Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

How does the horizon trick work?

So I always thought that I know how it works but apparently I don't because I made this, got this as a result (notice the tiny HOM) and I have no idea what I did wrong. Help?

Walls don't go on forever with that function. Try making the wall longer.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. Nvm I guess. I thought you were talking about how the wall looks cut off.

That is because it is textured look at this example I whipped up for you showing that you need to have the texture delete there for it to work. Also you shouldn't really cut-off an area like that you get a paper-thin flimsy look. I've included a method that you can try that will improve the flimsy cutoff look.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h9ic1cful556q10

I think he has something going on a bit differently than what I addressed I'm not sure it would help if memfis posts his wad or at least a copy/paste of the problem area for further inspection. I can really go so far as what I think the problem is from a screen shot.

Edit - I think TimeOfDeath got it good problem solving there buddy =)

I think TimeOfDeath probably nailed it, but posting a wad would be helpful the next time, or at least a 2D screenshot. I can't really see how you did your sectors from that 3D mode shot.

+1 TOD.

I think the best way to think of it is, if you want an uppertex to disappear completely and show the sky the ceiling of the sectors on both sides of the linedef need to be sky. Othewise you get either HOM or a visible texture (but mostly HOM).

Thanks!! It never occured to me that more than one sector might be necessary so I thought that everything should be clear from my screen.

I used to do it the way seen in Episode 1 for Doom, this might be more feasable and will look better.