Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Noobish question concerning key binding

Hello,
Following problem (ZDoom):
I want that the key you have to press to jump is automatically set in my custom wad, for examle that when you press "/" you jump.
By default, the setting is "PAD_Y"... I have actually no idea what this is and I have pressed all keys on my keyboard and nothing caused jumping. Of course I could change this in the "customize controls" section but is there any way to do this binding automatically for you Wad? I guess if it is possible it has to do something with the KEYCONF lump? How could this look like?
Thank you!

Fenriswolf said:

I guess if it is possible it has to do something with the KEYCONF lump?

Correct; you'll want to use defaultbind.

Thank you so far, but sorry, I am a tough customer...
I already looked on ZDoom wiki before posting here but I did not really understand how to use this. So I have my KEYCONF lump in the wad but what exactly has to be in it?
I tried:

defaultbind m=+jump

and several other variations but it won't work :(

KEYCONF are actually series of console commands, so you'll have to use this syntax:

defaultbind m "+jump"
If it doesn't work, three things to check:
1. Is jumping actually allowed in the map you're playing?
2. Is the m key already bound to something else?
3. Is there already another key bound to "+jump"?

I doesn't work :(
Going through your checklist:
- yes it is, at least i can jump in it when binding the key manually in the menue
- no i don't think so
- yes, as i said it is binded to "PAD_Y" but I don't know what this is. Can I somehow delete this setting in the KEYCONF and define a new one?

Sorry for bumping this, but isn't there anything I can do?
To specify the problem:

- How can I delete a control setting with KEYCONF and create a new one
- What is PAD_Y control?

I'm curious as to why you want to specify a keymap anyway?? If I was going to play your wad then I'd want to use my own keymapping config. As for PAD_Y that sounds like it's a joypad button.

Why don't you just remap the keys directly in ZDoom when you start the game?? Surely it's easier as you can clear and remap as you want.

Dave

Phendrena said:

I'm curious as to why you want to specify a keymap anyway?? If I was going to play your wad then I'd want to use my own keymapping config. As for PAD_Y that sounds like it's a joypad button.

Why don't you just remap the keys directly in ZDoom when you start the game?? Surely it's easier as you can clear and remap as you want.

Dave

OPk, so I'll explain why I want to achieve this: I made a little stand-alone-game using ZDoom. Since this runs as ZDoom-Heretic, there is no jumping possible by default. now since i passed this wad file to a few games with a copy of zdoom, many of them came to me with questions like: " know i have to jump in this situation, but it is not possible..." and so on. Of course I could say everyone of them: "you have to select a jump key under Options => Customize Controls" - but I think this is a bit dull, because it is practically a stand-alone-game using ZDoom engine, so I think if you are starting the game you should immidiately be able to control the player figure like it is required and you should not be forced to set new controls before you are playing the game. and as I know the people I gave the wad file I know many of them won't read the readme so there will be lots of confusion concerning this thing. So I think, it would just be the best to preset a key for jumping, If someone wants to change it, he can do so later on but it should be possible without any editing.

I have the same question. I installed GZdoom and zanondrum, the default values include things like ltrigger and pad_y, and i don't have a joystick attached.

How can i trigger this? I was trying to make a Stream Controller config, so i liked to have it using the defaults binding, but i don't get these unknown key binds.

Surprised nobody has replied to this since. I am not at a computer currently so I cannot be specific but if I remember correctly, all default kays are specified in a cfg file that is stored in the same directory as the executable.

To answer your question, PAD_Y is a button that is on a typical USB gamepad.  The reason jump isn't  specified as a default key on the keyboard may be because:

1) Doom didn't have jump

2) Most games use spacebar as jump. Doom uses it as use.