Election 2012: Conservatards vs Librodouches

Elect!  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Elect!

• Obama
    • Romney
    • Others
    • Huy is a Faggot

I don't like either, but at least with Romney, Ministry could potentially come out with another good album. They tend to do that with Republican presidents.

PRIMEVAL said:

I don't like either, but at least with Romney, Ministry could potentially come out with another good album. They tend to do that with Republican presidents.

Relapse didn't exactly suck, though. I think Al's starting to realize that it's same shit different day with a candidate from either party.

Romney's an asshole and Obama's a lame duck; personally, I don't like either, but Obama clearly hates Harper, so he's already in my good books.

I think I accidentally voted for Romney in this poll, can I ask for a recount?

Alcohol Poisoning edition:

Take a shot everytime...
Barack Obama:
Millionaires
Voucher
"Let me be clear"
Bain
Inherited
Invest
General Motors
Middle Class
Families
Clinton

Mitt Romney:
16 trillion
Unemployment
ObamaCare
"My friend"
Job Creators
716 billion
Redistribute
Private Sector
Work
Reagan

I can't stand listening to this shit. I found it kinda funny when all of the numbered points Romney was bringing up early in the debate were all things that were pretty much entirely parallel to what Obama was saying. I don't know if I want to vote, neither candidates are really different enough, and the electoral college chooses anyway, not the voters. Only way to win the game is not to play.

I'm just glad I did not have to work tonight (I work at DU).

The debate was definitely interesting to watch, and I felt like Romney constantly looked like a whiny idiot. But still, when you get right down to it, the difference between the candidates is so incredibly small that it almost doesn't matter which one you vote for. So most people will end up voting not because candidate X is better, but because candidate Y sucks and so X is simply safer. Then when you add the whole electoral college silliness on top of it, the question of who to vote for becomes even less of an issue.

The charade that is the debates is fun to watch because of what it actually is: WWF-style entertainment.

I don't get why politicians are basically treated as celebrities. I was actually within approx. 30-50 feet of Obama himself, in person, during one of his speeches in Akron, Ohio, and didn't feel all that exited. The crowd around me was completely ecstatic, and I felt kinda confused that they were. It's just a person, jeez.

During the line to get into the convention center, a columnist from the LA Times actually came up to interview my mother and I, and my mom was quoted in the article.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/23/nation/la-na-obama-volunteers-20120823

I gave some input as well, mostly talking about how the candidates aren't really all that willing to do anything major to stamp out the problems of corrupted corporations, military, and rich people screwing everything up, as well as the whole political system being rigged. They chose not to quote me. :P

Sodaholic said:

During the line to get into the convention center, a columnist from the LA Times actually came up to interview my mother and I, and my mom was quoted in the article.

Your mother's a Web designer?

GreyGhost said:

Your mother's a Web designer?

No, public education teacher.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I just checked the article, mentioning that the web designer's son is only 2 years old. Very funny, asshole.

yukib1t said:

The debate was definitely interesting to watch, and I felt like Romney constantly looked like a whiny idiot. But still, when you get right down to it, the difference between the candidates is so incredibly small that it almost doesn't matter which one you vote for.

Besides the fact one is a complete and corporate shill. You think Cheney got away with murder... If Romney's energy plan goes unopposed, you won't have a square inch of land without a oil/gas rig.

That, and he proposes we Canadian's ship over our crude for processing to have it sold back to us at a premium. And Harper will bend over for him.

I'll just paste my FB status...

Apparently what I was watching WASN'T the debate, because everyone says Romney won. He was "assertive" and "dominant".

Actually, he was a pushy asshole. He interrupted the President and the moderator, didn't give a shit about his time limits, wanted to get the last word in and thought nothing of blabbering on until he got to his point instead of sorting out his thoughts like an intellectual person.

More importantly, his ideas were horseshit and he lives in a fantasy world where everybody gets everything they want. But maybe I'm stupid in thinking solutions matter more than showmanship when we're talking about the future of the country.

Vote for these assholes (either one will do) if you want more of the same shit: more debt, more constitutional rights taken away, and all that fun stuff.

Four important domestic issues not covered in the debate:

1. Immigration
2. Gay marriage
3. Drug policy reform
4. Veterans affairs.

They spent 85% of their time rehashing the economy, "role" of government, and healthcare. Lame.

Romney did a fine job but ultimately his policies amount to shortsighted pandering to upper echelon elites and he refused to take proper credit for his healthcare plan so as not to anger the reactionary Republicans. Obama lost a bit of momentum but he's still comfortably on top of the contest and will win a 2nd term. He earned it, too. Osama bin Laden is dead/al Qaeda demolished, General Motors is alive, the troops are out of Iraq, and the global economy isn't a smoking crater.

TheCupboard said:

the troops are out of Iraq

Because it's a clusterfuck of a shithole and couldn't hack it anymore.

TheCupboard said:

and the global economy isn't a smoking crater.

Well...it's still being bombarded and you can't see it yet, if that's what you mean.

Both Mitt and Barack have been bought by the same people. It really does not matter who you vote for at this point. America has reached another point in its history where if people really want change, they are going to have to force it.

TheCupboard said:

Four important domestic issues not covered in the debate:

1. Immigration
2. Gay marriage
3. Drug policy reform
4. Veterans affairs.

They spent 85% of their time rehashing the economy, "role" of government, and healthcare. Lame.

Yeah but see, those are complex issues. If a candidate can't explain how to fix everything with a quick zinger in 10 words or less and get it done tomorrow, I don't want him.

This is america god dammit! We want easy answers and we want them now.

American politics is weird: the political system seems to polarise everyone to extremes, two antagonistic sides bitterly opposed to each other, yet there's very little actual difference in policies between the two sides. To some extent we have a similar situation here in Britain but it's much more watered down. America seems to have it turned right up to 11, and events like the debt ceiling crisis last year make me wonder if it's only a matter of time before the antagonistic politics cause a much more serious crisis situation.

Is it just me or do things seem to have got much worse over the past 10 years? Admittedly I didn't use to follow American politics so closely so perhaps it's just that I've been paying more attention recently, but I don't remember it being quite this crazy. If Democrats used to hate Bush, it certainly seems like Republicans hate Obama 10x as much. Where is this going to lead?

If I had to guess the main problem I'd say the two party system was to blame, and the two party system exists because of the plurality voting system. The possibility of any voting reform looks next to non-existent though: certainly nobody talks about it, and I can just imagine any plans for reform being attacked as an anti-democratic plot to rig the elections. It's a shame that the AV referendum here in Britain failed, as if it had passed, it could perhaps have inspired Americans to make similar reforms.

Oh well, read once more Farenheit 451 and read again your post. Chances are the more you'll read common people advocating their political side, the more it will look fucked up to you.

fraggle said:

Is it just me or do things seem to have got much worse over the past 10 years?

As far as I can tell, it has. Mostly just the paranoia and extremity of views, as well as a burst of "patriotism" and lack of rational thought pretty much occurred as both 9/11 and the snowballing effects of the aftermath happened. The fall of the USSR brought on irrational hatred of any market regulation, and the fall of the twin towers brought on irrational fear of foreigners and any religion that isn't Judaism or Christianity, as well as a huge host of other problematic thinking. Both of these events fostered an insane political culture of denial of even the possibility that the way we do things could be even slightly flawed, and people just ran with it.

It led to being fanatics of the 'MURRCAN way, which is unquestioning loyalty to your bought politicians and the corporations they represent, excessive force in "justice", the police force, and especially our military, and not helping a lending hand to anyone in a rut.

As long as the politicians continue to play Retards r'us there's no chance for any improvement. The USA will go down and eventually will no longer play a significant role in international politics.

And no, neither side is better than the other, it's idiots all around. But in the current situation the choice is not for the better leader but for the lesser idiot and that still seems to be Obama.

Maes said:

Well...it's still being bombarded and you can't see it yet, if that's what you mean.

Yep, give it a few more months. The US is heading to another crash and this one will be the worst one yet. It will also send shockwaves through the international market worse the then Euro crisis has up to now.

The US government is trillions of dollars in debit, interdependent economists put the real figure close to 30 trillion. The US government is borrowing billions of dollars a day from the Federal Reserve a everyday just to keep afloat. Its like running up a huge amount of debit, then making the minimum payments with a credit card. At some point you are going to run out of credit.

On the flip side all this money the Fed is printing is artificially inflating the money supply. Thus causing massive inflation. All in all the US Gov is burning the candle at both ends. If or should I say when something gives there is a good chance we will see a significant drop in the over all value of the dollar. Even a small drop, like 10 or 15 percent, will have a disastrous effect. Factor in the fact that the dollar is the reserve currency for a number of countries and that the US is still the economic engine of world, its going to get ugly.

There is a bright side to this though. If you look at whats going on internationally, the US is becoming more isolated and in many ways countries are severing ties with the US. One of the more telling signs of this is the fact that even after the US gov told various NATO and UN officials not to, several high ranking officials went to the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting this year. Countries such as China have been stockpiling gold for awhile now. So it looks like other countries are preparing for the worse and not allowing the US gov to push there government around.

Romney is completely out of touch with reality and allround asshole. I'm amazed there's even a contest. I mean, shouldn't there be a somekind of requirement of rationality for being a president. What the heck?