Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vendetta

Help with custom weapons

Vendetta said:

Can someone explain to me how I would go about replacing the chaingun with the uzi from Hacx?

There are 3 sets of graphics you will need to replace:

1. The "pick-up" sprite. This is the graphic of the weapon as it sits on the ground.
2. The "heads up display" (HUD) sprites. This is what you see when you've selected a weapon and fire it.
3. The muzzle flash sprites. In DooM/2 these are custom offset (i.e., x- and y-axis position) to fit the chaingun. The uzi muzzle flash sprites from HACX are properly offset for the weapon, and the offset will likely be copied over when you insert the graphics into your DooM wad, but just make sure.

You'll need a utility such as Slade, which is currently supported, or XWE, which is not supported any more. [This is a tutorial on replacing textures, but it can just as easily be used for replacing sprites.]

The best way to do a simple replacement is to use one of these utilities to open up HACX, find your graphics, save them into a folder on your computer, rename them to those of the chaingun graphics in DooM, then insert them into your wad using the same utility between the markers [SS_START] and [SS_END].

You'll also need to replace the sounds. Slade and XWE can be used for this task too.

[EDIT: If your custom wad (known as a PWAD) is for DooM.exe or DooM2.exe (i.e., not one of the so-called limit-removing source ports) you will not be able to do a simple replacement. Sprite lumps and flats cannot be added or replaced via pwads unless they ALL are. That is, ALL sprites' lumps must be located in a single wad file, and ALL flats' lumps must be in a single wad file. (From Matt Fell's Unofficial DooM Specs.) It is illegal to include original DooM graphics in a PWAD, but you can use DeHacked to "append" the sprites from DooM/2.wad, without breaching any copyrights. Alternatively, you can simply require the use of a source port that allows insertion of custom sprite graphics, in which case you won't need DeHacked; a simple graphics replacement will work.]

ReX said:

There are 3 sets of graphics you will need to replace:

1. The "pick-up" sprite. This is the graphic of the weapon as it sits on the ground.
2. The "heads up display" (HUD) sprites. This is what you see when you've selected a weapon and fire it.
3. The muzzle flash sprites. In DooM/2 these are custom offset (i.e., x- and y-axis position) to fit the chaingun. The uzi muzzle flash sprites from HACX are properly offset for the weapon, and the offset will likely be copied over when you insert the graphics into your DooM wad, but just make sure.

You'll need a utility such as Slade, which is currently supported, or XWE, which is not supported any more. [This is a tutorial on replacing textures, but it can just as easily be used for replacing sprites.]

The best way to do a simple replacement is to use one of these utilities to open up HACX, find your graphics, save them into a folder on your computer, rename them to those of the chaingun graphics in DooM, then insert them into your wad using the same utility between the markers [SS_START] and [SS_END].

You'll also need to replace the sounds. Slade and XWE can be used for this task too.

[EDIT: If your custom wad (known as a PWAD) is for DooM.exe or DooM2.exe (i.e., not one of the so-called limit-removing source ports) you will not be able to do a simple replacement. Sprite lumps and flats cannot be added or replaced via pwads unless they ALL are. That is, ALL sprites' lumps must be located in a single wad file, and ALL flats' lumps must be in a single wad file. (From Matt Fell's Unofficial DooM Specs.) It is illegal to include original DooM graphics in a PWAD, but you can use DeHacked to "append" the sprites from DooM/2.wad, without breaching any copyrights. Alternatively, you can simply require the use of a source port that allows insertion of custom sprite graphics, in which case you won't need DeHacked; a simple graphics replacement will work.]

I did all that but the sprite just goes straight to the top left and has a black border around it. How can I upload my wad so you guys can look at it?

Vendetta said:

I did all that but the sprite just goes straight to the top left and has a black border around it. How can I upload my wad so you guys can look at it?

This suggests 2 problems:

1. Your sprite offsets are incorrect (in this case, non-existent). Your resource editor will allow you to specify the x- and y-coordinates of your image (I believe it uses the left corner, but you ought to be able to figure this out). Adjust your offsets to position the sprite correctly. Your best bet is to first look at the offsets in HACX, then duplicate them in your replacement graphics.
2. When you copied the sprite images from HACX, it used the corresponding transparency definition. Your resource editor probably has a different transparency definition. For example, DeepSea uses the color magenta to indicate a transparent portion of the image. XWE uses cyan. I'm not sure, but other resource editors may use black. DooM uses the transparency definition passed to it by the resource editor, and knows when to render a portion of the image as transparent. Depending on which editor you're using, you may need to edit the images to use the corresponding transparency color.

As an alternative, you should simply open both HACX and your wad using the same resource editor (e.g., SLADE). While both wads are open, copy and paste the sprite images from HACX to your wad. [Paste them between SS_START & SS_END markers. Your wad will not have such markers by default, and you'll need to create them - an easy task.] I believe the offsets and the transparency definitions will be automatically carried over. Then, simply rename the new graphics with the corresponding names of DooM's sprites. Do the same with the sounds.

Let me know if you're still having problems.