Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer2

Doom TNT map02 "slow" music

I remember some versions ago (roughly 3 years ago, to be exact), TNT's map02 music sounded slow and atmospheric. It was my favourite music of the wad! Now, ZDoom plays it with some crazy drums and I hate it. Is there any way to enable the old version without being forced to dind some really old version of ZDoom?
To give some perspective, this is the new version:

This is the old one:

It was a bug in the MUS data. There are four "volume controller change" commands in the MUS tracks that set the volume to 135. The maximum in MIDI specs is 127.

The behavior you were used to was synth-dependent: on some, the offending tracks were muted; on others it wasn't, and even in some case they weren't muted during the first play, but got muted after a loop.

Now ZDoom clamps the volume value to 127 so the behavior is the same across all synths, and corresponds to what was meant to be heard by the original composer. It also corresponds to what other ports (Choco, Pr+, EE, etc.) will play.

You could always extract the lump (D_STALKS from TNT.wad) and tweak it with some hex editing magic. If I'm not mistaken, the sequence is 4x 03 87. There should be four of them: 400387, 410387, 4F0387, 4F0387, all in the beginning of the file. Change these 87 to 00, save, and autoload that D_STALKS file with the TNT IWAD and you'll get the song as you used to.

The first video sounds horrible and sounds like it was recorded over a phone at 8KHz, causes ear trouble.

But, all the drums are the way it sounds.

Gez said:

The behavior you were used to was synth-dependent: on some, the offending tracks were muted; on others it wasn't, and even in some case they weren't muted during the first play, but got muted after a loop.

It can either:
* Cap it to 127, like what my own port does.
* Mask it to 127 and drop the upper-most bit, like how it is in the second video.
* Mute the sound, i.e. clamp it to zero because the volume could be read in as a signed integer, to which 135 would be less than zero.

Gez, could you please explain to me what program I have to use and try to use as simple and straightforward terms as possible? I don't think I understood what I have to do.

Ah, the lost art of hex editing.

Okay, so first, get SLADE 3. Open TNT.wad in SLADE 3. Filter the entries by D_ so you'll only see the music entries, it'll be faster this way. Right-click on D_STALKS and click on "Export". You now have a D_STALKS.mus file somewhere on your hard drive.

Now, get a hex editor. My personal favorite is HxD, it's free, fast, and featureful. Start it, open your D_STALKS.mus in it, and look for the 4.0387 that are at the beginning of the file:

Here I have highlighted them all for you.

Replace the four 87 values by 07 if you want them to be very quiet, or 00 if you want them to be totally silent.

Do not change any other value than those four 87.

Save the file.

I have no idea though, why anyone would mute DAT BASS. It's awesome. How can I hex-edit the thing to come to my place, tear off my earphones and forcibly penetrate two or more of my eardrums?

I just like synth bass is all...

Ok, I finally tried to do all of this today. I'm out of luck, unfortunantely. Although my Slade had been working just fine some months ago, it doesn't anymore. It gives "Runtime error! Program:<directory>\SLADE.exe R6030 -CRT not initialized". I tried reinstalling it but nothing. I also tried installing VC++ 2010 as I saw a suggestion in another thread, but I couldn't since apparently my system is using a newer version. Could anyone provide some help on how to make Slade work?