some decorations in the room like the tall candle lights, or short lamps. Just adding a couple lamps would make a big difference.

The room you teleport into: what about adding a lowered ceiling computer-bob in the center of the room? might make the room a little nicer.

You should go through every full bright room in your map and ask yourself--how can I make the lighting more interesting in this room? What if I simply lowered it a little (or a lot?) Fullbright is good sometimes, tho, you don't want all your rooms 192. Also, you should try to have logic dictate the lighting where possible (like in the outdoor area near the end of the map you have two wooden things that could have shadows beneath them.)

LakiSoft said:

Version 1.0 or 1.1? Which source ports you used?
v1.1 has no damage on normal floors. v1.1 slot is E2M8. DOWNLOAD V1.1 and there's no any chess textures in v1.0? Always download latest version for every case. ;)

I downloaded the older one. You probably fixed them, but I'm too lazy to play it again. Anyway, thanks for the level man! Keep them coming!