Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom sound

What are your preferences for Doom sound effects and music? I've just installed BASSMIDI with an SC-55 soundfont, and I'm absolutely loving the Doom music in this. I'm also using Perkristian's sfx WAD. This, plus truecolor Chocolate Doom is awesome.

At one point I preferred using the 3DO music with the PSX sound effects. What's your preferred sound setup when playing Doom?

EDIT: I just realized that I wrote that I liked using the 32X music. I meant 3DO, I hate the 32X music!

PSX or Doom64 music and a soundpack which mixes PC Doom sounds with Doom64 sounds, and adds unique sounds for all monsters..

I use Q3A's plasmagun firing sound and doom64/psxdoom pistol/chaingun and bfg firing and explosion sounds, at one stage I also used the Strain shotgun firing sound.

For sound effects, I just use the original sounds, and very rarely the beeper sound effects.

As for music, I use OPL most of the time, and sometimes an SC-55 soundfont. I have BASSMIDI and over 40 GM soundfonts.

By the way, what is this SC-55 soundfont of which you speak? Is it the RSC one from MediaFire made by some YouTuber, or that other one by DJ Tony, or that v1.1 one also by DJ Tony?

I usually don't change sound effects unless they're part of the WAD or I use the Particle Fire Enhancer mod with Vanilla WADs. Music-wise, I use BassMIDI with some high quality soundfont. Currently, the soundfont is the 24mb GM Wavetable from SONiVOX, but I also enjoy SGM v2.01 and Shadow v1.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

By the way, what is this SC-55 soundfont of which you speak? Is it the RSC one from MediaFire made by some YouTuber, or that other one by DJ Tony, or that v1.1 one also by DJ Tony?

The ones made by that YouTuber. Why, is the other one better?

Sodaholic said:

The ones made by that YouTuber. Why, is the other one better?

The one by the YouTuber is actually the best one I've heard. The DJ Tony ones are rather inaccurate and seem to sound more like the junky Microsoft Virtual Sound Canvas (not as good as the SC-55). In fact, the DJ Tony font appears to be the gm.dls itself slightly modified.

Per's sound effects for, well, sound effects...

For music, I'm using a wad I came across that's inspired by PSX Doom. I'm a great fan of ambient stuff in Doom. It's way less tiring and often adds more to the atmosphere than the perennial rawk songs.

I would love to see a music wad that mixed the Quake tracks with the Doom 64 tracks. That would be a great music wad for Doom 1 and/or 2. :)

I use MIDI with no sound fonts. Sound fonts just have different dynamics and EQ, and don't suit the music. Sometimes I set it to FM for old time's sake.

Sodaholic said:

What are your preferences for Doom sound effects and music? I've just installed BASSMIDI with an SC-55 soundfont, and I'm absolutely loving the Doom music in this. I'm also using Perkristian's sfx WAD. This, plus truecolor Chocolate Doom is awesome.

At one point I preferred using the 3DO music with the PSX sound effects. What's your preferred sound setup when playing Doom?

EDIT: I just realized that I wrote that I liked using the 32X music. I meant 3DO, I hate the 32X music!

I prefer the PSX Doom sounds and music over PC Doom's any day but that's me.

Bucket said:

I use MIDI with no sound fonts. Sound fonts just have different dynamics and EQ, and don't suit the music. Sometimes I set it to FM for old time's sake.

You're playing your MIDI with a sound font whenever you're not using the FM OPL playback.

Like, the default MIDI synth in Windows? It uses a sound font. It's called GM.dls, it's somewhere in the Windows system directory along with the drivers, and it's a cheap, low-quality copy of the Roland Sound Canvas default samples.

I mostly play without any sound or music at all these days. My internet computer has no sound card and I use it everyday, so it's just easier to play and map on the internet computer instead of turning on my Dooming computer and transferring files, etc. I still play almost every day.

I tend not to autoload any enhancements for general playing (mostly on ZDoom). I have Risen3D set up to use Perkristian's sounds though.

TimeOfDeath said:

I mostly play without any sound or music at all these days. My internet computer has no sound card and I use it everyday, so it's just easier to play and map on the internet computer instead of turning on my Dooming computer and transferring files, etc. I still play almost every day.

Not even PC speaker? That's pretty rough... I can play like that for a short time, but it's no fun getting surprise fireballs or missiles in the back.

If your machine has a parallel port, there's always this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covox_Speech_Thing
(might be a challenge to find driver for your OS though)

Gez said:

Like, the default MIDI synth in Windows? It uses a sound font. It's called GM.dls, it's somewhere in the Windows system directory along with the drivers, and it's a cheap, low-quality copy of the Roland Sound Canvas default samples.

Why haven't people capitalized on this, rather than use shitty unsupported programs like Timidity?

I looked into that SC-55 soundfont Sodaholic mentioned, and wow, this completely blows the other SC-55 .sf2 out of the water. I'm not sure which is more authentic, but I think I'm going to be using this one in place of the other (which was barely a step above the default Roland .dls Windows ships with).