Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LakiSoft

Blasphemer?

This project is for heretic but it has same goal as a Freedoom. I see it's very unfinished and maybe is so dead. I mean latest version is made in April. Developers didn't do anything with it until then. So is there anyway to i contact Blasphemer authors because i want to help? :)

Freedoom uses deutex as well. It's not difficult to learn how to use it, and it makes a lot of sense for a large-scale project like this.

Depending on what you want to help out with, you might not need to use it at all.

But XWE and SLADE3 are way better. Deutex requires goddamn work with parameters. I also have Wintex which is WIn32 deutex but it says that cannot find DEUSF.EXE. Why they didn't put DEUSF with Wintex like with Deutex?

DeuTex is only needed if you're 'building from source' as it were. It was chosen for this purpose because it can be run from a script to put together the IWAD. It serves a different purpose than GUI programs.

For regular editing you can pretty much use whatever tools you want, although submitting files under a form DeuTex can use makes inclusion a lot more expedient.

LakiSoft said:

I only use XWE!

Please learn to use Slade 3 instead of XWE. I don't want to see another new user fall victim to using shitty, outdated, buggy and unmaintained tools. XWE can corrupt your WAD files, and beyond that it does a lot of things incorrectly.

LakiSoft said:

But XWE and SLADE3 are way better. Deutex requires goddamn work with parameters.

As I explained (but perhaps not well enough), they're fine tools: they simply aren't appropriate for a project of this size. For a project of the size of Freedoom, you need a tool that's scriptable - where you can repeatedly build a WAD automatically.

Someone (I forget who) made this cartoon some time ago that illustrates the absurdity of using a GUI tool for something like this:

Gez said:

Good to know. deutex does the job but it has some annoying limitations. It would be good to be able to switch to something nicer. A while back I considered writing a replacement based on Fredrik's OMGIFOL, but I never really got round to it.

Catoptromancy said:

I think the main point is he does not need to worry about deutex at all. Make some material, submit it.

Also true. deutex is an implementation detail that should be 99% irrelevant to most people submitting content.

Sodaholic said:

Please learn to use Slade 3 instead of XWE. I don't want to see another new user fall victim to using shitty, outdated, buggy and unmaintained tools. XWE can corrupt your WAD files, and beyond that it does a lot of things incorrectly.

XWE is not buggy as you think guys. In past i also thinks same but when time past, now i know why XWE was buggy. You must be careful what are you doing. Moving files, adding them, deleteing them can't corupt your WAD anymore! But SLADE3 won't run on my computer. Even SLADE1.22! :(

LakiSoft said:

You must be careful what are you doing.

This is exactly why it's a bad editor. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops or tread carefully to do even the most basic of tasks the way you want to. Slade 3 is more capable, efficient, AND you don't have to "be very careful" about stuff.

Sodaholic trolling tip: mention that you use XWE, especially if you are a new user. This will drive him mad and he will feel a strong personal responsibility to make sure that you are using the 'correct' tools so that you don't fall into what he perceives as bad editing habits. To troll him even harder, keep giving counter-points as to why you believe XWE is fine too, and continue to use it.

No seriously, though. All XWE users, please stop using XWE. It's bad, m'kay?

LakiSoft said:

But SLADE3 won't run on my computer. Even SLADE1.22! :(

Damn, that sucks. What version of Windows are you running? Is it up to date? Does it give you an error message? If so, what does it say? Does it just not start at all, without even as much as an error message?

LakiSoft said:

Windows XP PWNS Windows Vista and Se7en!

I'm assuming that you have XP installed, based on that statement. You didn't fully answer my questions, though.

1. Is your copy of XP up to date? All service packs and patches and stuff?
2. Is it giving you an error message when you start Slade 3? Yes? No? If yes, what does the error message say?

LakiSoft said:

But SLADE3 won't run on my computer.

I have no problems running Slade3 on XP (with Service Pack 3), have you also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package?

Sodaholic said:

No seriously, though. All XWE users, please stop using XWE. It's bad, m'kay?

To paraphrase an NRA slogan "I'll give up XWE when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!". :P

Sodaholic said:

I'm assuming that you have XP installed, based on that statement. You didn't fully answer my questions, though.

1. Is your copy of XP up to date? All service packs and patches and stuff?
2. Is it giving you an error message when you start Slade 3? Yes? No? If yes, what does the error message say?

I am using XP SP1. SLADE3 wants shitty NET FRAMEWORK UPDATE! :(

And why wouldn't you update it to SP3? It's free after all. I was testing Slade 3 here and it looks more complete than XWE. Also, people say it's more stable.

LakiSoft said:

I am using XP SP1.

I don't know if it's vital to running Slade 3 or not, but you might want to consider getting SP3 anyway.

LakiSoft said:

SLADE3 wants shitty NET FRAMEWORK UPDATE!

So, update it then? What's wrong with doing so? All you do is download the installer and it does its thing.

LakiSoft said:

SLADE3 wants shitty NET FRAMEWORK UPDATE! :(

That is very interesting since it doesn't actually use .NET for anything. Maybe you've confused it with DB2?

LakiSoft said:

I am using XP SP1. SLADE3 wants shitty NET FRAMEWORK UPDATE! :(

If you insist on running an obsolete release of an obsolete version of Windows, you shouldn't be surprised when new software starts requiring components you don't have. .NET has been a standard component of Windows for over 10 years now and considering it's free to download and install anyway, it's laughable that you're even complaining.

No thanks. I don't want to install these shits. XWE is my friend and always will be. ;) You people don't even know why is XWE doing these things. :(

XWE is a poorly coded program in an EXTREMELY bad API (VCL) in a language that encourages poor OO design (Delphi). I know *exactly* why it does what it does when it trashes your IWADs, corrupts your levels, and deletes your backups. And I have no pity on anybody still using it after they learn these things first hand.

Why don't you go back to Windows 98 then? it's the most stable Windows to date. ¬¬"

this guy... *sigh*

The problem with Windows (well one of them, lol) is that Microsoft is always wanting to force moar bloatage down your throat. I think it's commendable to try and resist them, but you're going about it the wrong way. Get yourself a Linux distro and you'll be able to run SLADE without all that lame doht-Net shit. As a side-benefit, you won't risk your projects to crash-happy XWE.

Sorry guys but XWE is just perfect, simple program. I also in past thinks as you guys. I was saying in that time "Why this shit are always crashes without readon?! >:(" But now i know why. You can freely adding, removeing, replaceing without problems. 1% chance are to crash!