Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

No longer can buy original Doom 3 by itself on Steam

hardcore_gamer said:

TimeSplitter's "level editor" is so simplistic that it barely counts as a level editing program. The only thing you can really do with it is putting together different pre-defined hallways and rooms like legos until you have something that slightly resembles a map. I still had some fun with the level editor from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, but its still pretty worthless in terms of complexity.

Sure, but that wasn't the point.

Agentbromsnor said:

I never wrote that leveleditors are more common with consoles, what the hell are you on about?

Agentbromsnor previously said:

If anything, there have been more games on consoles that include leveleditors

Memory loss?

Agentbromsnor said:

Like I mentioned before, this is most likely because of licensing issues which are getting worse and worse these days. Companies want CONTROL over their investments.

There might be some truth to that. But it doesn't explain why large publishers permitted the distribution of modding tools in the first place. Short-sightedness I suppose, but they must have had some idea of what the given potential was.

DoomUK said:

Memory loss?

I'm sorry, but apparently you either don't get it, or you like to take my post out of context. Yes, I do think editors are more prominent in console-games than 15 years ago, but that still doesn't hold any comparison to editors in PC games. I'm well aware of that. That comment was solely to debunk this "console games can never have editors" shtick that many PC gamers seem to hold up.

Seriously. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer OR console gamer, but there are already large groups of people who are looking down on gamers without us having to fight amongst ourselves over which platform can produce the most pixels and frames per second.

Agentbromsnor said:

That comment was solely to debunk this "console games can never have editors" shtick that many PC gamers seem to hold up.

I wouldn't go so far as to say console games can't have editors. But unless there's mice and keyboards available for the current line-up of consoles, there's an obvious advantage to using a PC to do that kind of stuff, right?

Silly rivalry over an unimportant topic has nothing to do with it. If we were having this discussion 12 years ago I might have felt more strongly, I'll admit.

It's just the way you worded it, 'there have been more games on consoles with level editors' gives the impression you are saying 'more than PC'

he's right in that level editors have a pretty rich history on most platforms, if you remember games like Excite Bike way back on NES you'll know what I mean; and custom user content is probably more popular now days, Little Big Planet for eg. and Minecraft\Terraria in many ways

That's why it's so strange that id and other FPS developers don't include some simple editor, even as rudimentary as TimeSplitters, user content is just a huge selling point. They could take Doom, pop some simple ass editor, port it for Windows and 360\PS3, charge $15 and make some easy money

Just in case anyone wasn't aware.

Doom 3 is back, it's now $10. (From $20)

RoE is back, it's now $5. (From $10 iirc)

The DOOM 3 pack is available for $12.99.

Ultimate DOOM, DOOM 2 are now $5. Final DOOM is back on sale, also for $5. (All from $10)

Unfortunately, Master Levels is still left out in the cold. I hope they choose to sell it again. Also, it's interesting (and awesome) to see the games get a price reduction.

Fuzzyfireball said:

Also, it's interesting (and awesome) to see the games get a price reduction.

It's the least they could do to rectify such a huge screwup.

Fuzzyfireball said:

Unfortunately, Master Levels is still left out in the cold.

It used to be included in Doom II. You bought Doom II on Steam, you got the Master Levels with it.

Gez said:

It used to be included in Doom II. You bought Doom II on Steam, you got the Master Levels with it.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's still unobtainable since they took it away from DOOM 2.

I have a feeling they'll make it $5, like Deathkings, which is fine if they do.

Oh, they also removed the Super id Software Pack. It was included with that previously, so there still was an (expensive) way to get it. Now there is truly no way to buy the Master Levels from Steam. It exists on the catalog, but cannot be bought independently nor through any pack and compilation.

They should make a "Classic Doom Pack" to complement the "Doom 3 Pack".