Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

I strongly encourage you to play MAP25 with a software renderer of some kind. Many of the visual effects will not work in OpenGL, rendering the map crippled and difficult to play. Regardless, have fun with the rest of the wad and thank you for giving us a playthrough!

Edit: I'm stupid, I just checked and everything works fine in OpenGL (GZDoom 1.9 pre-release version.) Pay no attention to me!

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5541861 = part 3 of my playthrough (pistol start), covering maps 24-30.

Five Rooms of Doom gets 2 out of 5 from me in conclusion. Overall there is some quality to be had here, but the feel of meh/awkward maps far outweighs the positive stuff here to some degree in this megawad. Sorry Keeper of Jericho.

Map 29 is complete bullshit in my opinion. It's either incomplete or horribly flawed. I'd love to see a video of anyone beating the beta3 version of it, so I can figure out how the heck anyone is meant to tackle that god awful map w/o cheating. Replaces Du Mhan Yhu's "3 Ways From Hell" as the worst map I've ever played in Doom, sorry Joseph Lord. (your map 26 was good though, liked the stealth trickery. You seem a good mapper.)

BlueFeena's map 25 was pretty interesting, and I especially liked the shotgun/Archvile invisible maze. My second favourite map of the megawad behind Scypek2's 'Space Quarry'.

Map 30 was kind of weird just ending that easily, but I'm happy to have an easy IoS fight after dealing with some awkwardness in this final part. I did have Fuzzball thankfully offer to fix the textures not working in the version Cacowad linked in the thread, but it's apparently an easy fix.

Corsair's 'puzzle' on map 28 is stupid, even with the solution somewhat provided via a secret switch. If that puzzle was tweaked, his map would be decent. Even Corsair himself admitted his map was awkward in the stream.

And that's all from me! Hope the final version is better, and I hope my playthrough has provided some good feedback.

I just connected as you finished the stream, so now i am watching the replay, and about the map... yeah... i should have mentioned that the textures were not included (since it is supposed to eventually go inside the complete wad, so re-adding the textures would be a bit silly), thank you for finishing the whole thing.

It is a bit on the easy side, because on how it was made in the first place (a big circular room, yeee...) so it was or impossible using the spawners or too easy without, i went on the too easy for obvious reasons. Also it was just a pain to revisit as a whole.

Probably last edit, i have to put some monster blocking lines in the first room.

And yes, 2/5 is appropriate for the whole mapset imho...

If so, I don't have a clue how the Chaingunners and Sergeants warp into the first room of MAP17 right upon opening the door. Did it occur to anyone else on any port? For me, it didn't.

It looks like the last map update was 11-18. What's left to do Jericho? When can we expect a final release? Are you wanting to tweak the game play balance of any of these levels or anything like that?

Cacowad said:

And yes, 2/5 is appropriate for the whole mapset imho...

I'd 3/5 most things (including 5 Rooms) who contained:
- several shiny map gems (without mentioning specifics again)
- a strictly controlled rising challenge incline throughout, from sleepy meandering openers to the final-episode-only hairsbreadth slaughterfests. There were some rocky-road'ness on this curve, but a spike here and there didn't ruin it for me.
- A pretty tight theme. Some map staggering could have improved this (also mentioned earlier), but I probably wouldn't have given it an extra star for it.
- Unique traps and tricks. Heck, I saw some stuff I'd been wanting to do for years, and can go back and check the mapset for details later - when I need the tricks to boost my own wadfolio.

I like to judge by strengths rather than the downsides. Heck, I got 2/5 on some of my Master Levels when they first came out. Don't let it get you down.

Egregor said:

It looks like the last map update was 11-18. What's left to do Jericho? When can we expect a final release? Are you wanting to tweak the game play balance of any of these levels or anything like that?

Mostly waiting for that final map 30 revamp to be turned in. Once I have that, I'll be putting up a call for all final map versions to be turned in, compile them and release the final version.

As for that map 07 bug, I've never made a map 07 myself using those special map 07 functions, so if anyone knows how to fix it, that'd be much appreciated.

What do you mean? map 30 was done for quite some time now.
That is, unless you want me to ramp up the difficulty a bit, even if i think that an easy map 30 isn't that bad at all considering how hard are the maps before it.

Cacowad said:

What do you mean? map 30 was done for quite some time now.
That is, unless you want me to ramp up the difficulty a bit, even if i think that an easy map 30 isn't that bad at all considering how hard are the maps before it.

I can only speak for Beta 1, but last time I played Map 30, it was over very suddenly, following up on an increasing difficulty in the previous sequence of maps, where each map was taking longer and longer to complete. Did you ever get around to trying out a sequence of switches to open up the view to the final boss? Say, one per star-point in the (very iconic) map view, perhaps?

Cacowad said:

Ok, so seems that nobody have noticed that i have already made all the changes deemed necessary... So you can go in the previous page and see for yourself OR you can download the new versions here:

map 22:
https://www.mediafire.com/?vp0u3l2yuke2slo

map 30:
https://www.mediafire.com/?9tefzud9fcwigtz

Load 'em up with the textures pack and give them a try.

Sorry cacowad, for some reason I was under the impression the map 30 revamp was still in progress. *facepalm* My bad entirely. They've been added to the wad now.

So, if anyone can help me fix the map 07 bug, then the final version could be out as early as today.

In my version of zdoom (2.6.1) tag 667 is broken even in doom2 map 07 (in wich it seems to act like a floor_rise_to_nearest_floor instead of the usual behavior), while tag 666 seems to work as intended, but not in our map07 (in wich simply does not work). I'm looking into it, but i really don't know why it is appening. :|

EDIT: nevermind about d2 map07 thing, seems like i killed the last 2 aracnotrons together making the 667 special trigger twice.

When searching the editing forums there seems to have been rare cases in which tag 666 no longer works within boom format. I'm really not sure if this is true or not still. Maybe we could hack out map 07's boom tags and convert it to vanilla doom 2 to find out if that resolves tag 666's function, though that is a lot of work for potentially still not resolving the issue. Also, I've only tested it with zdoom so far.

map 07 seems to work perfectly fine for me in prboom -clevel 9, so i suppose it is a zdoom related problem?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

-------
MAP07
-------
Can't be finished in ZDoom. Tag 666 and tag 667 don't work because 'map07special' line not in MAPINFO under MAP07. ZDoom will use some default entries if an incomplete MAPINFO is used. Not this entry.

Did anybody ever fix this note?

Well now is fixed: https://www.mediafire.com/?oyppddqibkcaxb2

I did not even thinked about looking at the mapinfo... :| thank you EffinghamHuffnagel, now it work as intended.

The link above is the updated mapinfo just for the sake of it, but i think Keeper of Jericho can add the line himself without bothering downloading that.

Cell said:

If so, I don't have a clue how the Chaingunners and Sergeants warp into the first room of MAP17 right upon opening the door. Did it occur to anyone else on any port? For me, it didn't.

I asked something.

And we have no answer for you unfortunatly. I'll be looking on it next, can you provide me the sectors that are involved in the teleport trap?

Cacowad said:

And we have no answer for you unfortunatly. I'll be looking on it next, can you provide me the sectors that are involved in the teleport trap?

Sure. Sector 56 is the door to open, sector 813 is the ambush area and sector 817 is/are the pillars which lower(s) upon pressing the switch providing access to the red skull.

Thank you this help a lot; i must say i don't get the usefullness of the wr_teleport_to_line_with_same_tag() into the monsters teleporter rooms, since they can't trigger ever (there are some other nitpick but i won't cover them here).
My guess is that there is a joined sector into the second (or first even, i couldn't track it) room that wake up the monsters, then the hight speed of the floor added with the usual movement speed of the mobs make them glitch into the colums that should keep them out of the teleporter lines, making them effectively spawn inside the first room whenever they glitch.

This can be fixed for good by swapping the colums with the teleport line or by closing in the lines with the colums or by lowering the speed of the floor.

I hope this make any sense, my english isn't the best around.

Glad I watched Suitepee's stream instead of just assuming what he ran into. Guess I overcompensated when somebody said there were too many rockets - now there aren't nearly enough. ._.

Anyway, worked on changes as I got further into the stream. Some notable ones:

• Added a chainsaw before the Pinky ambush after you clear the green corner. (I hadn't already put one in? Not even in a secret area? Weird. It's there now, anyway.)
  • Said Pinky ambush doesn't pop up instantaneous anymore. (I mean, it's still a Turbo Floor special, it's just a little less jarring.)
  • Added marginally more rocket ammo around the center (from 8 to 14 per corner) and yellow corner (from 2 to 3 per corner). Added even more rockets for the second trip through the center with all the Revenants (that corner went from 8 to 20).
  • Speaking of the Revenants the second trip through, cut down the total amount on Hard by three. (Yes, you were supposed to kill all of them, but I didn't give you enough rocket ammo to do so. Hopefully this change and the above in tandem will make that a bit less chaotic.)
  • Toned down the number of monsters for the third trip through (well, marginally; I made two of the Chaingunners on each side Shotgunners instead for added infighting/weaker monsters, and nixed the total number of Mancubi from 2 per side to 1 per side).
  • Nixed the dumb pit you'd fall into if you failed to make the jump the blue-key-lowering switch. Really didn't serve any purpose, looking back on it; just falling to ground level would be punishment enough.
  • Against my better judgment, added a non-secret SSG where the Archvile ambushes you in the yellow corner. (I guess people'll need it for the third fight in the center immediately thereafter?)
  • Speaking of the secret SSG in the first room, made the panel you're supposed to shoot partially use a target-esque switch texture.
Left the last area entirely untouched, but hopefully that makes the map overall less of a slog for ya.

Updated MAP20 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y92aepsve65kppg/5rooms_regionx_r4.wad?dl=0

MAP26 has a pretty glaring error in GLBoom+; walk right out the corridor you start in and quickly witness how half the floor is missing. GL nodes must be borked or something.

Also might want to have somebody record some rudimentary demos or something, just to add that last bit of polish.

Shadow Hog said:

MAP26 has a pretty glaring error in GLBoom+; walk right out the corridor you start in and quickly witness how half the floor is missing. GL nodes must be borked or something.

Also might want to have somebody record some rudimentary demos or something, just to add that last bit of polish.

This calls for Godfather III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

I'm currently planning on cleaning up the auto-map in my entry, although the map itself will be identical. I also think I need co-op starts; should have it up by tonight.