Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: JENESIS (open to suggestions for next WAD)

haha I think if I did play through it my posts would probably contain more than 50% expletives :P
Doom 2 reloaded is good, would be nice to play through it again
Combat shock 2 is shorter and might be more compatible and prevent the mass leaving of the thread part way through (sorry I was one of those this time)
Scythe 2 - great, Vanguard same, Zones of fear didn't really make me go wow, but you will definitely get some interesting discussion on the varying quality of the wad.

Doom 2 reloaded looks interesting. I think i had a go at eternal doom once and gave up from not knowing where to go, zones of fear I also gave up on (due to one particularly horrible map with stupid puzzles). I cant remember vanguard, scythe2 and c-shock 2 are of course always welcome. I'll go along with anything really but yeah - don't want it to become just me and someone else posting so lets see how much demand there is.

continuing to play catchup with writeups

map 26
HMP

RIP Stumpy

The 3-key door at the end is one way. As I was playing casually, it didn't bother me to noclip out to finish locating secrets and missing monsters but definitely surprised me. Just a caution for completionists.

Hey, there's a revenant curve except with 12 revenants rather than 120. Did some backtracking to land 100% kills; there's some items I skipped that have ambushes connected to them.
The textfile warns about the difficulty and it delivers. Evil revenant placement and tricky archvile encounters along with one way paths attempt to break brave souls who tackle this without savegames. It can be frustrating to be splattered by a cyber. Crossing over to their side is definitely the way to go but eating a rocket before even making it there...

Memorable encounters
- Revenants in area before blue skull; you're pretty much always in sight of one.
- Archviles guarding the blue skull where hiding from one takes getting in sight of another
- mini revenant curve and archvile encounter that will almost surely cause damage without the BFG
- archvile on top of stairway with dozens of hellknights

maybe not my favorite to play (save scummed quite a bit going through) but effective at what it does. Encounters are difficult but don't give off a BS impression.

map 27

Sure, snagging a BFG right off looks nice on the surface. It comes off as a disguised act of evil since the next room features dangers that rockets or a plasma rifle would be better suited to handling. I ended up killing off both archviles guarding the red skull long before reaching it. Hiding them in lowered pits that raised later might work out better, especially since one can be quite dickish attacking the player in the area behind the yellow door while not being visible.

map 28
HMP

The destination is clearly marked on the automap from the start: nifty bit of attention to detail and adds to the atmosphere. Atmosphere comes off as subdued and low-key (great music selection too) which I welcomed after the intensity of the last two maps. Pistol start offers a different experience than coming in loaded with more monsters than you have ammo to handle right away. Make use of those mad monster manipulating skills to survive finding enough ammo and weapons. Easier than I make it sound to do and the rest of the map before the boss arena is easy in comparison. I do appreciate not having to fight on the narrow ledge navigating sequence.
Throwing down a savegame before triggering the boss arena is recommended to prevent playing through the whole map again in case of failure. It's a bit of a timed puzzle and running backwards to reach the last switch came in handy.
This map is on my list of favorites from the megawad even though I have trouble explaining in words.

Memfis said:

Eternal Doom should make a very entertaining thread, just imagine all the rage from people being totally lost. :D

Or it could be a very silent thread, as people just give up and stop playing. Personally, I wouldn't even start.

finishing up writeups

map 29
HMP

This is a welcome departure from the "map 29 needs to be a slaughterfest" mindset. I find it atmospheric in the depiction of an area that was once inhabited complete with living quarters and an office. Rest of the map has that Doomy abstract feel.
So how does it play? Even though it isn't a slaughter and I didn't find a deadly individual encounter, it's not a cakewalk. Ammo is in short supply (at first anyways) and the first outdoor area has quite a few monsters that peck away from far away. The rather relaxed difficulty once in control makes this fun for replays. I didn't figure out how to access the BFG though.

map 30
HMP

The drop into the arena is nifty. I'm glad there's no shooting the core from a moving platform either. It's neat how the design gives the player some say in when the spawners are alerted. There is a built in way to create a rather safe attack point which requires some work so it's challenging yet fair.
I'll admit this is the only map in my 32 map journey that I didn't even try for 100% kills. Just wanted to get the map over with so picked a side, did its mini-trial, and finished off the core with a map completion time of about 3 minutes.

I'm all for it, as always. Been slouching on Doom recently and running through my Steam backlog. Shall we choose something old, or are we waiting for all the late releases initially slated for this year (TNT2, Interception, Hadephobia etc.)?

A good wad we could warm up to that I always wanted to finish was MAYhem, as I don't remember many people talking about it and think it should get its time in the spotlight. We could always play a classic though, like Momento Mori or Alien Vendetta. The former would be my choice since I haven't played that in like a decade.

Due to vested interests (as in, having made 1/6th of the maps), I'd be happy to see MAYhem get some love and attention. Hell, I'd even play through it again myself to join in with this thread :P

Phobus said:

Due to vested interests (as in, having made 1/6th of the maps), I'd be happy to see MAYhem get some love and attention. Hell, I'd even play through it again myself to join in with this thread :P

This, in the same boat.

Here is the /idgames archive link for MAYhem. It's only 12 levels rather than the usual 32 and the maps are speed-mapped (well... MAP12 took two guys at least a whole month, but the others are generally much smaller and quicker) so it should be a pretty easy play-through for the club if it does get chosen!

EDIT: If we do MAYhem to warm up, not only will I play that, but I'd be happy to give MM another play through too as part of the megawad club afterwards. It's been years since I played it and my memories of it are now incredibly vague... In fact, even if we don't do MAYhem I'll probably join in wth MM :P

I think it's an excellent idea overall, and I'm all for it this time.

I've never heard about MAYhem, but I'll readily give it a go :)

And if it matters at all, my personal candidate would be Plutonia 2. I'm kind of on the fence about the megawad, that is to say, it's no doubt quality work, but some maps detract from the Plutonia feel a bit too much in my humble opinion. On the other hand, there are a number of masterpieces too.