Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun little map, tasteful additions of new/different graphics... Fucking awful music :P It sounds a lot like ZDoom, the music library software it uses or my PC was choking on the track, but I'm actually not sure.

Anyway, I like it. Good little opener - would have benefitted from another few maps really. A Scythe-style 5-map episode would have been a winner I think, with suitable escalation between maps.

The original version of that track is much, much more palatable and doesn't turn into (what sounds like) a crashing computer stuck on looping a small segment of sound, so yes, I do like it better :P

Pottus: maybe there is medusa effect or something
or you need to append flats/sprites
I'm not going to bother with all this, much easier to just say "limit removing"

I can see(or rather hear) what Phobus is saying about the music, but the overall map is very snappy and well-made. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more maps myself. :)

olo, I was gonna complain about the music but I see almost every post so far has already done so. aside from that twas a fun little map. demo

FDA
I thought I was playing Doom 1 until the Rev appeared :)
Took almost more time to find the secret than to kill the monsters, and managed to almost die. Nice visuals on the map.

Good map, could work as a starter level for a set!

Memfis said:
or you need to append flats/sprites

Yep, which means -merge in Chocolate, instead of -file. Although I don't know if any limit was breached because I used Doom+ (longtics). Some apparently simple maps can have VPOs or whatever, so only testing can tell. There are no medusas, though. Those just slow the game down and don't terminate it.

over_myk.zip

Thanks to everyone for demos and comments. I'm trying to make map02... And I think there is definitely something wrong with the ports that people who complained about the music use. Sounds perfectly okay for me in PrBoom-Plus.

myk said:

There are no medusas, though. Those just slow the game down and don't terminate it.

Hmm, indeed, but they crash Chocorenderlimits for some reason (on this wad for example). Weird.

myk said:

There are no medusas, though. Those just slow the game down and don't terminate it.

Medusas (at least some of them) kill Chocolate Doom. (See whatever that one Plutonia 2 demo is as an example.)

Memfis said:

Thanks to everyone for demos and comments. I'm trying to make map02... And I think there is definitely something wrong with the ports that people who complained about the music use. Sounds perfectly okay for me in PrBoom-Plus.

Yeah, the music sounded fine to me too. I use Bassmidi with an SC-55 soundfont.

Vancrash has a medusa near the start, on that rusty texture... anywhere else? I played it in Doom+ and then played the demo in Chocolate and Chocorenderlimits and none of the engines crashed. Anyone know which Plutonia 2 demo with a medusa supposedly crashes Chocolate? If it occurs, it should be a Chocolate bug because in all my years playing and seeing very many medusa effects in vanilla, I don't ever recall it crashing because of them.

By the way, that music sounds bad no matter what it's played with :p

TimeOfDeath said:
FDA with a stupid death.

Nah, just a very smart revenant!

myk said:
I played it in Doom+ and then played the demo in Chocolate and Chocorenderlimits and none of the engines crashed.

Interesting, I tried playing the level with Chocorenderlimits and Chocolate Doom and they both terminated consistently when I looked toward the medusa. That seems to show that the bug is only triggered when input from the mouse and keyboard is available...

Here is my demo. Does it crash when you guys play it?

Edit: It's not related to playing and playback but to what you do in the map. If you turn left early, it gets terminated, but if you go right and open that section like I do in the demo, when you look back at the medusa Chocolate doesn't die. This issue occurs in Chocolate but not in vanilla.

vanc_myk.zip

Wow, that medusa stuff is freaky.
And can someone please tell me where exactly that midi sounds bad? Just curious. :D This is how it sounds on my system - mp3.

Heh, well, two things are getting mixed up here, a supposed technical issue and not liking the music :p

By the way, I found the Plutonia 2 demo you mentioned, Dragonsbrethren. It's an intro demo and it's mentioned in the existing and open bug report for this issue. The report also mentions the bug apparently getting fixed in some versions or a way to get it to play by playing and then using End game, but all of that is just corrupt memory juggling. Whether and when it gets triggered depends on in-game events and also on the engine build.

Edit: And here's another report on the same bug. It mentions some demos you recorded, Memfis (and Never_Again evidently posted it.)

Memfis said:

Wow, that medusa stuff is freaky.
And can someone please tell me where exactly that midi sounds bad? Just curious. :D This is how it sounds on my system - mp3.

I extracted the midi from the wad and verified that it plays fine in quicktime or whatever else, but for some reason it goes to shit in prboom+ for me.

here's a recording of the audio I'm getting: http://www.mediafire.com/?qrj04lz7c3ok2gz

notice around 1:30 the notes fail to stop sustaining, creating a huge mess.

played it, as I would expect from your maps, it looks good and plays nicely though ammo and health is pretty scarce. I fell for those barrel sprites too :P. The music didn't bother me too much, though I have spent 7 hours at work listening to terrible music played throughout the store I work in....

I just played this WAD and it was fun and creative. I also managed to find the secret, completed the map in 5:58 and also got 100% of kills and items. The only problem was the music that sounded pretty crappy. Was it because I used FMod as the MIDI Device or did you create it that way?

Just played your level today and it's a nice litte map. Not too hard, but also not dull. Nice detailing, looked like classic doom I made for doom II (but more detailed ofcourse). Music goes haywire in zdoom but plays nicely along in pr-boom+ (v2.5.1.3).

Cheers!