Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mmnpsrsoskl

Animated Textures/Floors

Can you add these into a pwad? Because I read somewhere that you can't because they are hard-coded into the doom.exe, but I just want to see if they were wrong...

Yes, animated flats are hard-coded into doom.exe. However, there are some animated flats are defined in doom.exe, but have no images in the .wad (so you can use them). Unfortunately I can't remember their names right now, but I guess somebody else can help out there.

The animated textures are WFALL1 to WFALL4, and the flats are SWATER1 to SWATER4.

Originally posted by mmnpsrsoskl
Can you add these into a pwad?

I'm surprised Tarin didn't point out, that this is possible to do with certain ports, most notably ZDoom. You can edit an animdefs lump and insert it into the PWAD, and the port can load the texture animation info from that file.

I've never used one so I can't tell you how it works, but it works. The catch is that the map will be limited to only the ports that support the animdefs feature.

It is also possible with pure BOOM (and probably any port based on it?), by inserting a new ANIMATED entry into the WAD.

To create the ANIMATED entry, you have to grab the BOOM utils zip, which contains a program to convert text definition files into the binary format.

Yup any boom derivative should allow you to create an ANIMATED lump and add your own animated textures, flats and switches. You’ll need to grab the boom editing utils (as Fredrik said) and look for a file called SWANTBLS.EXE which you need to compile your ANIMATED lump from a text file (example included with the util).

Because Zdoom supports BOOM stuff, it will support the ANIMATED lump, but it also supports its own ANIMDEFS lump. This is an uncompiled text lump that can be used, again, to define animated textures, flats and switches. It is more flexible, however, allowing different durations for different animation frames, even randomisation of duration, whether to allow decals on animated walls, switches that cycle through a number of textures (to give a smoother animation than simply on/off) and it also allows you to define “swirly” quake style animated water too. Of course, this would limit you to Zdoom, and some of the features mentioned are only available in the latest beta versions.

Other ports have other options too, but I’m less familiar with them.

You can grab the boom editing utils from the DW utils page.

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php

Hmmm....I had no idea you could use the BOOM editing utils. to do this...I already have them...I would rather use these than ZDoom's feature because ZDoom don't run on my retarded PC...Thanks all!