Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMSLAYER

ZDoom and GZDoom?

Ok, quick question. I have just learned that a mod Im going to download will only run on GZDOOM. I was using skulltag. So when I download GZDOOM do I also need to download ZDOOM to play it?

I have download so much stuff and so long ago I dont remember whats what anymore. Do I already have one of those? Does skulltag require one of those to run it also?

No, you don't need other source ports to run other source ports. If you have only GZDoom, ZDoom, Skulltag or Zandronum, you don't need any of the others just to run it.

Sodaholic said:

No, you don't need other source ports to run other source ports. If you have only GZDoom, ZDoom, Skulltag or Zandronum, you don't need any of the others just to run it.

Ok good, thanks for the info. Then I will just download GZDoom. Once its downloaded I can just open everything (doom, doom 2, final doom) with that instead of skulltag?

Some mods that are designed with Skulltag in mind will need to be run with that instead of GZDoom. By the way, use Zandronum instead of Skulltag, it's the same thing but more up to date.

Sodaholic said:

Some mods that are designed with Skulltag in mind will need to be run with that instead of GZDoom. By the way, use Zandronum instead of Skulltag, it's the same thing but more up to date.

I dont play live/online at all, isnt that all Zandronum is? A live engine.

Brutal Doom Vol 17 is coming out, but because skulltag is dead the creator isnt releasing it on skulltag anymore. So im trying to get my laptop ready and there is way too much stuff out there to keep up with. lol.

Brutal Doom is distributed in two versions; one for ST (now Zandronum instead), the other for GZDoom.

Speaking of which, the quote in your signature comes from the Doom comic, not Brutal Doom. BD just references the comic.

Gez said:

Brutal Doom is distributed in two versions; one for ST (now Zandronum instead), the other for GZDoom.

Speaking of which, the quote in your signature comes from the Doom comic, not Brutal Doom. BD just references the comic.

yeah, I loved the comic! Just like how its used in brutal doom.

Ok, I have downloaded GZDoom. How do you get it to load a mod everytime you click it? As of right now I have to right click both the mod and the icon for GZDoom to load it all at once. With skulltag I just had to dump the mods into the skins folder.

Gez said:

See this.

Thanks, read it over. Got the Skins folder working but it wont auto load Brutal Doom Mod. I think cause its a pk3 file. Anyway to auto load it without dragging and dropping into the icon for gzdoom?

I count at least three ways:

1. Edit your zdoom-user.ini to add brutaldoom.pk3 to the autoload section.

2. Change brutaldoom.pk3's extension to .wad. (You don't need to do anything to the file itself; only rename it to change the extension.)

3. Create a gzdoom.bat file containing the line gzdoom brutaldoom.pk3 %*; then drag and drop on that .bat file instead.

All these methods and more were explained on the wiki article I linked to...

ok, got it up and running. Somehow the zdoom-user.ini file was hidden and only found it by accident. Either way, got it up and running. Had to keep skulltag to play old files tho, so I have them both now. Best of both worlds.

**New** question. If I download Doomsday Engine for hexen, can I load hexen without messing up GZDOOM or SKULLTAG? I want to add N64 Music to PC hexen. Is it possible to have all three engines without them messing each other up? So far Skulltag runs fine along with GZDOOM.

Of course.

I'd advise installing Doomsday in a different directory from GZDoom, but that's only to keep things tidy.

Gez said:

Of course.

I'd advise installing Doomsday in a different directory from GZDoom, but that's only to keep things tidy.

Groovy! Thanks!

Installing multiple complex applications into one directory is nearly always a bad idea.