Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glenzinho

CWILV graphics help (resolved!)

Hi all
I've been trying to create a new CWILV graphic for use in vanilla/chocolate, but choc crashes with a Bad V_DrawPatch error. I can't figure out what's wrong, as I used to to do this all the time in the 90s. I was using a combination of the original level name graphics and a graphic created by Doomword... any ideas?

What are the patch's dimensions and x/y offsets? I vaguely recall vanilla bombing out if CWILV was more than about 64 pixels tall.

I had no problems with a 125x20 patch. Anything in Chocolate Doom's stdout.txt that might point to the problem?

glenzinho said:

I've tried saving it as GIF and BMP and neither work.

Uh, you're not saving it as a GIF or BMP in the actual WAD, are you? I mean, you did convert it to a Doom-format graphic, right? Right?

No, I'm saving it in Paint.Net as a GIF or BMP... when I change it to Doom Format in SlumpEd it screws the colours up.

This is it, for my map in the Doom 2 in Name Only project...

In the 90s I just used to put a GIF format picture in a wad and it would work no problems.

@GreyGhost: Nothing in the stdout.txt ot stderr.txt file either... it didn't save any crash settings, just what was loaded in Chocolate from the previous thing I was doing.

glenzinho said:

No, I'm saving it in Paint.Net as a GIF or BMP... when I change it to Doom Format in SlumpEd it screws the colours up.

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/1495/cwilv12.png
This is it, for my map in the Doom 2 in Name Only project...

In the 90s I just used to put a GIF format picture in a wad and it would work no problems.

Older tools converted graphics into Doom format automatically, since no source ports existed at the time which could handle other formats (Vanilla Doom, and by extension, Chocolate Doom, cannot use graphics in any format other than the standard Doom format). Modern tools assume that WAD authors know what they're doing when it comes to graphic formats (which is a questionable assumption at best) and won't convert anything unless you tell it to. Speaking of modern tools, you should really upgrade to SLADE 3, it has many improvements over SLumpEd, especially when it comes to handling graphics.

Foxpup said:

Modern tools assume that WAD authors know what they're doing when it comes to graphic formats (which is a questionable assumption at best)

Ain't that the truth ;)

BTW, this is what I got when I tried to download Slade 3:

Don't think I'll be touching this one just yet...

glenzinho said:

Ain't that the truth ;)

BTW, this is what I got when I tried to download Slade 3:
*Silly Norton Img*

Don't think I'll be touching this one just yet...

Did you get it from slade.mancubus.net? If you did its safe and Norton's being retarded again

sgt dopey said:

Did you get it from slade.mancubus.net? If you did its safe and Norton's being retarded again

Dunno... I've had Norton for 2 years and I've never seen a warning like this one.
Downloaded an SVN from DRDTeam anyways and that seems to have fixed it... Cheers GG & Foxpup!

Nature of the threat:

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

Basically, all it needs is for one troll to misleadingly report the file as malicious to fuck it up for all the other Norton users. Zandronum has been targeted by the same thing too.

The thing to do would be to tell Norton that the file is actually perfectly fine, so as to repair its reputation.

It didn't even give me the option of downloading it, it automatically removed the file.. anyway the svn worked a treat!