Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Simp0

My first level

This is my first level. It's not the perfect one, but I'm still learning. I used Doom 2 textures and basic music. I recommend you to use Zdoom, Ulta-Violence and Disable jump.

Download link:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/3AaF3t8E/MAP01.html

I'm currently working on my second level and it will be much better, I hope. Please, comment & suggest!

EDIT: So here's the mediafire link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6oogbjymr1es7zi

Memfis said:

I'm too lazy to register, can you upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ please?

I didn't notice that you must register in order to download the file, I'm sorry. Majority of the community is probably using mediafire, I might as well sign up there too.

Well, it's your first map and you're obviously still learning so I'm not going to criticize it much, but I will comment on a few things:
- If you go in the first teleporter and jump down without hitting the switch first, you're stuck. That's not nice. Learn to playtest, always try to find ways to break your own maps.
- What's the point of putting pain elemental behind the fence? :) Funny moment.
- SR switches (the ones that you can press many times) confuse the player. You should replace them with S1 switches

Not bad at all for a first map. There is actually some fun fights and nice looking areas.

Back in the day people used to setup a free geocities homepage and then you could download directly, without even wading through all the lame corporate upsseling ("upgrade to pro for hella fast download!") and no waiting in queues. And no friggin' captcha! When I see one of those damn things I wanna frag the screen!!! (finally a real use for the Doom for Sysadmins Hack: to kill -9 the browser process!) *eg*

But there are still lots of free web hosts, and even google gives you free web space for homepage, code repository, etc... Too bad so many people use the lame sharing sites instead. It's just sad they have overtaken the legitimate hosting sites that didn't exist solely to punish and mock the users.

Oh yeah, don't forget screenshot of your map, sometimes that helps get people interested...

Memfis said:

Well, it's your first map and you're obviously still learning so I'm not going to criticize it much, but I will comment on a few things:
- If you go in the first teleporter and jump down without hitting the switch first, you're stuck. That's not nice. Learn to playtest, always try to find ways to break your own maps.
- What's the point of putting pain elemental behind the fence? :) Funny moment.
- SR switches (the ones that you can press many times) confuse the player. You should replace them with S1 switches

Not bad at all for a first map. There is actually some fun fights and nice looking areas.

Okay, Thanks man! I appreciate this!

hex11 said:

Back in the day people used to setup a free geocities homepage and then you could download directly, without even wading through all the lame corporate upsseling ("upgrade to pro for hella fast download!") and no waiting in queues. And no friggin' captcha! When I see one of those damn things I wanna frag the screen!!! (finally a real use for the Doom for Sysadmins Hack: to kill -9 the browser process!) *eg*

But there are still lots of free web hosts, and even google gives you free web space for homepage, code repository, etc... Too bad so many people use the lame sharing sites instead. It's just sad they have overtaken the legitimate hosting sites that didn't exist solely to punish and mock the users.

Oh yeah, don't forget screenshot of your map, sometimes that helps get people interested...

In the future, I try to remember to put some pictures. Thanks!

Hi, it was nice to play a map that was not obnoxiously difficult. However I ran out of ammo twice and had to finish one of the Revenants at the end with a chainsaw - which I've never done in 17 years of playing Doom, not even when bored and using cheats. I had to dodge the last Arch-Vile because I only had 4 shotgun shells remaining. Even that was because I found the secret rocket launcher. I had to leave a few monsters alive due to lack of ammo.

You should add at least one more box each of bullets and shells, and not make the rocket launcher secret. Some sections of the map would have been a pain in the arse without the RL.

EDIT: Actually I left a lot of monsters alive - I didn't bother fighting the monsters trapped behind the fence either.

MajorRawne said:

Hi, it was nice to play a map that was not obnoxiously difficult. However I ran out of ammo twice and had to finish one of the Revenants at the end with a chainsaw - which I've never done in 17 years of playing Doom, not even when bored and using cheats. I had to dodge the last Arch-Vile because I only had 4 shotgun shells remaining. Even that was because I found the secret rocket launcher. I had to leave a few monsters alive due to lack of ammo.

You should add at least one more box each of bullets and shells, and not make the rocket launcher secret. Some sections of the map would have been a pain in the arse without the RL.

EDIT: Actually I left a lot of monsters alive - I didn't bother fighting the monsters trapped behind the fence either.

That is a problem what I need to practice for. I put a plasma cannon(shoots blue balls, key 6), ammo and backpack near the blue key. You must take the blue key, wait for the elevator to rise and walktrought the window(or just jump, I hoped that people wouldn't use jump). Anyway, I thought that people would've found all the secrets. I don't know why I put them secret in the first place, if you MUST find them to survive. Thanks for the tip!

This wad is very good for your first. It was certainly a challenge due to the lack of ammo and small rooms, which is great.
Apart from a few mis-aligned textures and having to use 2 teleporters for 1 teleport, it was a good wad.

Pretty neat level; I don't know how to describe it, but I always get a weird feeling when I play amateur levels. I'm always intrigued and fascinated by the stuff that is noticably absent from more "refined" maps, like crazy texture matching and keen architecture/layout.

Few pointers:

Ammo is considerably low. I feel like health is too. Requiring the player to get secrets in order to find weapons is okay, but not when it's necessary to get 100% kills usually. After a few missed shots, I pretty much ran by every major monster you put in the map (never found the rocket launcher or plasma).

As Memfis pointed out, the Pain Elemental behind the bars can't hurt player. The blinking areas with the specters in it was pretty neat, although they all came rushing at me at the same time in the red key corridor, which negated their threat.

Spacing was nice, you gave enough room for the player to move around. Other than that, it's up to you to develop as an author and learn layout/enemy movement more and more. Good start though, I did play through until the end.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just played your WAD and I have some things to say about it. The WAD was pretty fun to play and I found all the secrets too. There are some problems though.

• With all the enemies, there's a bit too little ammo. I think you should have placed more ammo.
  • Around sector 98 is a glitch with a effects similar to the HOM effect.
  • The area with the big red key door with the rising floor has an inescapable pit as well as the room with the super shotgun, and inescapable pits are unnecessary.
  • The Pain Elemental in the cage could not fire his Lost Souls at me because it did not have enough open space to do so.
  • The waterfall secret was a bit too easy to find because it showed up easily on the automap. The linedefs should have been marked as a secret.
  • The gray doors in the metal hallway were too tall for the textures.
  • The hallway with the flashing lights was bland and uninteresting.
  • I realize that this MAP is in ZDoom (Doom in Doom) format with wall textures as floor textures and some choices of wall textures for floors are not good.
  • Sector 41 is not needed and could serve as a non-sector box.
Overall this WAD is pretty good, but it could have been much better. It's however a good start.

please get in the habit of posting screenshots when posting your maps for download, because myself and im sure alot of other people wont even bother clicking on the link if there are no pictures of anything related to the map or maps.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I become better everyday. I've had some "vacation" from doom and I will continue my 2nd map soon. I use my knowledge. Your suggestions/tips will be notified as I continue my map making in the future. My imagination is wild, so some crazy/funny levels will arrive soon :)

I played your level, killed everything and found all the secrets. For a first level it's really nice. Have fun creating more maps!