Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

Actually, yeah.  Mostly when I was a teen and Doom was still new.  When all the crazy hell-shit started seeping into the maps, I started having dreams about hell and demons... I knew what Hell was, but Doom was actually sort of the first piece of media that really actually explored Hell in detail.  Yet the fact that Doom is so psychedelic and has such "low definition" as it were really put my imagination into overdrive.

I particularly remember the Mt. Erebus level really affecting my dreams.  The walls made of human skin and that weird glowing blue and red texture that is used a lot on the map led to a really fucked up dream that was a borderline nightmare where I was lost in a maze made of human skin with eyes stuck inside constantly watching me.  Eventually I freaked out and began peeling away the skin and it revealed that weird blue/red texture and the room began flooding with blood and blue goo.  I know later in the dream there were some imps... but it's been so long I can't recall all the details.  I'm amazed I remember as much as I did about that particular dream.  But I still always get a weird feeling whenever I play the Mt. Erebus level.  I always think of that dream.

I recently had a dream about an UDMF sector effect "Spawn Diet Item" which had one parameter and was implemented for compatibility with some doom-engine Commander Keen sequel. Normally it would spawn some yellow diet soda collectible in the center of the sector, and I mean it would just be there right away like all the other things, so your guess why not just place the thing directly is as good as mine. In UDMF, it was directly parametrized, so you could spawn other items that way too, but I think they had to be inherited from the diet soda, or else it wouldn't work. The diet soda pedestal was only compatible with diet actors.

Fascinating.

I decided to look over a document I've saved for years now and occasionally still update with some dreams I remember having. I did a keyword search for Doom and came up with these (long read):

Spoiler

-I was in the shopping center in Carlsbad near the mall only it looked different and there were quite a few shops surrounding the place. I was in one of them looking for Doom for the GBA.

12/??/09 - Silence of the Lambs
----------------------------------
I dreamed Doom 64 had this strange second-level that exposes you to a few mancubuses.
They were all behind the same cage, aiming to fire at you.
And just below was another mancubus with an arachnotron behind a cage.
This is where I got the idea for the "Silence of the Lambs" level in my Doom WAD.

12/??/09 - Fortress
----------------------------------
Another idea came to me through a dream.
I dreamed there was this fortress with a lot of Toxic Waste and enemies like the pain elemental.
Then there were two elevators that lead up to a hell knight.
This is where I got the idea for the third level, "Fortress" for my Doom WAD.

12/28/09 - DOOM
-----------------------------------
Yet again, there was a dream about unique Doom levels.
This one involved the last two levels.
The second to last level was an enclosed level with toxic waste.
It was dark and it had a lot of chaingunners and cacodemons.
Only strange thing was the cacodemons looked like they do in the 64 version.
The last level involved a lot of chaingunners again.
Only there was a Spider Mastermind that looked like it could have been in the 64 version.
It was outside under a dark sky during a thunder storm and it was the final battle.

(This is talking about the last level of Doom Core - I would have made a metal sewer map for MAP29 with these ideas except my sewer map for Plutonia Revisited was rejected, and I decided to place that there instead)

1/22/10 - Doom And Halo
I dreamed the Doom marine started off in front of a Revenant and he would start by running away.
There were a lot of enemies chasing him, even this strange cacodemon with a red body.
Only it was actually more closer to the size of him.
Then later when the battle was won, there were suddenly space marines dressed like Master Chief.
They were doing frontflips and backflips and even I was doing frontflips as one of them.
It seemed we were at the beach near a tall hotel building of some sort.

2/4/10 - Fortress Command

I made a doom builder level with a cage containment area with little drop holes in them.
But they were all connected through staircases and teleporting platforms.

(Talking about the eastern area behind the red key door in Doom Core map 3)

2/17/10 - More Doom Ideas
------------------------------------

There was another part where I was playing this Doom game that had more than just three sky textures.
The third level was a sky level and the sky was a greenish color, but it looked cool with the floating stage.
There was also a part of the level where this family of three where having dinner and talking.
The son said something to the mother that convinced the father that the mother had to change herself.
With that, the mother grabbed a hand full of green army men toys and went upstairs. Really weird!

3/10/10 - Doom 64, Again
There was a thunderous dark-red sky.
And there was this dark-red rocky area where this strange-looking arachnotron was.
There was also a mancubus on the cliff side firing constantly at the player.
Plus a cyberdemon but between the two short cliffs.
The doom marine fired rockets to nail the mancubus and the plasma rifle to kill the arachnotron.
Only the plasma fire looked like laser needles much like Axelay's needle cracker.

3/11/10 - Wolfenstein Soldiers And Doom Builder
I dreamed I had made some really neat and cool looking levels in Doom Builder.
One of them had high windows and lots of crates around the place.
The other also had some crates, only they were packed in a certain room with clever secrets.
The first one had the Spider Mastermind as the boss for the stage with Wolfenstein soldiers.

11/8/10 - Doom WADs from Johnny and Robby
The dream was that both Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac were both once designers of Doom II levels.
Johnny had made an 11-level episode that was supposedly highly acclaimed.
It was like a total conversion of Doom II into a miniature RPG adventure.
Only it was with Mario characters just like Mario RPG, because Geno was there.
Robby made levels like that of the Master Levels, mostly in the style of Tim Willits.
He designed this house structure and it had all these clever inter-connecting staircases.
There was this one staircase that went up and turned around into the attic.
I was actually in this house and up the stairs there was a hallway in the attic.
So I walked through to the other side, which led to the outside.

01/04/11 - Doom Designs
There was this rocky structure underground with a turning staircase on the waters.
I dreamed that this was supposed to be Matthias Worch's Trooper's Playground episode.
But I had dreamed that Adam Windsor had improved upon some qualities of this level.
I also saw an outdoor area with a long wooden bridge curving across the waters.
There were also some rockies surrounding it and an exit teleporter on one of the ledges.
It looked like something from Jens Nielsen.
This was the inspiration for the level, "Divine Judgement".

03/27/11 - Hell Revealed II/Alien Vendetta
I dreamed I was either playing Hell Revealed II or Alien Vendetta.
I was on the last two levels and I think the second to last one was a rocky level.
The last level was a really tall level structure much like "Stench of Evil"
It started in this metal/techbase fortress and worked it's way down this road.
The road lead through this rocky area with a stone wall and staircase.
This eventually lead to another road leading to the last area.
The last sky texture was actually much like the sunset it started on.
I just remember an arch-vile enemy resurrecting enemies from an unseen spot.
Much like Final Doom's "The Twilight" where enemies seemingly spring back to life.
The only other thing I remember is some kid from high school wandering through this rocky passage.

??/??/11 - Purple Doom
-------------------------------
I dreamed there was this purple-tiled temple area where the doomguy starts off surrounded by enemies.
It seemed to also have a rocky terrain with some lava areas and it seemed pretty cool.

(Possible prediction of Ancient Aliens? lol)

5/29/11 - Crashed Plane
-----------------------
(snippet from a longer dream)

I dreamed that I had spoken with Orin Flaharty and that he was still making Doom maps.
Rachel was also involved in making maps and she was making her own megawad.

09/04/12 - Excalibur In Saturn X
--------------------------------
I dreamed I played a level from Bob Evans very much like Excalibur from Eternal Doom.
It was a different level that played cleverly with well hidden secrets for progression.
It played like the last level but it had the first episode sky in place for it.
There was a part I'd forgotten about in the level that resembled a teleport chamber seen in MAP15 of Eternal Doom.
There were Wolfenstein soldiers behind cages that were at two corners of a bridge that curved before moving forward.

(Not sure why I included Saturn X in the title; maybe it was supposed to be part of the map set)

07/18/13 - The Old Mall
In the dream I was in the mall area but it typically looked different.
It did however look similar to an old dream I had a long time ago.
It was similar to a dream I had in the same area where I would try to get Doom for the GBA.
So I was at the mall and they had a game store with every kind of used game for every system.

12/25/13 - Doom 64 Builder
--------------------------
I dreamed that Katamori was working on a Doom 64 Megawad and I got to collaborate on one of the levels with him.
It looked pretty cool and I got to see one of the levels was a dark fortress with revenants(!) and arachnotrons.

04/24/14 (snippet from another dream)

-There was another part of the dream that involved a Doom level that was made for a project.
It was a large, hellish-looking castle set in a hell-themed level, and filled with the Baron from hell.

07/17/14 - Wario Land
---------------------
I dreamed I went back to playing Wario Land 3 & 4 again for the GameBoy Color/Advance.
There was also a megawad that I believe was supposed to be Memento Mori, although it looked different in the dream.
The Doom marine had a blue armor outlook similar to Bill Rizer in Neo Contra, even appearing without a helmet.
There was also a level map similar to Ultimate Doom, except you could move between levels like Super Mario World.
So you could play any levels at any time, including some secret levels.
The textures I also remember to be gritty looking and sporting something of a blue tint similar to the armor.

08/02/14 (snippet from another dream)

-There was some other part I can't remember as well, but it reminded me of a Doom map a little bit.
Specifically, "Against Thee Wickedly" as it had a rounded pillar area with an overlook to some ledges.
I had a sniper rifle and was aiming toward these dangerous people who were also armed and was tasked to take them out.
This is as much as I can remember of it.

03/18/15 (snippet from a longer dream)

-When I got back later, for some reason I knew where sasquatch was, and I had the weapons from Doom to prepare for it.
I was scared to face them, and I think I told someone nearby me that I was going to be prepared to fight them.
I took out the BFG from Doom, tore a paper wall that lead to sasquatch's lair, and jumped in.
The place was empty, until I realized they were behind me to my left, so I quickly turned around to face them.
They looked like the rabbit costume in that movie Donnie Darko, and it took two shots from the BFG to take them out. (lol)

07/03/17 (snippet from another dream)

-There was another part where I was in a somewhat Doom-looking construct with a lift to a dining room area.
One of the Na'vi of Avatar was down there, and I had some kind of gun on me, but I lowered it and walked up to them.
Then they pulled out a knife in anger to attack me, but they only slightly wounded me and I knocked it out of their hands.
I was angry after that and told them I lowered my weapon in trust, but they betrayed that trust.
So I told them it would be my word that we trust since they tried to attack, and I simply moved back to the lift.

There are some more Doom-related dreams I've had, but either they appeared too briefly to be mentioned here or I didn't bother to write them down. I had a couple not too long ago but didn't write them down. I think one of them involved a castle fort bridge suspended over waters with chaingunners on the wall, and the castle textures were dark and gothic-looking in appearance. There was a ledge with a small body of water between where the player was on the cliff and where the chaingunners were on the castle wall that doubled as a bridge.

Just this night I had a dream about Doom Builder (I'm using GZDB-BF right now). I even remember the layout, so I drew today some sketches from memory.
toTIzgg.jpg
This is mostly industrial outside area with stairs, watch tower and wire fences.
Also I remember night blue sky, similar which I used in second part of Urania
WcR2TWD.png

The layout is perfectly fit to MAP04 of my project, so I adding this, though the skybox will be different.

P.S. Fun fact I've not mapped almost a week, but this dream gives me some inspiration.

I dreamed of a game; it was in the Doom engine, but it looked a bit like Hexen, and was more identifiable as a NetHack-esque game. It had Dream Theater -- The Mirror playing at parts.

Must have to do with these facts:

• I did a cover of The Mirror using VSTs, and did think about doing a last Hexetic game, that concludes the series, where the chess universe is revealed. It would use The Mirror in some parts.
  • I play NetHack sometimes. Old 80s roguelikes are awesome at stimulating the imagination, much like pixelated Doom was.

Some days ago I dreamed that I was exploring a cave, rock textures like in any cave in Doom, there was blue water also I think. The thing is that it suddenly got flooded by cacodemons and pain elementals, but they never went aggressive to me (real me, not a marine), unlike me spamming shells against them. Besides, splash damage seemed to be nullified in my dream cause I could also spam rockets to them at close distance and never feel any pain. Another thing was that there was another weird creepy monster, alike the spiderdemon but with tentacles instead of metal legs, and incredibly faster. Sadly, I woke up before I could even do something.  

I recently had a dream about a wonderfully sadistic and absolutely lethal map in which everything would kill you with a single shot. It also involves tricky timed platforming, ammo starvation, tysoning cyberdemons, risk of suicide from rocket splash damage and more good stuff. I already started working on it...

34 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I recently had a dream about a wonderfully sadistic and absolutely lethal map in which everything would kill you with a single shot. It also involves tricky timed platforming, ammo starvation, tysoning cyberdemons, risk of suicide from rocket splash damage and more good stuff. I already started working on it...

Now I'll have nightmares of this map

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I already started working on it...

Let's see when this nightmare will spread throughout the Doomworld :D

10 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Let's see when this nightmare will spread throughout the Doomworld :D

I don't know if I'll ever release it "publically" when it's finished, to be honest. Maybe I'll get it ready fast enough so that it can have a spot in slaughterMAX, if there are any slots left to begin with, or I'll release it along with a few other maps I have started working on as part of a set, or I'll just put it in a status update, share it with a few interested people or whatever. I just don't know. Most people will hate it anyway, and I have no interest in reading all the comments saying how it is too difficult or whatever.

12 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

tysoning cyberdemons

You need to chew on their ears?! o.o;

@Nine Inch Heels Why don't you just post it for a specific target anyway? If I recall correctly, Dimensions didn't get any hate in its thread, yet it's supposed to be "too difficult" for a great part of the forum. If you like your map and you're satisfied with it, people with real intentions to play it will see that and, even if it's too much for them, they're not going to bash your wad. Besides, you already know a lot of users who'd try maps by yours, read: try

I had a dream of me waiting on that one super long elevator from Mock 2:The Speed Of Stupid and when I got to the end I ended up in the club from the credits of Mock 2:The Speed Of Stupid. I had the dream on the day I beat Mock 2:The Speed Of Stupid for the 10th time. I don't know why I like it so much.

I had a dream that Doomworld reverted back to a very outdated forum software (even older than the original one) and I found a post from the year 2701. Every other post was from reasonable past dates, except for that one. The thread I found it on was discussing a creepypasta esque Doom wad named "Silence" which involved some kind of haunted classroom full of crates. I later physically went into the wad but don't remember it much, aside from a computer screen attempting to jumpscare me with the desktop background changing to some gory stuff, and the whole room getting subsequently flooded by tiny little insects. I think I ended up noclipping through the ceiling and fucking off outta there.

Only Doom related thing I've had in my sleep was seeing enemies at the end of the super shotguns barrel. I had a similar thing happen back in my COD 4 days with the image of the scope and cross-hair when i shut my eyes.

I had another dream today, in this one I found an extremely old version of ZDoom, which apparently bricked the computers of hundreds of people who tried to run it. There were tons of posts about it on Doomworld and people were outraged at the author (who, in this dream, was some random guy whose username I forget). I also found some promotional material for that particular ZDoom version, including a website with an autoplaying cheesy video that felt like an 80s videogame commercial. I don't remember much from that video but it involved a pretty fancy automap view with glowing green lines against a black background.

On 25. 12. 2017 at 11:26 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Good luck with audience

When I was a kid back in the early 00's, I had a dream about Doom. I was probly around 5 or 6 at the time. Anyways I got up in the dead of night, and a wall of my room was missing. I looked outside and on the street below, doom monsters were roaming all around. As soon as I saw them, the floor started lowering, dropping me down into the street with them, and I started running around with all the pixelated doom monsters chasing me in the street. They chased me for a while and then I woke up. Thats one of the earliest dreams I can remember, actually.

Had a dream 6-7 years ago where I was in some Doom 3 looking facility, with very cramped hallways and small rooms, poor lighting, and I was seemingly unarmed. But I was able to 'sight jack' into nearby monsters' minds and see what they saw, unbeknownst of me being able to do this. There was something low to the ground somewhere that remained dormant, and low guttural growls could be heard occasionally. I went back to my vision and as I approached doors they would slide open, the only noise in the deathly silent environment, and I'd keep sight jacking back to the monster to see if it was close-by to me or not. Eventually I noticed it started to move, and fast, stomping loudly, taking quick turns and approaching a door as it slid open. I went back to my vision and saw a door sliding across from me and out came the D3 pinky demon, growling and charging me. I ran away and took a corner and ran down this L shaped corridor to where it lead to a dead end. Looking back and seeing it stop and turn before coming towards me I suddenly somehow had a weapon on me, I remember it looking like the old D3 shotgun design, and I was wielding it one-handed and began firing at the monster, it had no recoil and it operated like a semi-auto shotgun. I emptied into the creature as it got closer and closer, wondering when or if it'll die. It finally slumped forward when it got real close and let out a death groan. I then carefully walked around it, unsure if it was truly dead or not, and ran out of the corridor before the dream ended.

So basically Doom 3 meets Siren.

I remember this dream I had years ago. I was in a circular medium sized room with hellish textures, a big fireblu pillar in the middle and a stairway along the walls that led up to a door. I remember trying to leave trough the door, only to realize it was locked and the room was being filled with cacos. I tried to frantically bring up the menu so I could quit the game but it would not work for whatever reason. Just when the cacos were about to eat me, the door opened and I managed to escape.

I dreamed that I was playing Scythe 1 with High Noon Drifter. I've never played any Scythe WAD, and I've never played High Noon Drifter. 

Last night I dreamed that I was in a "hellish" "slaughter" map. Although nothing scary at all, I remember there was a straight path with lamps on the sides, and two tall red platforms that had a nonsense number of spiderdemons on them (because of the size of the platform), and one cyberdemon that appeared later, though there kept appearing more spiderdemons via silent teleporting. I think there were cacos on ledges too, the area was quite similar to Scythe's last episode.  

It might become real someday. 

I had a dream that @antares031 made a very blue, very big map with switch puzzles and NPCs, and it was featured on TNS. I changed my player color to be as blue as possible and joined the game. The map had several sections locked with keys, one of which was a big village which hosted the NPCs and involved a really cool storyline about some kind of magical demonic cyborg uprising. I don't remember much from that story but it was neat.

At some point in the dream, the author himself joined the game and I asked him whether his love for blue is as big as my own love for orange. Looking back at it now, I'd say it's bigger, seeing as I haven't made any excessively orange megawads yet.

2 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

I had a dream that @antares031 made a very blue, very big map with switch puzzles and NPCs... ...and I asked him whether his love for blue is as big as my own love for orange.

I am a huge fan of blue textures, I can tell. :D

Haha,I remember a dream,I was in MAP30,on top of the pillar,ready to pump my rockets in the Icon's brain,but...some demon attacks me from behind and I fall off. The sensation of being hurt when smashing on the lava was real.

The dream resetted and I was wondering how to get out of it.

It continued for,like,five or so times,and then I jumped off the pillar myself and I woke up.

I decided to write the dream on paper before I would have forgot it.

Heck,it really did hurt for some reason!

I have had a Doom dream when I was around 7~8. Still remember it. I start at a very wide area with a open area right from me. I start moving, the nearby pillars lower and reveal some Barons on them. I panic and wake up. Disappointing, isn't it?

The context is, back then I have had only the 3DO version - everything was painfully slow, and Barons were quite a pain in the ass to deal with.

For a good number of years now whenever I have a nightmare (scary monsters etc, not general anxiety) I somehow press ESC in my mind and Doom menu opens up. I can see/feel it then it's UP, ENTER, Y and boom, wake up. Shit's weird but super useful.