Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Demon_Collector

Sever the Wicked

Need a little help. I Sever the Wicked- (UD, Ep4 M3) how many secrets are there? It says 22 when I play yet I don't find them all and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret. Is there something wrong with my IWAD

Yes, but don't worry; it's also wrong in all other Ultimate Doom IWADs out there.

In Doom, a secret is a sector that is marked as being secret. But a sector is usually just a part of a room. Let's say you have a stairway with 20 steps: each of these steps is a different sector...

So, there are really only three different secret areas in that map. One is a monster closet (it counts as one secret); another is the torches in the alcove near the red key (count as two secrets, but you have to noclip to get them since the torches block you from entering these sectors), and the last is the room with a soul sphere (counts as nineteen secrets because each step of the stairway is secret).

Demon_Collector said:

and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret.

Are you sure you can get 100%? 20 out of 22, that is, 90% on the tally screen is maximum AFAIK.

Well, vdgg, I suppose your crystal ball told you that

and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret

means he got 100% secrets at the tally screen after E4M3, in which case the next proper question would be to ask what he plays it with. I'd be interested to know what port automatically adjusts the percentages on maps with known issues to produce 100% and, moreover, does so randomly. If that's what it is, of course, because my crystal ball simply sez "does not compute".

Demon_Collector said:

Need a little help.

Start here.

Hehe, I guess speedrunners were really annoyed by those stairs? Easy to miss a secret or two. :)

The clamourous din of this area in question when played in a port that is noisy about secrets (ex., ZDoom, PrBoom-Plus) is something you will never forget once you have experienced it.

A SECRET IS REVEALED! ::CHONGGGGGG::

Just play it in Chocolate Doom instead ;)

Haha, I've even disabled on-screen messages in Choco-Doom. An old habit from my DOS-Box days when I had to play Doom at low details.

"Deliberate" is kinda stretching it. The two secret sectors you can't enter definitely weren't intentional, and every stair having the property probably wasn't either.

Dragonsbrethren said:

"Deliberate" is kinda stretching it. The two secret sectors you can't enter definitely weren't intentional, and every stair having the property probably wasn't either.

Playtesting the secrets was evidently not a priority in the 4th Episode. In addition to the problems on E4M3, it can also be tricky or impossible to get credit for discovering secrets on E4M1 and E4M7.