Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mystery Man in 3D

DOOM, School, & You

My final year in 6th form had so many free periods that I used to bring my laptop in to help pass the time. I played through the entirety of Quake 4 in school and also did some Doom mapping... Although that was one of my many cancelled maps IIRC.

There was one class where we were supposed to be working on powerpoint presentations for our world cultures class, and the teacher gave us 4 class periods to do it, which was a pretty long time frame for us to get it all done, so on the last day, after many of the kids in our class were done, I loaded up skulltag and started playing deathmatch with bots, and some people saw me playing and wanted to try it, so I downloaded it for them and later we successfully had a network game going with like 8 or 9 different classmates. With the time it took to get everyone all loaded up we had about 15 minutes left to play, but it was real fun.

When I was in the Air Force, for four months a few of us went to school full time instead of work and we played Doom Legacy during lunch. Most of the other guys had never played it before. We played through Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Heretic.

The best was multiplayer GTA 2 though. The unbelievably bad network code made it even more entertaining.

During Doom's early days, some friends and I frequented a school which wasn't ours, but we went there because they offered free internet (which was also in its early days). We frequently used the network for a few deathmatch games of Shareware Doom. Good times, until the school decided to actually check for school passes.

These days, I still use Doom for my elective classes at my school. I currently have >25 students in this class. The focus is editing (using Doom Builder 2) but we occasionally play a DM or CTF game.

I seem to incorporate Doom in a number of different school presentations I do. I even included it in a Health Class presentation... More or less about the psychology of video games and real world violence. I really just wanted to show off this picture I found of Harris and Kebold lying in their own blood........

I don't play Doom as much as I used to at school, during classes where we used our laptops (which is most of them) I will slack off and start playing Fallout and other games.In I.T. we will sometimes play a LAN game of quake 3

My freshman year in highschool, 2008, I uploaded a SNES Emulator, Zdaemon, and several custom WADs to the school network. You couldn't walk past the MIT classroom or library without seeing several kids sneakily deathmatching. I felt rather accomplished showing Doom to several people who never even knew about it. Eventually, 2 years later, the school deleted everything on the network and made it rather difficult to play anything anymore :/

On a similar separate note, I used ZDoom as a project reference for freeware with open source code. I got a perfect assignment for writing about ZDoom specifications in comparison to old Vanilla limits :V

Oh yeah, I just remembered another one. There was a project I worked on in college where I made a non-violent children's game using the Zdoom source port:

Sadly I dont have any Doom in school stories :(

Im amazed that your schools had computers powerful enough to play Doom. I live in the UK so maybe at that time our computers we getting old and had not been upgraded.

I was about 12, maybe 13 when Doom was all the talk. Our machines were 286's, possible some being 386's.....cant remember specifics. No CD-ROM, but most people had the shareware version of Doom.

Dont think many people tried as we would not have been allowed anyway and even if we did pull it off, as some say, it draws too much attention and a ban would be bad as we only had two computer rooms :(

The only time I tried to mix Doom and school was in seventh grade. We had a bunch of computers brought into the classroom to teach typing. It was boring as fuck (I still don't use touch typing to this day), so I tried installing Doom on floppy discs... then the discs wouldn't read... then they wouldn't even eject. Yeah, turns out they were Mac computers and didn't recognize the discs I was putting in. I learned at a pretty early age how useless Macs are.

I was punished by having to clean every keyboard in the school.