Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

"Interception: Part II" - A Vanilla-Compatible PC for DOOM II

After you destroy the decoy and jump into the hell portal, you find yourself in a very strange world full of strange new threats. Charging forth against the evils of hell, you encounter even nastier threats that will fill your life with excruciating pain. Hell is attacking with full force, and the demon's are pulling out all the stops! Are you up to the task, hero?

Interception: Part II, the sequel to Interception, is a vanilla-compatible partial-conversion to be run with DOOM2.wad. This megawad will feature the usual 32 levels, split into three episodes, that will take you into the very heart of the hellish invasion. The wad will also feature five new enemies, a new final boss, a new texture pack, and a new OST.

Of course, I can't do all of this alone, so I'm going to call upon the help of the Doomworld community once again to help make my vision come to life.

Episode 1: Maps 1-11: The other side of the portal. At first glance, this environment looks as hellish as usual, except less red, as if Hell has frozen over. Then you realize that things are a bit off as you go along. The only mapping restriction is that you keep it looking like Hell frozen over.

Episode 2: Maps 12-20: The surface of an alien world. The architecture is very strange in this world; it doesn't feel like Earth at all. The mapping restrictions would be to have a nice balance between the outside areas and the shiny techbase areas. Make it look alien to the player.

Episode 3: Maps 21-30: The heart of the invasion. It all comes down to this... The only requirement would be to try and go for a mix between the first two episodes' styles when mapping for this one.

Secret Levels: Maps 31-32: A completely different dimension! One that's even stranger than the one you're currently trapped in. Go all out for this one! NO RESTRICTIONS!

Leave a reply to claim a map slot below!

Map List:
+Strikethrough = Claimed Slot
+Bold = Finished Map

-MAP01 -Matt534Dog + Pottus
-MAP02 -Matt534Dog
-MAP03 -Matt534Dog
-MAP04 -Processingcontrol
-MAP05 -purist
-MAP06 -BloodyAcid
-MAP07 -franckFRAG
-MAP08 -Olympus
-MAP09
-MAP10 -Joseph Lord
-MAP11 -Pottus
-MAP12
-MAP13 -sgt dopey
-MAP14
-MAP15
-MAP16
-MAP17
-MAP18 -cannonball
-MAP19
-MAP20 -Processingcontrol
-MAP21 -dobugabumaru
-MAP22
-MAP23
-MAP24 -Pottus
-MAP25
-MAP26 -Pottus
-MAP27
-MAP28 -Processingcontrol
-MAP29
-MAP30 -Matt534Dog
-MAP31 -Razen
-MAP32 -stewboy

Mappers
-Matt534Dog
-Pottus
-Obsidian (Maybe)
-Razen
-Processingcontrol
-BloodyAcid
-purist
-stewboy
-cannonball
-dobugabumaru
-sgt dopey
-Joseph Lord
-franckFRAG
-Olympus

This project will also feature six new enemies (one of which is the final boss)!

New Monsters:
-Former Human Replacement: UNKNOWN
-Former Sergeant Replacement: UNKNOWN
-Chaingunner Replacement: UNKNOWN
-SS Nazi Replacement: UNKNOWN
-Hell Knight Replacement: UNKNOWN
-Icon of Sin Replacement: UNKNOWN

Any suggestions towards these new enemies will be taken seriously, so don't hesitate to leave any comments you may have!

If you want to be an artist or musician on this project leave a reply below and get your name featured on the list!

Musicians:
-PRIMEVAL
-XenoNemisis

New textures will also be added in a texture pack to fit the new environments. Nothing too serious, just a few textures to set the mood. Feel free to make your own textures, as long as it fits the theme of the episode you're mapping for and the overall Doom look.

Artists:
-Matt534Dog

Leave any and all comments and suggestions below!

Sign me up, MAP Slot - 12, 24, 26 same as last time and possibly another one if it needs filling later!

I like Interception is going ahead with a sequel before the first one has even been officially released but hey it's pretty much finished only waiting for music anyways.

Custom boss, eh? I'm interested. =D Due to this being made in vanilla, it'd be best if the boss uses the projectiles already coded into the Doom engine. So therefore, you'll probably need it made from scratch. I'll see if I can talk to a few people and maybe have a snoop around on Realm667. :-) As for maps, put me down as a "maybe" please.

Sounds like fun, I'm definitely on board. Sign me up for MAP31.

I don't think I'm up for testing this time, unfortunately.

Regarding the enemy replacements, will it just be cosmetic? Or do you plan to add new behavior?

^Nothing too serious. It's mostly going to be cosmetic, with little game changes like fire rate and such. After all, you are in another dimension, so I don't think humans would fit in very well.

Well you can't go wrong with the classic Afrit enemy as a Hell Knight replacement. Lotta wads that used him. I've also always been partial to the Hellions sprite set.

EDIT: Also, I'm tempted to join in on this project, but the last time I had a ton of projects at once was a bit overwhelming, so I'm sticking to the ones I've got.

Matt534Dog said:

^Nothing too serious. It's mostly going to be cosmetic, with little game changes like fire rate and such. After all, you are in another dimension, so I don't think humans would fit in very well.

Ah okay, that's what I was hoping. This way I can jump right into mapping.

Excited to see what comes of this project, the last one was lots of fun to be part of :)

For the speedy development time and quality of maps/game play I had a lot of fun to Razen! Even though most of the stuff I did was at the end of the project but I think I'll be a lot more pro-active through the sequel.

Sign me up for maps 4 and 28.

I'll try to make a small level for that 04 slot this week.

Map28 should be an another epic sized one like the Map28 from Interception I.

^It should be small to medium sized at that point in the wad. Glad to have some new people on board for this one!

I think in tradition of the first Interception Map12 will be aptly named Delta Tower. The big difference from this tower is it will be underground and instead of ascending up the tower you will be descending or going deeper into hell so to speak.

Pottus said:

I think in tradition of the first Interception Map12 will be aptly named Delta Tower. The big difference from this tower is it will be underground and instead of ascending up the tower you will be descending or going deeper into hell so to speak.

Maybe you could call it Delta Catacombs.

Heh, it's just that regular towers go up. You tower won't tower over anything if it's underground now, will it? :P

Can you put me down for MAP05 please Matt? I'd like to make a map per episdoe ideally but I don't want to over-commit myself just yet.

Any idea of what the skies are going to look like Matt? It'll be hard to design my map without knowing.

Also, would it be okay if I made some new textures for my level?

I would be interested in making a level for this, I've played the beta of the first interception and enjoyed in. The Second (Alien) episode is pretty intriguing so would be up for making a map in that episode. Lets go for a latter one to give some scope for size and difficulty. So ummm.... Map18

@Processingcontrol: I'm thinking along the lines of a red, hellish cave sky for the first episode, a green colored sky for the second episode, and a hellish mix of the two for the last episode. Also, feel free to make your own textures, as long as they fit the theme and the overall Doom look.

:O Started the next one already? Will keep a close eye on this. I would have probably volunteered to make a map for this but my mapping skills aren't brilliant.

I'd like to take a go at making MAP21, since I have an idea of what a wild intro to hell could look like... but it'd depend on when everyone starts mapping & the deadline.

I've been playing around with dehacked a bit and found you can use any monsters death frame to the bossbrain death frame and the level will end when you kill the monster which is fairly useful!

Using the KEEN death is even more useful as then the action only occurs when you kill all of that monster type.

Plus, it only changes a sector height so if nothing is tagged 667 it doesn't prevent said monsters being used when the dehacked action is not wanted.

Glad to see megawad that imagines what beyond hell. I think this is the first time we see a megawad like that.
I'm new to this forums but not new to doom modding, I one day had some monster modification ideas (with DeHackEd) that can fit in this megawad. You are about to change the SS Nazi and the Icon of Sin. So what about merging the two (after changing the sprites. I recommend a flying saucer or any other circular concept, due to the fact that SS Nazi have only shooting sprite that is facing the viewer, which makes it unrealistic except for circular designs). Then you could change one of the shooting frames' code pointer with demon spitter's one (this requires the initialization code pointer to be copied as well). Then give this the floating flag and about the health of the cyberdemon and the boss death frame (or the KEEN death frame, which is a better new great idea for me). This will give you a great boss (not sure if fits as a final boss, maybe somewhat easy).
Note about the concept of the wad: I suggest swapping episodes 2 and 3, the alien world is more likely to be the end. Also techbase theme will look earthy except with whole new texture pack (may be recolour some standard textures).

Well a problem with the SS Nazi I was noticing when testing in vanilla was that it wasn't attacking when placed in any map besides 32 so I don't know if the SS Nazi will really be used maybe on MAP32 as a special monster. I'm thinking more along the lines of using the chain gunner since the rapid fire rate would be best suited for making the boss. Maybe someone else has some better ideas I'm still pretty noob when it comes to dehacked.