Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hammarberg

Hello people, check out my doom cover songs!

Hell-o Doomworld.

I finally registered here, I've made some videos I would like you guys to see. I have been a huge fan of Doom sountracks since I was kid and at some point I got this idea to play drums on them and make them into some videos...

So, here's Doom OST compilation Part1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtnw0aJMLQ&list=UUTNgERpZMqdv7CQ-0jcraiQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Give it a listen, and please leave comment, rating or what ever feedback you might have in mind. :D

That was very entertaining to watch. I did old traditional snare drumming with some civil war reenactment groups in the past, and I gotta tip my hat in respect to being able to keep up with the drumming for that long without falling over in exhaustion!

Can't wait for the next part =]

Haha, hei Exp, you really think it's not enough? I got everything I need, except the citchen sink... I used to have more cymbals, but I try to tone it down a bit to only necessary stuff, it's easier to control.

Coopersville, you a drummer too? :)

Eargosedown, thanks man! It's not easy always, to keep up for long time on fast music, endurance is is nearly as necessary skill as control with extreme music. I play a lot of death metal, thrash and black metal, it's like going to gym actually.

I think I'll make the part two in next few days, I'll post a link here when it's done.

Very nice! Watched some other drum covers too. Definitely needs more drums..say some plastic tubs or kitchnware stuffs.

Jokes aside, very nice cover and audio quality despite some fuzzy video

Hei BloodyAcid, nice to hear you liked it.

Well the picture quality is what it is... The only cam I have at the moment is usual digicam, nothing spectacular, there's ton of things to improve, I'm planning to build a decent studio with better equipment, all I need is some good room for it.

I see this thread has been viewed for 246 times... Yet this little posts. I've also noted that the Doom compilation vids have been the most popular in last two weeks on my channel.

So thanks guys for watching, I guess quite many of those views are from people here. Why so quiet?

Tell me what you think about the part 2, as I mentioned somewhere, will I make more of these depends a lot on the feedback I get, so please hop in this thread or my youtube channel and speak out. :)

These videos are quite demanding to make, drumming is rather easy, recording is easy also, but editing takes a lot of effort and time, which I don't often have..

I repeat, if you want more, let me know. Oh hey, by the way, I haven't chosen the songs for next part, I have some plans, but I'm not sure.. I checked some of the songs I haven't practiced yet, and there's some gems there I would love to make into a video. I'm open for suggestions. ;)

It looks like you are an extremely good drummer. My criticisms are to lose the Doom sound effects (looks like you did for the 2nd video), and that there is too much cymbal going on. For my tastes, a cymbal is more of an accent to be used occasionally, as opposed to a main instrument. Like I said though, just my tastes.

Thanks. I know I overuse the crashes... It's partially intentional, because I wanted to make these songs to have a drumsolo like feel to them. There's some other doom songs which I play in more simplistic way, closer to the originals. And the soundeffects, as I mentioned on a comment inbthe second video, I mixed too loud. It's just add atmosphere and tbh, I'm on the fence about using them in the future.

There's many songs in Doom 2 which actually work very well with quite simple drumtracks.. Like Message from the archvile or Waiting Romero to play.

Btw, I have somen plans for the last part already.. It's going to have Between Levels in it for sure. ;) That's a tough nut to crack.

Hammarberg said:

Coopersville, you a drummer too? :)

Indeed, though I don't practice a lot. Probably because I can't read drum tabs, and would find it pointless to learn that way. I mostly watch videos like yours and play what I see. It used to be hard since I didn't have my PC in the same room as my kit, but now I can just stream the videos through my PS3 in my rec room where I play.

Cool to have fellow drummer around!

I'm quite bad in reading drumtabs too.. Althoug I rarely find any use for them, sometimes I look for good exercises that way, mostly just play what I see and hear. It has worked nicely. And other thing I do a lot is improvisation. It help a ton to have something ready for any situation. :D

Anyway, would you have any good ideas for some songs for the next part? Nearly all doom songs work out ok, except the slow atmospheric stuff..

I might get the new crashes this week, I think I'll wait for them before I make a new video. I'm replacing the crappy Stagg crashes(the two in front if me, the 14" and 16" ones) with Paiste RUDEs, it's gonna sound kick ass for sure.

Cool! I have subscribed.

Want people to love you even more? Do Hell Revealed II drum covers!!

Regards.

1ntru said:

Cool! I have subscribed.

Want people to love you even more? Do Hell Revealed II drum covers!!

Regards.

Thanks! Glad to hear you like it.

Hell revealed II? It has custom songs in it? Where I can find this wad? And does it have the songs in midi(mus) format in it? I could use Game File Explorer to dig them up..

That would be interesting to do after covering the IWAD songs..

I just downloaded the Hell Revealed II wad.

I tried to save the music entries.. It doesn't seem to work, it looks like the GFE cannot 'understand' the format.

Would there be a tech guru here who could extract these songs as midi files or mus lumps for me? I know how to convert the mus files into midi and how to edit them, getting this stuff out from the wad is the problem. Dammit I'm so bad with this stuff..

Listened the part1, and only thing I didn't like was the talking around 7:28-7:40 (I guess there were other parts with the distant talking) because first it sounded like someone forgot TV on :P Other than that, I enjoyed the whole vid.

Btw, friend of mine knows Grave, the guy who composed for Hell Revealed 2 (yes, he is Finnish). His channel http://www.youtube.com/user/thyrbse if someone is interested, though there's no doom music if I recall correctly.

Hey Looper! Thanks for the feedback. The talking is oart of soundeffects I used. I think I will drop that in future parts, it's too confusing.

The guy who made hell revealed music is Finn also? I need to contact him, maybe he can give me good versions of his songs to cover. Well I need to listen those tracks first ofcourse. :)