Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Agentbromsnor said:

Thanks! I got about one room done now, heh.

By the way, hallways leading to other rooms count as rooms too, right?

That depends on how your hall's designed. If you need to enter the hall through a door and leave it through another door, it counts as a room in and of itself. If it only has one or no door, then you can count it as part of one of the two rooms it connects. If you're still in doubt, just give me a screenshot and I'll be able to tell for sure.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'll do an E1 map.

Okay, I've added you to the list. =)

I'll make a map for E1 as well.

Phobus said:

I'll aim for E2, as I'm quite a fan of the blue night sky.

Added to the list! =)

Agentbromsnor said:

I tried again, but somehow I still see a lot of missing textures when I try to run it with prBoom.

Well, no worries, it works for me, so I can assure you that the textures work in Boom. In general, it shouldn't be hard to make your map Boom compatible even if you don't test it with Boom. Just avoid using ZDoom-only actions and things.

Scypek2 said:

I think I have a good idea for a map31.

You can have it, if you want.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Do monster closets still count as separate rooms if they blend seamlessly into another room once they're opened?

Nope, you can count monster closets as part of the room they open into.

Keeper of Jericho said:

Added to the list! =)

Well, no worries, it works for me, so I can assure you that the textures work in Boom. In general, it shouldn't be hard to make your map Boom compatible even if you don't test it with Boom. Just avoid using ZDoom-only actions and things.

You can have it, if you want.

Yeah the map itself runs good in Boom, its the textures that don't load seemingly well. It runs perfectly fine in GZDoom though. Oh well.

Here's a screenie from my first room, including a door to the next room:
http://imageshack.us/a/img62/6586/5rooms.jpg

You can judge if that counts as one room or not. :P

Sing me in. I choose first episode.

Few questions:
Can we use outdoor areas?

Will you allow more than one map per mapper?
- I will gladly make more than one map in case there wont be enough of contributors

Agentbromsnor said:

Yeah the map itself runs good in Boom, its the textures that don't load seemingly well. It runs perfectly fine in GZDoom though. Oh well.

Here's a screenie from my first room, including a door to the next room:
http://imageshack.us/a/img62/6586/5rooms.jpg

You can judge if that counts as one room or not. :P

Judging from what I can see from the screenshot, that looks like two rooms to me, mainly because the red/brown area seems like a major shift in texturing style compared to the other part of the screenshot.

Sokoro said:

Sing me in. I choose first episode.

Few questions:
Can we use outdoor areas?

Will you allow more than one map per mapper?
- I will gladly make more than one map in case there wont be enough of contributors

You can use outdoor areas, sure thing. As long as everything falls within the five room limit, outdoor, indoor, everything goes.

You can make as many maps as you want, untill every map slot is filled.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Mid textures are obscuring visibility a bit too much.

you can always use, for example, step or horisontal doorstop as a fence.

It just hit me today that I forgot to mention an important rule. So, to all mappers: please don't forget to make your maps playable from pistol start! I know that to most people this goes without saying, but I still wanted to mention it, just in case.

With that said, here are some screenshots from my map, currently untitled:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/5Rooms/map1screen1.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/5Rooms/map1screen2.png

All of this is one room, as you can see in DB:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/5Rooms/map1screen3.png

I think the texture zip you uploaded might've gotten corrupted, either by your edits or by the upload site (which is popup hell, by the way): it's got all sorts of funky characters in some of the texture names and causes some missing texture errors in PrBoom (e.g. for DOOR3). The original cc4 texture pack has neither of these issues.

I've got an MD5 checksum of f8e05e83ea4b1940aced7b01a2c710d0 for the zip I downloaded, if that's useful in tracking down the problem.

Gebstadter said:

I think the texture zip you uploaded might've gotten corrupted, either by your edits or by the upload site (which is popup hell, by the way): it's got all sorts of funky characters in some of the texture names and causes some missing texture errors in PrBoom (e.g. for DOOR3). The original cc4 texture pack has neither of these issues.

I've got an MD5 checksum of f8e05e83ea4b1940aced7b01a2c710d0 for the zip I downloaded, if that's useful in tracking down the problem.

I've got alot of missing textures in PrBoom as well, but it shows up fine when I use GZDoom.

I've started working on map 13 I gonna call it "The Mutiny", I've finished one room so far and a small room behind the red key's door.
The goodies on the 4 slime falls are going to be the 4 secrets of the map, I'll probably make 2 more big rooms (blue key room and yellow key room) and a small room for the exit, 5 rooms in total.

Screenies from the first room:

Agentbromsnor said:

The two maps I've seen in this thread so far look very symmetrical. :/

My map so far doesn't look very symmetrical, lol.

I only made one room yet, plenty of room for assymetry yet, heh. Though I like symmetry. In any case, don't worry about it, make your map as non-symmetrical as you want. =P

Olympus said:

I'll make an episode 1 map :)

Alright! Added to the list.

ForeverViLe said:

I've started working on map 13 I gonna call it "The Mutiny", I've finished one room so far and a small room behind the red key's door.
The goodies on the 4 slime falls are going to be the 4 secrets of the map, I'll probably make 2 more big rooms (blue key room and yellow key room) and a small room for the exit, 5 rooms in total.

Screenies from the first room:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o751/ForeverViLe/Screenshot_Doom_20121022_202718_zps001efebd.png

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o751/ForeverViLe/Screenshot_Doom_20121022_202747_zpsf3a859c0.png

"The Mutiny" looks great! Really dig the texturing.

Gebstadter said:

Does anyone else have this problem? In any case, since the texture pack just includes a new sky texture, you can safely use the CC4 texture pack.

i'll take mapslot 21, winter will be thy name (nirvana still fit maybe)

a little wip screenshot :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/screenshotdoom201210230.png/

edit: while using zdoom will not cause any error to occur, prboom 2.5.0 don't want to work... if i launch it from DB2 return this error message : "W_InitCache: OpenFile for memorymapping failed (lesterror 13)". what that mean?

RE-edit: boom format support sky variations?