Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The PC BFG version is a crap port?

I was reading some first impressions on the Bfg version of Doom 3 on the STEAM forums when I noticed this comment:

ZombeGoast said:

So after playing it for a while, it's a crap port. It lacks graphic settings, it uses xbox 360 buttons, You can't skip cutscenes which you can do in the original Doom 3 and does this have any console commands?

Thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2725881&page=10

This makes me a bit concerned.

Now I did pre-order this for the PS3 anyways so its not like it makes a huge difference, but I was still planning on buying it for the PC also at a later date once the price goes down for the sake of being able to enjoy the improved visuals and extra features on the PC as well.

If the PC version is crap compared with the original Doom 3 however then I don't know...

Can anyone who already has the PC version of the BFG edition comment on it?

EDIT: I found a review for the BFG version, the first one I have seen so far: http://thecontrolleronline.com/2012/10/doom-3-bfg-edition-review/

EDIT: It appears that the mod launcher has been removed, and that the files are decripted so that you can't mod them as easily anymore. Also the console is locked.

Touchdown said:

I've seen shots that show that id have reduced FOV from the proper 90 to retarded 60.

Understandable for consoles, but that's pretty bad for PC.

PRIMEVAL said:

Understandable for consoles, but that's pretty bad for PC.

Surely there is an option to change that.

I can understand many companies/devs not bothering to release a proper PC port for new console focused games, but Id would be extremely retarded to release an "upgraded" version of Doom 3 on the PC that is actually worse then the original.

Then again, considering the reason I started this thread in the first place...

In any case I pre-ordered the PS3 version anyways, but I will still feel a bit shocked if Id somehow fucks up the PC version so badly.

I mean how can you take a game and re-release a WORSE version of it? Even if the main targets of this release are console players it would still be too stupid for me to wrap my head around.

The original PC version HAS a good Fov. What is the purpose of removing it from the PC version? I really hope they were this lazy with this release.

The only thing I care about are the new levels and HMD support which I am excited about. I am sure there is a way to change the FOV but yeah 60 is GOD AWFUL and they should be ashamed about that.

HOLY CRAP, I am getting HUGE fps issues on my HD 6950, can anyone explain this? I have only just gotten into the game but so far I am impressed(aside from the technical issues). The part of the first level I have played is not COMPLETELY linear, it is more intense, the guns certainly feel better and they have increased the run speed.

YOU NEED THE LATEST DRIVERS. Otherwise you will suffer very low FPS.

Touchdown said:

I've seen shots that show that id have reduced FOV from the proper 90 to retarded 60.

The default is 80, which can be changed through the console as per usual. However, this will flag the play session as unable to collect achievements.

Jehar said:

However, this will flag the play session as unable to collect achievements.

People actually care about these so-called achievements?

Nowhere near enough to consider trading that for a proper FOV. 90-100 is pretty comfortable. I was merely stating that as a fact.

Seems like everyone's more or less disappointed with it.

I looked at some gameplay video and the motion blur was like: ehh, is the player character high? Or was it just bad quality video?

Maybe I'll skip this and just play the original.

I was pretty pleased with it. 30 bucks isn't that much imo and you can even buy it for 20 on Steam if you allready own Doom 3. It's a legal way to get NRFTL on PC and you get the new Lost Mission. You can disable motion blur if you like.

Just beat the new campaign on Veteran. I didn't notice the difference between 80 and 90 FOV.

It's definitely got some challenging moments, and a lot of enemies will attack at once.

I felt the new campaign was a vast improvement over the flawed expansion campaign, which I wrote about years ago.

Can't say I noticed any major "Console port" issues. The motion blur was off by default, I didn't even have to disable it.

My only disappointment is that I own the original Doom 3 and expansion, but was unable to add the CD key to Steam in order to get the discounted price. Oh well.

Udderdude:
I'm not totally through the new levels yet, but to call them linear would be an understatement so far. To it's benefit, there are plenty of interesting monster spawn locations in this linear space to create some interesting combat, though I find that this causes an over-reliance on teleporting in monsters.

This wouldn't be a problem if imps, maggots, and wraiths didn't take a good few seconds to go through their *rawr* animation before attacking. I stand by the opinion that if you drastically reduced this animation, and generally increased the reaction time of the baddies, Doom 3 would be exponentially improved.

Yup, Doom 3 needs a -fast flag.

Badboy said:

between now and November 13th you can save $10 on your purchase."

Sounds stupid to me seeing as Christmas is like only 2 months away.

The STEAM christmas sale is like the bigges STEAM sale of the year. I would be fairly shocked if there weren't some huge discounts on Id games like usual including on the BFG edition.

Bought PC version yesterday.

I haven't had any frame rate issues so far, though motion blur can sometimes make it appear that the game is lagging when it actually isn't.

From what I can see, the only thing among graphics options that was taken out was the "Show Decals" option(could be wrong, I'll have to do a side by side comparison of the two versions), and the quality settings. They've added several new graphics options though, as well as a considerable number of screen resolution options.

But really, why does anybody care about not having graphic quality settings on the HD version of an old game? Visually, everything in there is either the best version of what it was in 2004, or it's been improved, so you're not getting gipped out of any higher texture resolutions. Was anyone seriously planning on using lower quality settings on the HD version of an 8 year-old game?

Caffeine Freak said:

But really, why does anybody care about not having graphic quality settings on the HD version of an old game? Visually, everything in there is either the best version of what it was in 2004, or it's been improved, so you're not getting gipped out of any higher texture resolutions. Was anyone seriously planning on using lower quality settings on the HD version of an 8 year-old game?

I guess people with computers which are old even by 2004 standards might want to be able to tweak things. They're out there.

Interestingly the original Doom games provided are from the XBLA version. Censored nazi levels, pills on health packs, and 33 levels in the Doom 2 iwad.

EANB said:

Interestingly the original Doom games provided are from the XBLA version. Censored nazi levels, pills on health packs, and 33 levels in the Doom 2 iwad.

Censored Nazi levels!? Whaaat?! Whatta buncha bullllshit. If it was okay for Wolfenstein in 1993, it should be fine now. What the fuck...

Altered health packs I can understand, that actually has to do with the Red Cross owning a patent on the red cross symbol. I remember Carmack saying he had to do the same thing with the health packs when he ported Wolfenstein 3D to the iPhone a few years back.

DoomUK said:

set g_fov xx

According to the STEAM forums the console is locked.

EDIT: It appears that the mod launcher has been removed as well, and that the game files are decripted so that you can't mod them as easily anymore.

So is this a steam only game, like if I buy a physical copy of it, will it install into steam or can I play it without?

@jimi it needs steam. like rage. or you buy the console version.

@hardcore 90% of the steam forums is whine, hate, no clue of nothing. sometimes its funny.

can you give the url pls. no mod launcher means an update was delivered, right.

add to start launcher +com_allowconsole 1. and cvars over console. in the default.cfg or a new autoexec.cfg.

fun things
g_useslowmo 1
pm_jumpheight 100

old doom 3 tweaks
http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20080429174331/http://ucguides.savagehelp.com

Hmm. According to this, the high quality textures and ultra quality textures are actually the same resolution, it's just that the high quality ones use some sort of compression. The BFG edition uses a new and better compression technique, so we're not actually missing anything, texture resolution-wise.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417244-no-options-to-adjust-video-settings/page__view__findpost__p__21662334

Exactly.

I honestly don't know what ANYONE is talking about when they say it looks worse than the original. The motion blur and stronger lighting has a way of diluting the effect at times, yes, but it's still a noticeable improvement. I always play D3 in Ultra Quality with all settings maxed, and I noticed the visual improvement in BFG immediately after starting the game.

Most screenshots that i've seen show that they did a very lazy job with characters and lot's of important props. Skins are so low-res they are painful to look at, just look at PC's armor. Again, those seams on heads that stayed exactly like in 2004, ugh. It doesn't look worse than original, but it also not worth buying if you have the original. What's the point?

What I've seen and read so far...

Modders have confirmed BFG has slightly worse textures
Less shadows and flashlight doesn't cast a shadow
The "new" lighting isn't new
New sounds are bad
New hud is bad and has two ammo counters?
Some characters look worse
Less graphics & gameplay options
60 FOV lock?
Can't mod because id Tech 5
OG Dooms are censored and XBLA versions
No Final DOOM

Think I'll stick with my original version.

Fuzzyfireball said:

What I've seen and read so far...

New sounds are bad
60 FOV lock?
Can't mod because id Tech 5
OG Dooms are censored and XBLA versions
No Final DOOM

Think I'll stick with my original version.

I heard it's 80, not 60.

As for sounds, I have heard of others saying the quality of all the sounds is reduced.

Inability to mod? That sucks.

The censoring of the original DOOM games also sucks.

But I'm getting the BFG Edition anyway.