Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

Yeah, I have doom dreams semi-often. Those are generally my best ones & I feel doom is a great way to dream vividly & to get into lucid dreaming. :-)

I have lucid doom dreams sometimes, generally, I'm running in horror or gunning those demons down. One of my first doom dreams, was an underwater torture chamber map. I have 90% of it made so far, will release it one of these days, lol. :-P

Here's some screenshots for now. >.>

http://i.imgur.com/kcjsSHC.png

http://i.imgur.com/eS5i9Lq.png

http://i.imgur.com/ljJUZW0.png

Great thread, so many wonderful ideas, I feel like a dream-doom triple mega-wad deluxe pack could be made from this thread. B-)

@Astral-Doomer "Lucid"...what did that type of dreaming mean again? You realize you're dreaming then can change the dream? If so...that must make the potential Doom maps that can come from said dreams even better!

Also, you remember that much detail from the Doom maps seen in your dreams? That's awesome!

I was playing MAP11 of jumpmaze and I was at the final section before the exit, I jumped on 3 different platforms that got higher each time, just like in the map.
When suddenly, the next platform is a 3d plate from my house, it has brown stripes just like the one at home and the same shape, I proceed to jump on it but as soon as I land on it, it falls with me but it broke apart when it landed, I then get the other way(the section is symmetric, just like in the wad) and this time there are no plates, I got to the top and pushed the exit and woke up.

I told this dream to my mom, she said that a plate actually fell and broke, but it's not the one I dreamed about.

Xane123 said:

@Astral-Doomer "Lucid"...what did that type of dreaming mean again? You realize you're dreaming then can change the dream? If so...that must make the potential Doom maps that can come from said dreams even better!

Also, you remember that much detail from the Doom maps seen in your dreams? That's awesome!

Lucid, your state of awareness is similar to the waking state(Your brain in lucid/rem mode, is almost identical to the waking state). I try to change it, if I can(Requires a lot of mental control, sometimes). ;-)

That's the coolest part, you remember the dreams from your subconscious mind(Which is where all your data goes), so it makes the potential for levels go up, because it's exactly what you truly desire from doom or whatever else tickles your fancy. :-)

If I focus hard enough, I can remember a lot of detail from my dreams. Probably around 90%, give or take. Some stuff gets lots in transition over time but in essence, the raw data will always remain, until I'm dead. 8-)

One of the best ways to invoke lucid dreaming, is to ask yourself, mentally & physically(13.3% & 30% effectiveness for mental & physical), "Am I dreaming?". It teaches your mind to think in-exquisite.

Which sometimes, when you dream, you'll ask yourself, "Am I dreaming" & almost immediately, you can take control & the dream becomes a lucid dream. Have a good day all! B-)

A had a lucid dream once and it was very cool. I could do anything. Next time I'll have one, I'll try to spawn things from Doom.

A normal person makes around 10 dreams every night. The only way to remember your dream is to be wakened while your dream is happening.

Sometimes, I abuse this technique when I'm very sleepy in the morning. When my alarm-clock rings, I get up and press "Snooze". Then I go back to bed and fell asleep almost instantly. When I get wakened 9 minutes later (Snooze lasts 9 minutes), I remember my dream and I do the same thing over and over again. I did this during 2 hours once and I remembered most of my dreams.

Also, it is said that keeping a journal when you write your dreams helps your brain to remember your next dreams.

When I was young (between 7 to 12 years old), I would ALWAYS have dreams about cyberdemons and barons killing my friends and I. Eventually, when I started playing Doom a lot more frequently, the dreams had stopped but every once in a while a Cyberdemon will still appear out of nowhere.

@Astral-Doomer Interesting; If only I realized I was in a dream more; It seems so easy but when you're dreaming, it feels real despite the fake environments, especially when you see Doom.

I can remember...a lot of my dreams but usually it's only the most memorable parts I remember; Sometimes the dreams aren't interesting, so I don't remember anything from them.

@axdoom1 10 dreams? You mean even if you only wake up a couple times in a night you still are going through multiple dreams?

I wish there was a device that somehow could take what you "saw" when dreaming and turned it into a video file so you could watch everything you saw; Then if someone asked you what you dreamed, you could show it to them; Someone needs to find out how your brain generate the images and sound and turn it into a video file!

@stru Those sound like they'd be nightmares!

Xane123 said:

@axdoom1 10 dreams? You mean even if you only wake up a couple times in a night you still are going through multiple dreams?

Sorry, I exaggerated the number. Now that I have looked on the Web, it says the average person has 3 - 6 dreams every night. Different sources have different numbers. A source says that during an 8 hours sleep cycle, two hours is spent dreaming.

Xane123 said:

I wish there was a device that somehow could take what you "saw" when dreaming and turned it into a video file so you could watch everything you saw;

It already exists. The technology is still primitive in the sens that a computer can't reconstruct the image (a video frame) of a dream if it doesn't have another image that looks alike in its data base to compare to when it tries to guess what you're seeing.

I had a dream about the final map of Doom 64, the Absolution.

When I opened my eyes I found myself standing alone in one of hell's darker chambers. My eyes adjusted to the gloomy space and resolved cyclopean masonry surrounding me. The ancient walls were crusted with nitre. The foul atmosphere continued to assault my senses as I gathered my thoughts. I fought tooth and claw against the hordes from unknown gulfs of time an space, things that shouldn't exist. They were aberrations of nature, an unholy fusion of flesh and metal. Summoned into existence for the sole purpose of massacring those who stand in their way. They were terrible eldritch things that we inadvertently let in, countless monstrosities whom spread chaos and feasted on the flesh of their victims. I found myself in their realm, I had a single mission and that was to close the gateway and end this nightmare once and for all.

I felt, I somehow knew that the source of this invasion was somewhere beyond the vast wooden door which was adorned with faces only seen in nightmares. The mission that I mentioned was near it's end, I had gone through hell to locate three terrible artifacts of nebulous origins, they were the keys to ending this. On my quest, my odyssey of terror, I had stumbled upon an ancient, otherwordly device, a weapon that could only have been crafted by the forces of darkness themselves. Driven by the three "demon-keys", I have ravaged hordes of evil throughout my journey. It was constructed from what appeared to be bones of demons and obsidian. Strange runes were carved right into the "unmaker".

I approached the colossal door, as if sensing my presence it opened all on it's own by splitting in half horizontally. I emerged into a massive courtyard with an immense edifice in the center, surrounded by three gigantic standing stones, ancient monoliths. It was dead silent here, not a single audible thing could be heard save for my footsteps. I stared up at the strange, otherworldly sky. It was an unforgiving maelstrom of swirling smoke and raging fires a the horizon.

There was a strange cold breeze coming from the three massive megaliths that surrounded the central structure. These must have been the three gateways, the three keys in my possession began to give off a faint glow. I advanced upon the nearest gateway and made note of it's rather strange appearance. Although it was constructed from basalt, the central portion seemed different. There was no texture, it wasn't rough or smooth, it was like looking at the night sky, void of stars however. I was peering into what appeared to be an immense void of terrible suggestion. A strange glowing shape appeared in the middle of the void, in the shape of a demon key. Quickly I reached for one of the artifacts and placed it into the glowing light, suddenly the ground beneath my feet began to tremble and the entire megalith crumbled before me. It was deactivated, shut down, whatever you wanted to call it.

I made haste and rushed to the other gateways, a cacophony of nightmarish things emenated from the second gateway, however I was able to close it before anything could emerge. I ran to the third gate as fast I could. Before shutting it closed I peered into the vast gulf of darkness and distinguished an endless moving mass of terrible, inhuman shapes advancing towards me. It was a limitless stream of demons from beyond the stars, screaming for my blood. I let out my own scream of terror and closed the final gateway just as the first thing, a massive, flabby thing of cybernetics and flesh with fusion cannons for arms shambled into sight. As the final gateway collapsed a loud, spine tingling shriek filled the courtyard. I spun around immediately and saw the central edifice lowering to the floor revealing the presence of something terrible and angry.

It was difficult to describe, but images of a massive slug and dragons of fabled primitive lore beamed through my mind. It levitated through the air like a cloud of hatred, unfurling four massive arms that terminated in massive claws. It had other vestigial limbs that painfully twitched as it moved it's immensity towards me. This had to be the so-called "mother demon", the creature responsible for this new attack. There was no going back, this would end right here and right now. Arming the unmaker I charged screaming doom.

Piper Maru said:

I once had a dream that I was was living on e2m2.

Piper Maru said:

So I had a rather interesting Doom-related dream earlier this week.

Piper Maru said:

With all this recent Doom 64 talk, I had a dream about level 18: Spawned Fear.

Piper Maru said:

Here's the prequel to my Doom 64 dream:

Piper Maru said:

I had a dream about the final map of Doom 64, the Absolution.

You should write a book. ;-)

Last night, I had a dream where I was playing Doom for the SNES in multiplayer mode in split-screen. We were four players, but I don't know who they were because the only thing that I was seeing was the screen. The game was running smoothly (unlike SNES Doom does in single player mode). The map was E1M8 and there was a plasma gun that I used at some point to shoot at a baron. We were in the room where there is supposed to be two barons, but there were three. Another pillar was added between the two pillars where there are barons inside. The new baron was inside this one. I can also remember that the room wasn't accessible like it is normally with a lift. It was replaced with small stairs and a brown tech door.

Piper Maru said:

So I had this dream that I wrote a Doom book.

:P

If you did, I should be the one illustrating it.

I haven't had a Doom dream in ages, or any videogame dream for that matter; they've been all about real life and/or school lately. Most of them involve really upsetting shit, too. Makes me want to not sleep at all.
Anyway, last Doom dream I remember was about Doom 4, and that was a few months ago.

I was actually in the game, carrying a plasma gun; the map was a big structure of dark rooms, one of which was a spiralling hellish corridor surrounded with bars, somewhat like the secret in Doom 2 MAP26 or the exit in MAP15, except it had a more Doom 3 Lost Mission-esque feel to it. There were some chaingunners shooting at me from some cages in the surrounding darkness, but I couldn't kill them because I needed a key to unlock their cages.
Another room was very techbase-like, with a plasma ammo dispenser in the corner. It looked like a big oven or washing machine of some sort. For some reason, despite being as careful as I could be, I always managed to accidentally touch the dispenser; its surface was burning hot so I ended up with some awful burns on my arms and legs.
When I woke up I was glad that was just a dream, heh. But aside from that, it was a pretty cool dream.

Also had a dream a few days ago that was not really about Doom, but rather about Doomworld: Apparently, my descriptive geometry teacher sent me a message on here and I was too scared to read it at first. Turned out she just wanted to ask if I could recreate my homework in the Doom engine.

I don't remember the last Doom dream I had, but I often like to incorporate ideas found in my dreams into my Doom maps. It's a great source of inspiration :)

I remember more than a couple years ago I had, what I'll call for the sake of pc-ness, a dream. I was in my car on the way home from work. It was extremely foggy outside, to the point where it looked almost like trees "in the void." I was on the street before the street my house is located on before I realized I didn't know where I was anymore. It was such a memorable experience that I later made a map involving that "forest in the void."

Good times ;)

scifista42 said:

Who, whom, why, how, what was that supposed to mean, RaphaelMode?

Is that an established default response to my posts yet, Or still not? I'm talking about my Doom-Related Draem of course.

I had a dream when I was little where I think I was in a cargo van with a bunch of ski-masked imps going off to rob Wal-Mart... fire was spread.

I had another dream where I was in a beautifully designed GZDoom map with Sonic-esque textures set underwater (there were pipes that could transport the player to and fro, and the map was surrounded in a groovy underwater city skybox) ... and I think I was Sonic (sonic cd-esque sprites) in a third person view.

I have other dreams but don't feel like trying to remember them.

I was staying over at my parents' house when I had a dream about seeing an Imp in the bedroom window throwing a fireball at me, causing me to wake up.

That felt so real it was uncanny... which is weird since the Imp was a 2D sprite.

Did he fire through the glass of a closed window? That would be still in compliance with Doom's logic. Doom windows don't have glass.

I dreamed that I was in space with just a shotgun and had to cleanse Deimos with a shotgun. Then when I woke up I was in my underwear at the supermarket taking aim with french bread at some person. Then I woke up again. It was all a dream. Well fictitious, because I thought it would be funny to say I dreamed here on the forum.

scifista42 said:

Did he fire through the glass of a closed window? That would be still in compliance with Doom's logic. Doom windows don't have glass.

He did, actually. :O

Some time ago, I had a dream that I was playing a map pack in co-op survival mode with Memfis and one other guy. It was a city map in night time, with a lot of atmospheric blue and green GZDoom lighting everywhere. I don't remember most of it, except for the ending: we headed down a zig-zagging passage and found our way blocked by a boom barrier. Ahead of us was some kind of giant parking lot (?) with a single pain elemental in it. We began to shoot at it, only for a Cyberdemon or two to teleport in next to the elemental. We turned and ran back down the passage... only to find that another Cyberdemon has teleported in back near the passage's beginning, and we were about to get trapped between a rock and a hard place.

With a little work I could recreate this in Doom Builder even now.

JudgeDeadd said:

We began to shoot at it, only for a Cyberdemon or two to teleport in next to the elemental. We turned and ran back down the passage... only to find that another Cyberdemon has teleported in back near the passage's beginning, and we were about to get trapped between a rock and a hard place.

The part about the Cyberdemons and the one teleporting behind you reminds me so much of DoomKid's slaughterfest version of Doom 2's Underhalls, which after that moment I promptly renamed Underballs because of the pounding I received. >.< Still, fun map to play :)

To be completely honest, I had a Terry WAD dream strangely enough. It's just extremely sad.

scifista42 said:

But even if it did, a nice reminder that two-sided linedefs do let projectiles through.

Tritnew said:

To be completely honest, I had a Terry WAD dream strangely enough. It's just extremely sad.

I'm quite interested in your nightmare.

Cell said:

But even if it did, a nice reminder that two-sided linedefs do let projectiles through.I'm quite interested in your nightmare.

I was pretty much If It was playing DOOM on the computer screen, face was there, keys were there and everything, when I got through the door, than the raping pretty much happended to the point where I woke up, than went back to sleep to have a BETTER dream. It was that bad I suppose.

I'd had a few post apocalyptic dreams where there were literal realistic renditions of doom monsters crawling out of the ground and mauling everything in their path. I can't tell you how many nightmares I've had over the final cut scene of ultimate doom episode 3 when I was a child.

just had a dream a couple nights ago carmack showed up at my house and asked to see something.

I remember there was quite a bit more to it, but for some reason that's the only clear detail that I can remember :/