Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hekksy

Are the iwads in Doom 3: BFG Edition Modified?

Gez said:

Since you're here, any chance of updating ladopato with these BFG IWADs?

(Also, the fixed Final Doom IWADs, too; but it's a separate issue.)

((And Heretic/Hexen.))

Ehhhh, Ladopato is ancient VB6 Code, that does not run properly under Windows 7/64. And to be honest, it's years ago that I've startet my Windows-Box. So there is little chance, that ladopato will be updated soon, sorry. Is anybody interested in the crappy vb6 source??

BTW: Maybe Peter Vaskovics can do something. He wrote the superior
Java Wad Patcher...

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~phenex/JIWadPatcher/

You should get the BFG edition just for No rest for the Living, it is very good. And the last 2 levels in the Lost Mission are a huge improvement over the boring stock Hell level.

EDIT: Do you have any idea who designed NRFTL? He might even be someone from here!

DooM_RO said:

You should get the BFG edition just for No rest for the Living, it is very good.

Just for that? It doesn't warrant that price tag. No nine maps ever would. Ripped versions of NRFTL has also been floating around the internet for a while now (since 2010), so I'm going to take a guess that anyone who really wanted it since original release most likely has it by now anyway.

EDIT: Do you have any idea who designed NRFTL? He might even be someone from here!

The Doom Wiki is a wonderful thing.

No Rest for the Living is included in the PS3 port. Had a blast playing split screen coop last night. We started playing at 8:00pm going through Thy Flesh Consumed on UV. Then we played through NRFTL on UV. By the time we were done it was past midnight. It was worth it for some old school Doom fun with my friend that doesn't really PC game anymore.

Last level of NRFTL was a bit silly, and the ending text read like autistic fan fiction. It's a fun exercise to read it out loud in a mocking voice and try to keep yourself from laughing while your friend is hysterical.

The friendly fire option for coop is currently glitched. Fist, chainsaw, bullets, and shells do no damage. But you can accidentally kill your buddy with rockets, plasma, & BFG. Be it glitch, or elaborate trolling but another gameplay dynamic.

So what if you wanted to use the IWADs from the BFG Edition to play on ZDaemon or something, since they're very different than the original, non-modified IWADs? Could you use a patch to restore it to the original IWADs?

peach freak said:

So what if you wanted to use the IWADs from the BFG Edition to play on ZDaemon or something, since they're very different than the original, non-modified IWADs? Could you use a patch to restore it to the original IWADs?

I can't speak for ZDaemon, but for Zandronum you won't be able to play co-op since MAP02, MAP31, and MAP32 are pointlessly modified. You'll also want to replace your SS Nazi sprites since they apparently felt it was less work to replace the things in the map instead of just replacing the sprites. You could autoload a mod that does that, but I would recommend that a BFG Edition to 1.9 patch be made. For ultimate doom you should be fine though.

DooM_RO said:

You should get the BFG edition just for No rest for the Living, it is very good. (...)

..only when I can buy it in my local store on a nice shiny CD-ROM.
I do note like this steamy-thingie too much... :-)

All censorship crybaberry aside, what is the next step to be taken from here? Now that it's been confirmed that latest marketed version of doom uses modified IWADs, what does this mean for the bfg edition owners? Are they gonna be denied the ability to play online? Or just be booted from all MAP02, MAP31 and MAP32 deathmatches? Should somebody be contacting idsoftware to release it with both versions of the game so as not to shove decades of active voluntary source port work into obsolescense? Is idsoftware responsible for making a patch? And if not, are we allowed to?

I think it's a general thing when it comes to the Swastika, most games avoid it now I think. Silly since it's just some religious peace symbol that Hitler stole.

Avoozl said:

I've got the feeling Bethesda might be responsible for the censoring patches.

Those were the choices:

• Do not sell the BFG edition in Germany at all.
  • Create and maintain both a censored German edition and an uncensored international edition.
  • Only create a censored edition that can be sold everywhere.
Business sense told them #1 was dumb and #2 was redundant.

Would it be worth it to release an uncensored version, for reasons of "artistic integrity" or whatever? Sure. But hey, you're in luck, it already exists and it has been released 18 years ago already! You can even buy it from the same place.

Hey, you could just plug the Doom2.iwad (modified to add the new menu lumps as appropriate, but with maps, songs, and sprites unchanged) and it'll work just like it used to.

40oz said:

All censorship crybaberry aside, what is the next step to be taken from here? Now that it's been confirmed that latest marketed version of doom uses modified IWADs, what does this mean for the bfg edition owners? Are they gonna be denied the ability to play online?

Ports can detect wheter a player is using a BFG Iwad or original Iwad and only allow them to see games using the same Iwad.

It's no different to how the typical port. supports 'Doom1', 'Doom2', 'Final Doom' etc. Just add a new 'Doom2-BFG' to that.

I bought the BFG Edition this morning for PlayStation3. Classic Doom seems to run on a port of some kind as there are some changes, for the worse.

-there is a new menu system that replaces the original. It is slow, unresponsive and in my opinion looks worse too.
-sounds are played at a variety of random pitches which is fairly annoying.
-a new intro sequence featuring the Bethesda logo.
-the midi music is different. Not 100% sure how midis work, but I believe they can use different soundsfonts? This is probably the case here. The music sounds more 'arcady' and is quite annoying actually. Definitely not as good as how it sounds on PC with whatever the default soundfont is.

Captain Toenail said:

-the midi music is different. Not 100% sure how midis work, but I believe they can use different soundsfonts?

The XBLA version (on which this one is based, since it has NRFTL) uses external midi files, instead of the embedded MUS lumps; and a set of GUS patches for its MIDI synth. This is probably the case here.

If the music seems to play at a slightly slower tempo than on the PC, then it is probably the same system as on the Xbox 360.

See this old thread for more info.

Didn't notice a difference in tempo, but the actual midis sound like they are using different instruments. That's why I suggested perhaps it uses a different soundfont than the PC default?

Captain Toenail said:

Didn't notice a difference in tempo, but the actual midis sound like they are using different instruments. That's why I suggested perhaps it uses a different soundfont than the PC default?

The soundfont that comes with DirectX (a cheap version of Roland's Sound Canvas default samples) is unlikely to be found on Sony's console, yes.

as long as the unmodified original versions are still sold on Steam, I don't expect multiplayer to be a problem, assuming people do want to go through the steps to get any of the multiplayer-comaptible ports running.

Despite my earlier comment (which focused on that one portrait), I think it would have been interesting if they did what they did in the GBA version of Doom II where they added alternate symbols (in this case, the RTCW logo) to the Wolfenstein levels. It would help make the joke part of the secret levels work a bit better, I think, and it would make the secrets stand out more in Grosse (then again though, those secrets really work best if you know how wolf secrets worked)

I read that the original data for the uncensored levels are in the DOOM2 WAD that comes with the BFG Edition, I have no confirmation on that though, I don't own it.

Tuskin38 said:

I read that the original data for the uncensored levels are in the DOOM2 WAD that comes with the BFG Edition, I have no confirmation on that though, I don't own it.

Well, it's wrong.

The levels themselves have not been changed other than mass-replacing SS with zombies. So one could argue that the LINEDEFS lumps (which holds the textures) is "original data for the uncensored levels"; but it's a bit partial...

Censorship on the textures was done by changing their source files (that is to say, the texture patches). This data is global to the entire game, and not local to the level.

rtcw and wolfenstein (2009) was problematic in germany too. i think they cut the swastikas but sometimes forgot one. and they changed texts, enemys werent nazis, instead a cult called "the wulfs". wolfenstein rpg on ios isnt released for the german itunes, because they fear a ban.

we had a cut quake 4 version that is incompatible to the international multiplayer (rofl). they changed the pk files. for example they cut the stroggification scene, a player dont get what happened :D german version only found german online servers, the 4 servers died quickly. i still believe there was a solution to it, but activision did fucking nothing. but at least you can use the cdkey with an international installed version. my quake forum was overruned from normal people that were angry.

RoE was at first not sold here, and later banned (but it was never sold in germany lol). because of violence.

all the stories are really really crazy...it makes me a bit angry that i know this stuff. its just ridiculus.

activision handeld the id games poorly here. so bethesda dont wanna do risks. as i said, to one point germany was the 3rd biggest game market. i thought different game versions are normal (usa/uk/germany/asia etc), but nowadays they tend to less versions it seems. i import all. sometimes i forget what is banned and whats not, because its not important for me.

i have the bfg edition on ps3, they seriously need to patch it so that you can change your controler sensitivity in doom 1 and doom 2, and also to be able to see your frag score and who is in the game with you on mulitplayer doom 1 and doom 2. if they went through the trouble to port these games to the id tech 5 engine, and give it some 21st century updates, why not base it on something like zdademon or zdoom? Or at least model the functionality of it after the mentioned.

I don't like the censoreship, if we scream loud enough maybe an optional patch can be issued?

Like someone said there is team damage issue, things do need to be addressed.

If you have an Amazon account, write a review for the game with low ratings if you feel you are that dissatisfied. I know I will never buy such a broken product but have seen what was done to the game, hence angering me.

Mr. Chris said:

such a broken product

It's seriously not that broken, it's quite solid, actually. Seriously.

Sodaholic said:

It's seriously not that broken, it's quite solid, actually. Seriously.

the doom 1 and 2 is broken. what you get in the bfg edition is not what was released 20 years ago.

Broken? No. It still functions without suddenly blowing up in your face.

A lazy, rushed, shitty excuse for getting an 'international' release of Doom II out? Yes.

Come on, if someone in the DW community can be bothered to chuck together some new sprites based on existing ones (or even make fucktonnes from scratch), surely it's not beyond the power of professional developers to quickly cobble something half-decent together, especially with so many tools available?

For Christ's sake, why couldn't they just do some colour swapping on the Zombieman or something and have them replace the default SSWV set, without replacing the map things themselves completely? They fucked about with untold tweaks for the rehash of Doom 3, but oh no, actually doing something to try and keep a classic as intact as possible is just too much to ask. Instead we get something akin to someone's first experience with editing IWAD maps.

And all for the sake of ONE fucking sprite set!

tourettes said:
the doom 1 and 2 is broken. what you get in the bfg edition is not what was released 20 years ago.

What, you were expecting Wolfenstein 3D instead? (hurrrr)

Who seriously cares about the first two Dooms in the BFG edition beyond the excuse to whine about the changes, when most (likely all) people here already have the superior originals. The main focus of development was on Doom 3, that's what we should be focusing on when providing "critical analysis" (bitching and whining) of Doom 3 BFG Edition.

Sodaholic said:

Who seriously cares about the first two Dooms in the BFG edition beyond the excuse to whine about the changes, when most (likely all) people here already have the superior originals.

Because shitty changes are shitty, and we have a right to complain about them.

BaronOfStuff said:

For Christ's sake, why couldn't they just do some colour swapping on the Zombieman or something and have them replace the default SSWV set, without replacing the map things themselves completely?

They could even leave the "SS Nazi" graphics in there and change only their sound effects. After all, their uniforms look nothing like any actual SS or Wehrmacht uniforms. They always reminded me of RAF airmen or even the Philadelphia SWAT guys from Dawn Of The Dead: