Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

The first time I ever had a Doom-related dream, I believe it was the other night;

I had made a big map (it was involved with a huge mod – maybe even a TC – but I forgot which it was), and it had quite a few cool gimmicks, like this area where there was a Cyberdemon (but it was an open area), and around it was a big fall, probably into water (similar to the Bluff Eversmoking in Unreal, but I don't think it was a moutain, or at least it was carved into a room). You had to grab some weapons to defeat the Cyberdemon, and use its then free platform to reach another part of the map.

Then I woke up... late for school. '-'

If only I remembered which gimmicks they were... I'd love to do them in actual GZDB! TTcTT

I recently had a dream as if on the Doomworld forum I received 4 warning points for my profile, and was worried about it.

Had a dream where I played a much more elaborate and creepy version of Deus Vult II's "You Shall Not Pass". If you played that map you remember that it involves escaping from a crowd of murderous Balrogs. Well that's what the map in my dream was about, except you had to flee down corridors while the Balrogs, a lot faster and more aggressive, were coming after you. At one point you ended up in a city and you had to flee to a hotel, elbow your way past the crowd of demons imitating a line of customers, and rush into an elevator before it closes. The elevator promptly takes you to Hell. The kicker is that alongside you, there's a regular guy and his little daughter in the elevator, just normal hotel guests who have nothing to do with all this, and once you get taken to Hell you're forced to leave them there in Hell's antechambers as you keep fleeing. You end up escaping through a hellish version of the hotel, including running down spiralling stairs across several floors and running down a long carpeted hallway. In the end I gave up and noclipped outside the map to get away from the Balrogs. At the end it is revealed what happened to the guy and his daughter: the girl was transformed into a twitching, mutant-headed monstrosity, and her dad was found dead and headless near her. I remember going on a TVTropes page for the mapset and seeing people complaining about how unnecessarily cruel that plot point was.

For a bit of trivia, in the city you had to fight a demonic Eric Cartman at one point, and at another point you needed to get through a dark Castlevania-themed building which recreated the platforming sequences from the original Castlevania.

I dream about Doom from time to time, but mostly what I encounter is a tendency to fall into strange spaces that have Doom motifs embedded within them, in the process of entering REM sleep. Frequently, I've experienced quasi-consciousness in that hypnagogic transitory state right before nodding off, and a lot of times they contain environments and entities that are fundamental to my personality. Interestingly, there is sometimes a highly organic or even sexual aspect to these environments, probably owing to two subjects that are on the mind a lot. The last few were very Doom 64-infused, with one of them containing a room with a massive fleshy creature that looked like a more ethereal version of the Quake 1 endboss.

I think this is going to be the weirdest thing I'll say:

A few months ago I dreamed that I played doom, but I rescue girls who the demons captured, and the girls had few clothes ..............

and when I woke up literally I said: Wtf?

I do not know about you but from that day every time I see a similar map I remember that dream

I just had a dream about getting a notification that Doomworld Mega Project 2018's deadline is coming in 40 minutes...

at least it kept me from oversleeping.

I once had a dream where my house was kind of in the shape of hangar, I was having an airsoft war in the house with friends too.

All my doom dreams always revolve around me and Im always thrown into slaughter maps, I always wake up with anxiety. I should get into map making because I faintly remember how these maps were designed

This recent dream though was different involved a beta level of tricks and traps where I think there was an extra door with pillars that had revenants teleporting to each pillar with some mancubus on each side. The revenants teleporting just gave me anxiety

Theres another one were there was black mechanical cacodemon with bull like horns, I still remember to this day, I should sketch hit out someday

I had one last night: I loaded up some wad, not sure what it was, but it had the Doom E1 Sky as the floor but with large square tiles evenly distributed. The sky had been extended with original features (smaller mountains, like small, steep hills had been added) and as I looked closer at the extended sky I realized I had made it awhile ago but had completely forgotten about it and was now rediscovering it in this wad I had loaded (but don't know what wad it was). I was quite blown away by how great the sky looked. The extended E1 sky was so seemlessly done, it looked better than the original and it lent the wad a most wondrous atmosphere and sense of place. The sky is actually burned pretty well into my mind's eye makes me think I should probably try to replicate it.

Probable sources of the dream: I've been playing old DM maps that I made back in the early 00s but never released and some of them play really well and I have no recollection of making them or playing them and they seem totally new to me (hah, kinda cool). The other source is probably the various vietnam/thailand and chinese foggy mountain image searches I did looking for images to make new e1 skies from. 

Otherwise most of my doom related dreams involve the terrifying stomp of the cyberdemon.

Once I had a dream on Build engine, and I tested some of my maps while sleeping.

A few months ago, I had a dream that Dobu had made a map (I don't know why especially Dobu, maybe because he's streaming some mapping session).

This new map was amazing, but however low-detailled. It was a big city, using the doom2 textures stock, a bit like Hellbound, but the real goody here, It was the Olympic stadium, that Dobu made as large as "The Given" map. I haven't met monsters so far. But I was afraid because all was silent, and there is no music I think.

I had noticed on a corner a group of monsters (imps, revenants, chaingunners, shotgunners, hell knights, but especially a cyberdemon). At a some point, they turn slowly, in shifts, coming my direction. But there is a invisible wall in front of them, and they don’t see me. I remember that I activated a switch near of the group. And each monster spawned on the running track, It was funny because I saw that monsters ran with a fluid new animation in their legs. Imagine a imp running on a olympic race :P However, I was starting to worry, because more and more monsters spawned, and I had no weapon, It's like a countdown, I finally saw the cyberdemon running his race. I leave the stadium to find a shotgun or something, but I mostly wanted to run away.

I had a sound from a Terry trap wake me up last night. I've been watching too much Aquarius199.

Doom and Quake have informed my dreams since around puberty.  The darkness, claustrophobia, and disorientation that most maps had, in addition to the concept that any wall could potentially be a monster closet, had a profound impact on my growing mind.  I'm sure that if you put a microphone next to my ear as I sleep, you'll hear shotgun blasts and demons growling.  

I also had nightmares about the Predator

I literally had dreams about Doom monster becoming my friends I even cuddled them

but then: 

I also had dreams about picking a SSG shooting imps in a pretty nice (made up by my mind) doom map or me playing PS1 and suddenly lost sould showing up in my house and I had to shoot them with a NES lightgun....lmao

but also:

my favourite dream was when I was on top of a Cacodemon, flying over a destroyed city, burning down... while smiling

two bottles cough syrup (700mg dxm) but I'm big so probably only touching the third plateau and I've not engaged since

I had been playing a lot of doom that day, now lying in bed flittering between reality and somewhere otherworldly it was as if episode 1 had been imprinted on the room around me, flickering in a strange light, more like psx doom, sometimes  glimpsing furthur into the base where my walls should have been. I'm glad I didn't sense any monsters.

Before you think sweet, let's chug what mum has in the cubboard, this was a brief moment from grueling hours waiting for it to end lol

when I only had the sega 32x version many years ago while I was on hoiday witm my parent and couldn't play the game I remember a dream where I was playing some very interesting maps.

Had a dream about a Doom level which was just a linear series of rooms, but some time (a few minutes or so) after starting the level, a huge horde of monsters would be released near the start and begin slowly closing down on you, room by room (kind of like "You Shall Not Pass" from Deus Vult II).

I had a dream of an absolutely MASSIVE and insane looking map that seemed really awesome, but I know there's no way I have the skill right now to recreate it. Maybe in a couple years. It was a nightime scene, in a huge outdoor courtyard of a mansion, with a bunch of long, wooden dinner tables, as if it was for a party. Then there was an underground cavern with more tables with multiple entrances to it. Then, the map went outside into this magnificent floating island area with green walls and grass, and it was daytime in this area. It's hard to explain, but if I can ever recreate it, it would be awesome

"This thread has been dormant [...]"

Eh, the irony.

Anyways, I've recently had one which isn't directly Doom-related per se, but had elements of and/or references for it.

I was running something of an outer-source debug code(?) for the PC version of 2D platformer Jungle Book (1994), and the command prompt window suddenly displayed a slightly zoomed-out, unknown/unidentified stage (all I remember the background flora elements were incredibly lush and/or confined for any stage from the original game) at a really wide resolution with many various things on the screen and the river water below. Accordingly, it was playing the theme of levels 4 and 5.

(Which, coincidentally, happened to be my favorite from back then playing the actual game.)
I don't know whatever button I've pressed, but suddenly the game switched to a 3D view with a Dungeon Crawler-esque ingame mechanic, but slightly more lenient: there were a total eight fixed directions to go, N-E-W-S and the 45 degrees between them. More importantly though, a HUD made of jungle-y and/or tribe elements (y'know, the bamboo, vines, leaves 'n' stuff) displayed at the bottom, complete with Mowgli's head in the middle in the exact same manner as Doomguy, grimacing while looking left and right and the other.

The style change, in a strange manner, both said "way ahead of its time" and "there's still stuff to be worked on." On one note, the not-so-far background faded into a fog of slightly grayish turquoise, and turning to the sides took a bit of delay time and a black overflash, on the other, the closer graphics were incredibly smooth despite reflecting the pixelarts from the 2D variation, and so did moving either forward or backward move them seamlessly. I could easily alert and even kill enemies in the far-beyond of the greenblue blur by throwing bananas that, like in the original game, wouldn't lose momentum nor altitude (and wouldn't deplete my ammo either, being the "basic infinite projectile" of all.)

And then there was me (Mowgli) accidentally falling off a ledge overlooking the river, which would've meant instant death if I were still playing 2D Jungle Book. Instead...

I fell into the riverbed with swimmable water. The physics and mechanics were similar to Duke Nukem 3D here, again, quite smooth, but I fathomed to catch glance of thin white lines by the sides and running along the bottom into the distance, giving the impression I was "inside the 3D blueprint" of a swimming pool. I also figured it would be ill-advised to stay underwater for long (a corrupt memory told me that in the 2D game I could also survive submerged for a short amount of time) and sinking in deeper gave me a bit uneasy sight: the lower part of the screen would be tinted blurrily red, giving the impression Mowgli was attacked by a shark and was bleeding underwater. More so, he started to display his variant of the "ouch face" with his head slowly turning into a shade of purple. Not wanting to see the worst of it, I promptly resurfaced and everything returned "normal" (as far as it could be called such, hehe.)

The dream ended shortly after, but the last part gave me a reminder of yet another Doom-related experience. The MAP21 of Epic 2 (2010): Shore Dream (eh heh, the irony again) starts by a sea. You can attempt to "swim" through the body of water instead of pursuing your main objective - alas, wading into the sea far enough puts you out in an instant red flash, should you have IDDQD'd prior or not. The Wiki doesn't say anything about it (not that it says anything remarkable about this map to begin with) but I theoretize that Doomguy in this scenario doesn't necessarily drown but instead is killed in a vicious shark attack, despite the pWad not having any shark (or even shark-fin) graphics in. So yeah, it is left for the imagination I suppose.

(Funnily enough, I also happen to love the track for this map. I know it's a Final Fantasy XII one, but that doesn't matter in this sense IMO.)
Uh. I made it again.

The only one I can vividly remember is playing through a map called Ridium. It took place in a gigantic moon base. It looked really similar to the ones seen in that Phobos mapset by Roger Ritenour from the early 2000s. It started in off in a lobby area. It was grey and bright and there were massive windows that overlooked the desolate moonscape filled with craters and canyons. I remember walking around hallways covered with that blue carpet seen in many of the maps in Ultimate Doom. There was a pit of green ooze surrounded by dead trees. I don't remember seeing any enemies while walking around. But that's pretty much all I can remember of this level.

I remember trying to make this map when I woke up, but it never got finished.

Had a dream that I made a Doom level, set in an Egyptian-themed fortress in hell. The map contained a pit from which a horde of undead severed hands (as in, the Choking Hands from "Blood") would come crawling out; there was also a narrow tower with a triangular tip, from which you could straferun into a secret location if you aimed exactly in the right direction.

I had a dream about a mod called "GARAGE.WAD".

(I just searched it on idgames and despite such a mundane name, it doesn't exist! I guess a garage is too boring of a concept to name a wad after...)

It was an old one, made maybe in late 90s, but ambitious. The levels were low on detail, but had a lot of new graphics (and probably sounds too) that created a very distinct atmosphere. The levels were most reminiscent of ALT's city levels but with a lot less linedefs. It also had less urban areas, which felt more like something between Blood and Redneck Rampage. The sprites and textures followed that aesthetic too, many of them probably outright ripped from other games. The super shotgun definitely looked like it was borrowed from Redneck Rampage. There was also a deh patch that let it reload faster.

One thing distinct from Build engine games was the level of abstraction. It was a lot more like Doom, with places maybe looking like cities with buildings but not much in the way of furniture inside them. It also had weird, quasi-seamless level progression that also reminded me of a few levels of ALT. One level ended with jumping onto a circular balcony with enemies, and the next level started you off on the very same balcony and you had to go inside, but if you turned around you'd see completely different buildings outside. The enemies were probably the most interesting thing about it, I think all of them were different kinds of fucked up humans, like mutant zombies or something, but still sapient and with some kind of actual agenda beyond simple bloodthirst.

I think I was playing it in either vanilla of PrBoom initially, but when I wanted to dissect it further, I found GARAGE.WAD to be a completely different mod when opened in Slade or GZDoom. It was still an old mod with replaced assets and a deh patch, but the the sound effects were the kind of absolute gibberish you'd find in bad 90s wads, the deh patch made everything unbalanced with the first weapon firing four times as fast as the chaingun, and the graphics were something cartoony like a mix of The Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead, and on top of all that it was somehow centered on making fun of black women? The protagonist was a black woman, the enemies were black women, and all the weapons were some kind of joke items with no actual reasons for why they'd be lethal in any way. Somehow I can't recall what exactly any of those weapons were, or any other specifics. There were probably some offensive stereotypes in there, but for the most part it was just dumb. And I stopped bothering with it soon.

This was definitely one of the most interesting Doom dreams I ever had. Normally they're pretty much all about vanilla style levels, and take place entirely inside them. This was my first time dreaming of either specific source ports or Slade. There's one notable exception that got stuck in @Cell's mind forever... but that was back when I was still using XWE, so that was the software I dreamed of.

I had a weird dream. In it I was wandering in some hallways, I vaguely recall shooting monsters with a Super Shotgun or something. I didn't even see anything around me if I recall correctly, the screen was my sight. mmh, super shotgun waifu

And then something happened and I switched to a tty to check Internet connectivity...

Then my cat woke me up. Darn.

I mentioned in the thread about Doom's long-term effects that I've had a few dreams about the game, specifically combat and strategies. For example, I had a lot of trouble with the platforming in Sunder Map05, and decided to call it a day with that map. Well guess what? I was able to master the platforming in a dream, hopping from each pillar seamlessly while directing my momentum accordingly. There was also this one fight in Eviternity that I had a lot of trouble with, I literally dreamt up the strategy for that too. 

On 8/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, Scypek2 said:

There's one notable exception that got stuck in @Cell's mind forever

I was finally on the verge of completely forgetting it, I think it serves you just right for bringing all this on yourself. :]

tenor.gif

But as you mention it, I'll fire up my vestigial ANIMDEFS skills again to add some animated barking textures to my experimental repository this time.

Just kidding. THIS piece is timeless, zero doubts.
My only complaint is that even Google images couldn't provide me with pictures of dead wipfs from the Clonk franchise. :[

17 hours ago, Cell said:

My only complaint is that even Google images couldn't provide me with pictures of dead wipfs from the Clonk franchise. :[

deadwipf.png.efb6f942a65fd2eb8524e88e56d90cff.png

There you go. Mystery solved at last. I just re-dowlnoaded Clonk Endeavour to get it.

WOOO3 also contains a hand-drawn approximation of this sprite, on MAP35 "The my house" where you can find the dog in question.

i had a nightmare based on the arc complex from doom eternal, the demons were killing everyone in rather gory ways right in front of me, and i wasn't doomslayer, i was just another dude. in the end i got attacked and killed.

it's one of those days you wake up with your body being very cold for some reason.

I had a dream set in some sewer-water treatment plant and the gimmick of the map was that all you had were rockets and you were constantly pressured by slowly advancing hordes of imps. I remember waking up and remembering the layout of the map and thinking to myself that it was not such a bad idea for a gimmick map.