Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Will Microsoft Lock id Software In A Box?

A short blurb, supposedly found in the magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly, spread the rumor that Microsoft is trying to have Doom 3 released on the XBox before it gets released on PCs. The author of the article also pretends that Microsoft is trying to make Quake 4 XBox-exclusive. Anti-Microsoft paranoia? Silly hoax? True fact? You decide.

Bastards! If it's true, it's another good reason to hate microsoft.

Now I have even more reason to hope that the X-Box will prove to be a failure...

(my main reason is simply that I want to imagine the utterly gutted expression that'll appear on Billy boy's face when he learns what a disaster his latest creation is ;) )

Oh, this won't do at all. Gates is going to pay for this *grabs shotgun and runs in direction of Washington at 78 MPH, which is apparently the speed of the Doom Marine*. Hehe, you want Doom, you've got Doom, Microsoft. Now I just need to find a wall to run along, and get even more speed.

This has to be an early April Fools joke. I don't see id alienating 99% of their fans that way. Could X-box even run the thing? And Quake 4 as an exclusive? That'd be completely illogical. Its a hoax. Has to be.

Thank you, Zaldron, for linking it for me.

And also, I have posted about the other news in the editing forum already. Shouldn't I be credited, too? j/k, I don't care about fames. =]

I don't believe they are so much lies as presumptions... I think ID Software wants to get their new game to consoles but I doubt very much that it will be a X-Box only title or an exclusive dedicated game. ID Software has talked about it in the past and they even mentioned a Dreamcast version, but yet again... that's when Dreamcast was on shelves.

We'll see what happens...

Anti-Microsoft paranoia?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

Heh, we have to get Danarchist to personally do something about this...he lives in Washington.

Anyway, I hope this is a total lie, because the XBox is utter shit, as is just about every game made for it. If it had been PS2 or Game Cube, I'd be a bit irked but not as pissed as I'd be if this rumor was true.

I seriously doubt this, in the past Carmack has not been particularly friendly with MS. He releases his old engines under the GPL and has preferred the OpenGL standard over Direct3D. Yeah I know carmack != id, but it still seems pretty unlikely to me that they'd do this. For one thing, id software games generally require several post release patches to iron out any problems, I dunno how easy that is on the XBox, but it seems to me it would make more sense to release on pc first then release on XBox a couple of patches down the line when any major problems that arise have been solved.

Microsoft owns Bungie.

They were able to get Halo released first on X-Box. Bungie is still releasing Halo for Windows and Macintosh. That's the best Microsoft could do with their influence. You know, the influence of owning them.

Microsoft does not own neither id nor Raven. Obviously then, this is yet another reason why Electronic Gaming Monthly is the worst videogame magazine on the planet. I fucking hate them. I cancelled my subscription to them when I was thirteen. You could find videogame content with more substance by watching the Weather Channel.

It's also amusing how angry some fuckers are over this OBVIOUS NUGGET OF BULLSHIT. I mean, Jesus, get a fucking grip on reality. You might as well suggest that Microsoft has coerced Ford to release it's new truck only on the X-Box.

If it had been for PS2, I'd be more pissed. Why? Because then the engine would have to be "dumbed down" to work on it. As crap as the X-Box is, it has more processing power than the PS2.

they did the same with dead or alive 3...just hope they'll port it to ps2 soon...and i think i remember reading somewhere that carmack said doom3 was goin to xbox (after pc)...think it was posted here on doomworld

xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox
FUCK IT DAMM IT

well... how the hell does micro$hit want to bring doom3 onto xbox before pc?
it needs either to steal the code or pay pay pay id software.
well then - whatever happens - if doom3 doesnot get to PC before xbox
we have something to do:

bring it to ps2 first then!

Why did we post this?

This isn't newsworthy, especially given that we already had this discussion in the forums.

This isn't newsworthy

True or false (obviously false), this is a rumor that has been spread by a well-known gaming magazine (even for bad reasons), about the third opus of the game this site is about.
Read the news post again, and tell me where I state it is a true fact?
In my opinion, the DOOM community has the right to know everything that is said (true of false) about Doom 3.
What about the news posts about stupid people accusing Doom to promote murder? Are they newsworthy? Not really. Do we inform the community about that? Yes, because they let people know how dumb other people can be and because it is a direct attack to the community.
Now, we know how unprofessional and dumb a gaming magazine can be.

especially given that we already had this discussion in the forums

Do you really believe that the forums users are the majority of the readers that come here? I personaly doubt it.

Something more: I'd like to say that if you disagree with this, you can delete the news post (I wouldn't be vexed or anything), or better, post news more than once a month (that is each time a new ZDoom beta is out).

In my opinion, rumor-mongering should not be given any position of prominence on the front of the page.

But since as you say, I do practically nothing for Doomworld any longer, you can safely disregard my opinion.

Will Microsoft Lock id Software In A Box?

GOD I SURE HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!

And about Carmack favoring OpenGL over Direct3D, that has to be the only thing he's on my "hate-list" for.

number 1: this is only a rumour. a RUMOUR. any sort of rumour should be entirely disregarded- only hard facts are acceptable. do not take it seriously. you people who are like "O NO~!!!1 MIKROSFOT WIL MONOPILYS TEH DOOM ADN QAUK!!!1 ELTS GO KIL MISTAR GAYTS!!!!!!!11" need to shut up and think about what you're saying. deadnail = 666% correct- get a grip.

number 2: i am absolutely sick and tired of microsoft bashing. yes, they're guilty of monopolizing. yes, many of their products are crap (anything version of windows after windows 98 = utter shit). yes, the x-box is currently a weak system. HOWEVER: x-box is getting better and better every time i look at it. for instance: the complete version of metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty is being released for x-box. it would have been complete on the ps2 but konami rushed it because it was the chinese year of the snake and therefore it HAD to be released in 2001 (lame). this will include an added scenario with snake throughout the plant chapter. which is good, i haven't met anybody who likes that girlyboy raiden, except for the bishonen-loving girls who often hate video games, thus nothing they say is valid. and yes, he's girly. he gets groped by the president, for crying out loud. silent hill 2 alone wasn't enough to make me want an x-box- but metal gear is my weakness (it's my favorite game series, beating out even doom- konami are GODS)

number 3: SHUT UP

who let bill gates out, who, woof, who who who let bill gates out

hey don't be lookin at me like that now, I see ya.

As far as I can tell, no-one here believes this to be true. Personally, I was speaking hypothetically.

I have to agree that this is obiviously false. Anyone with even a bad sense of logic would guess that this would be the doom of Id software. (pun intended.)

Beside, who cares about those magasines? You get everything on the net, and a lot faster.

These "Doom 3 on PS2" advocates are just plain wrong. Some PS2 specs:

CPU speed: 294.912 MHz
Memory: 32 MB
Graphics: 4 MB card

Not even Quake 3 would run well on that System :(

... or better, post news more than once a month (that is each time a new ZDoom beta is out).

so is (was) with speedmapping.
If yu do not post something, people will not investigate themselves. Mostly
not.
Once we had DWSPD, one week after about like this:
"sorry we forgot announcing speedmapping, there were only 2 entries this
week"

---
Write Carmack a thousands mails not to help Microsoft in any way, better,
make life hard for Gates.

NiGHTMARE: not quite that what you are thinking... despite the somewhat measly hardware the PS2 sports, it's very optimized, starting with the processor (RISC design is structurally faster than CISC at the same clock speeds AFAIK).

There is a PS2 version of Q3A (which BTW runs at 60fps constant IIRC), and if this console manages to do something as visually astonishing as Gran Turismo 3, then it can do whatever the XBox can. It just takes time and getting used to the hardware, and this is common-place for consoles - they get better each day.