Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

BFG edition has WAY too much ammo in the levels.

Seriously, I am about 3 or so hours into the game and have like a hundred shotgun shells, 400-500 machine gun rounds, 300-400 plasma rounds, a dozen grenades, and about 200 chaingun rounds. Plus a rocket launcher with 5 rockets.

I heard that Id decided to add some extra ammo into the levels on the bases that there was too little in the original Doom 3, but they have gone WAY overboard.

There is almost zero reason to be careful with your ammo now. I don't even bother trying to find the security codes that unlock the cabinets with the extra weapons and ammo anymore, because there is no point. If I wanted to odds are that I could beat the whole game with just 1 or 2 weapons because there is so much ammo now.

I do admit that this combined with the faster walk speed does make the game a bit more arcadey and more fast paced, but I also think that kind of defeats the whole point of making the player scared because he has to worry about his ammo in the darkness.

Anyone else feels that there is WAY too much ammo in the game now?

Been watching a Let's Play of someone who hasn't played D3 before. He hasn't been getting many locked lockers and he has quite an abundance of ammo already. This is on like Normal difficulty I think. Maybe a bit harder. They definitely should have eased up a bit on ammo.

Yep. I constantly have 550 cells, 350 chaingun bullets, 600 machinegun bullets, 90 rockets and 125 armour. On the other hand, despite having max armour it doesn't seem to do anything in terms of protection. A monster scratching you will take off about 15 health and 2 armour. I'm playing on veteran, much easier with inf ammo!

The armor seems overly abundant, and even then, I'm losing a lot of health if I'm not extremely careful. I end up using most of the health items laying around to get back to max health. I never lost this much health in the original Doom 3. Probably has to do with my more reckless playstyle in BFG, since the game is faster paced, I end up playing it in a style closer to how I play the original games. Of course, the difference there is that in classic Doom, the monsters are weak and slow, whereas here, they're much more competent.

Mr. Chris said:

It's like they made it easier for the console kiddies. :/

I don't think consoles have anything to do with it. There were some parts of Doom 3 where there was actually not really enough ammo. This whole thing strikes me as a nice idea poorly implemented. Instead of just adding small extra bits of ammo here and there they just flooded the the levels with more ammo.

hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think consoles have anything to do with it. There were some parts of Doom 3 where there was actually not really enough ammo. This whole thing strikes me as a nice idea poorly implemented. Instead of just adding small extra bits of ammo here and there they just flooded the the levels with more ammo.

...Still, using the chaingun Rambo-style was pretty cool. You couldn't do that in the original Doom 3.

DooM_RO said:

...Still, using the chaingun Rambo-style was pretty cool. You couldn't do that in the original Doom 3.

Huh? You hold the chaingun in the same way as the original, no weapon animations were changed in BFG.

I might be mistaken, but doesn't Doom 3 allow you to carry unlimited amounts of ammo, at least for certain guns? If there was a cap, there wouldn't really be any such thing as 'too much ammo,' but I always just spammed the chainsaw until I had hundreds of rounds for everything.

More ammo in each level, but with a cap would have been a good medium.

I have BFG edition, but not done too much of it yet, so cant really comment on this.

hardcore_gamer said:

There is almost zero reason to be careful with your ammo now. I don't even bother trying to find the security codes that unlock the cabinets with the extra weapons and ammo anymore, because there is no point.

This is a very good point actually.

One thing I am missing at the moment is no 'Zoom Aim'. I know it was very slight in Doom 3, but I did like the feeling of squinting a little.....if you know what I mean. Now the right mouse button does nothing.....except jump.....which I use spacebar for. - Sorry off topic a tad there :(

Coopersville said:

I might be mistaken, but doesn't Doom 3 allow you to carry unlimited amounts of ammo, at least for certain guns?

No, it was always capped.

I think original Doom3 had too much ammo, to run out of one type of ammo, I need to use one weapon for about the entire level, but then I have all the other weapons with their ammo levels at the max.

And it had too much armor, which only protects 20% in sp. So you'll have to suffer 625 points of damage to lose the 125 points armor, which takes quite a long time.. less if you deliberately allow the enemies to damage you and avoid picking up more armor...

Playing BFG Edition right now, I hardly notice the difference in the amount of ammo. I recognize additional stashes of ammo but the point is that it's not that much different than DOOM 3.

I have played through D3 not too long ago and I've been loaded with ammo all the time, always using the best weapon for a certain situation, never having to resort to other guns. In other words, BFG Edition has more ammo but the original DOOM 3 was already past the point where you'd have to conserve it.

Sodaholic said:

No, it was always capped.

Capped at 999 maybe. I know for a fact that I at least had 200+ shotgun rounds at certain times.

Coopersville said:

Capped at 999 maybe. I know for a fact that I at least had 200+ shotgun rounds at certain times.

You can carry a ridiculous maximum of 320 shotgun shells in vanilla DOOM 3.

And I also felt DOOM 3 had too much ammo already. When I heard that they were going to "tweak the ammo," I was hoping they'd actually tighten it up. But now you're just swimming in the stuff and it basically nullifies having ammo counts at all.

Caffeine Freak said:

Doom 3: BFG Edition --- "Very Happy Ammo Added"

Perhaps that's why they renamed MAP31 to "IDKFA". :P

We have a saying over here in the Netherlands that loosely translates to "it doesn't matter if you give a monkey a golden ring, it will always stay an ugly thing". Thats what I thought of when I saw BFG edition.

I know I'm being overly sarcastic in regards to this, and I'm sure Doom 3 BFG is a pretty good game overall. But was Doom 3 really that bad that it needed such an overhaul? To me, the focus would be better spend towards a fresh product (Doom 4 in this case). Which is much more important to me than a remake of an older game, because if id doesn't make Doom 4 blow away its competition, they are losing even more ground in the FPS game market.

Truth is the only reason BFG Edition exists is DOOM 4. It's not for hardcore fans, it's for all those gamers who have never played DOOM before. Inferior or not, it's solely an introduction of the DOOM franchise to the widest possible market before DOOM 4 is unveiled.

With that said, everytime I hear someone saying that DOOM 4 has to blow away the competition... I'm sorry, that's just not going to happen, simple as that.

Touchdown said:

Truth is the only reason BFG Edition exists is DOOM 4. It's not for hardcore fans, it's for all those gamers who have never played DOOM before. Inferior or not, it's solely an introduction of the DOOM franchise to the widest possible market before DOOM 4 is unveiled.

With that said, everytime I hear someone saying that DOOM 4 has to blow away the competition... I'm sorry, that's just not going to happen, simple as that.

In regards to BFG edition serving as an introduction, I hope it succeeds.

If id doesn't produce at least the best shooter since Quake 2 or 3, then I'm afraid they will suffer the same fate as 3D Realms, where they will only serve as a publisher for other companies and for licensing the Doom franchise to other developers in the same way that 3D Realms does nowadays.

That's a... really bleak and unlikely scenario. Id gets a lot of criticism because everyone expects them to revolutionize gaming like they did years ago but they are still very much financially successful. Plus, they are part of Zenimax. They'd have to completely fail with DOOM 4 / next project to screw up their future like that.

Agentbromsnor said:

We have a saying over here in the Netherlands that loosely translates to "it doesn't matter if you give a monkey a golden ring, it will always stay an ugly thing". Thats what I thought of when I saw BFG edition.

I know I'm being overly sarcastic in regards to this, and I'm sure Doom 3 BFG is a pretty good game overall. But was Doom 3 really that bad that it needed such an overhaul? To me, the focus would be better spend towards a fresh product (Doom 4 in this case). Which is much more important to me than a remake of an older game, because if id doesn't make Doom 4 blow away its competition, they are losing even more ground in the FPS game market.

Well, Doom 4 is what id is focusing entirely on now. Anyways, Doom 3 didn't get much of an overhaul in most areas in the BFG edition. Ammo counts were tweaked, lighting was improved, monster numbers were changed in about half a dozen fights throughout the game, and that's about it, really. I wouldn't really call it an overhaul.