Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Like drinking the fragrance of a burning candle

I'm interested in the back-end effects of said "drinks".

cannonball said:

How about a cocktail contain liquid nitrogen......no thanks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19878511
Poor girl, frankly I'm shocked by the clubs selling this

Why the hell would you use liquid nitrogen? You can get the same mist effect with a much more manageable and safer bit of dry ice. Granted, using dry ice would also warrant telling the patron not to ingest the ice, and would also somewhat carbonate the drink. However, I'd take that over being able to accidentally swallow the thing due to it being indistinguishable from the rest of the drink.

I wonder how long they had been selling the cocktail before this happened? Who thought dishing up liquid nitrogen in a drink was a good idea in the first place? Who thought buying it (and drinking it) was a good idea?

I did see someone trying to justify it by saying "Well Heston Blumenthal uses liquid nitrogen to make ice cream". Duh! The big difference is he uses it as a refrigerant not as something you actually consume.

Glen Parker, worst purchase ever. It's an ultra cheap (only technically) single malt made from the dreck the real distillers feel is hopeless. It tasted like what you'd get if you filtered raw ethanol through flower petals. Probably could have been used as perfume. After a couple pours it met the sink.

Scet said:

Glen Parker, worst purchase ever. It's an ultra cheap (only technically) single malt made from the dreck the real distillers feel is hopeless. It tasted like what you'd get if you filtered raw ethanol through flower petals. Probably could have been used as perfume. After a couple pours it met the sink.

Sounds like Black Velvet, minus the flower petals part. Instead it just tastes approximately like how Pine Sol smells like it'd taste.

Shampoo and lemon papaya orange throat lozenge. If not, a 36 carbonated drink combination.

I'm drinking a wheat beer called Sweaty Betty. Not bad, actually. Strong, but smooth. Microbrews have definitely skyrocketed in quality in the USA over the past few years.

I think the good microbrews have always been there, it's just that access to them (and access for them to be distributed) has gotten better.

Liquid nitrogen cocktails look like a stupid idea. Sympathies for the girl.

Weirdest thing I ever had? Not sure. The most vile I've tried was probably some kind of baijiu I found in Beijing. I was there with a tour group from Hong Kong that included a friend's family. On the last day there was a little green bottle on the lunch table with little liqueur glasses around. Nobody touched the drink, so I took it home. It smelled like paint thinner and tasted awful. It 56% alc./vol. and even my brother who drinks Jack Daniel's like it's pop didn't like the stuff. I never was able to find much about it other than the name of the company that made it (something like Beijing Technology Manufacturing Company No. 17 Concerned with Wine - wtf).

I had a couple bottles of Big Rock Scottish-Style Heavy Ale earlier. Good stuff. Not quite as awesome as Innis & Gunn.

Sources have always told me microbreweries started popping up in the 80s. For most of us that basically is forever I guess. It does seem only in the last ten years or so it has become mainstream to have them everywhere. The only one I knew here that anyone regularly had in 2002 was Big Rock. Now there are so many different things available I can have new beer all the time.

I had one of the happiest, most relaxing afternoons of my life after drinking kava while visiting Vanuatu. Way better than booze.

Other than that, I've drunk the "snake-in-a-bottle" shochu while living here. A few shots of that and you're having a party, that's for sure.

Nasty liquid nitrogen cocktails. Oo

This one time I tried some cognac and thought it tasted like a skunk had died in a whiskey barrel or somethin. Id rather just have a beer... some Rickard's Red, Alexander Keith's, Warsteiner, or some random imported beer I grabbed at the booze store.

A kurd friend of mine tricked me in to drink a shot of sour kurdish goatmilk mixed with tequila, telling me it was a national custom and the only way to prove yourself a real man. Naturaly, it tasted like death, but it turns out they drink the stuff like it was water down there, minus the booze of course. Horrid shit, do not try. Also, stay away from their food too, unless you really dig tounges or testicles.

TheEndOfUs said:

The delicacies of Kurdish cuisine

I'd have no problem with any of the stuff you mentioned, and I'd throw in some more varieties of offal, such as stomach, tripe, patsas, lamb testicles and brain :-D

On the other hand....

Assuming non-alcoholic drinks are also alright for this thread... The cake n' shake milkshake from Coldstones. Its like drinking heaven, for real.

The correct title for this thread should be "like drinking the fragrance of a burning candle while fishing my keys out of a shitty toilet while driving asleep with a dead deer in my car's trunk and making my YT videos private and posting about it on DW".

Maker's is pretty good. Try Centennial if you get a chance. Probably the smoothest whiskey I've tried. If you happen to like maple syrup and whiskey try M Futailles Sortilege.

Great Liquer, and you could put it on pancakes if you really wanted to.

I've drank loads of random stuff over the years. A recent one was "The Jesticle" which is the trademark drink of the worst nightclub in the UK (Jester's, in Southampton). What's in it? Well, every recipe I've seen is different, but seems to boil down to shit-loads of alcohol topped off with a bit of orange juice (or orange-y alchopop) for flavour. It's all £4.50 a pint in the place itself, so you get properly wankered surprisingly fast.

Another fun drink in a similar vein is to go up to the bar (particularly in a student club) and ask for "Something horrible" - preferably one for you and one to shock a friend with. Bailey's curdling on the top of another four spirits in a shot glass? Just one of many options I've been presented with :P

Worst individual spirit has to be something a group of us dubbed "Green Shit" because it was unlabelled, incredibly strong, tasted vile and came in a green bottle. Definite "forfeit in a drinking game" material.

At the complete other end of the scale, if ever you get a chance to try caramel vodka and coke, do so. It's not exactly "getting drunk" drink but it tastes really nice (kind of like drinking a Mars bar, I guess).