Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Springy

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. trailer released.

So developer's Frictional Games have decided to make a new Amnesia game. Here is a link too the trailer if you haven't seen it already. http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/31/amnesia-a-machine-for-pigs-trailer-released-dev-wants-to-hear-you-scream/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0 it was mentioned a few months back that the sequel is in development. What did you like about the first and what do you hope they improve?

While I get what they're going for with the title, it sounds dumb. I hope that changes. otherwise it looks pretty cool. I still haven't played any of the other Penumbra games or Amnesia: The Dark Descent yet though :C

If, like me, you inched your way through the terrible tunnels of Amnesia at the slowest possible pace, drinking in the back-story with every note and finding, then you'll permit my posting here an excerpt from a possible source of inspiration...:

“They had chains which they fastened about the leg of the nearest hog, and the other end of the chain they hooked into one of the rings upon the wheel. So, as the wheel turned, a hog was suddenly jerked off his feet and borne aloft. At the same instant the ear was assailed by a most terrifying shriek; the visitors started in alarm, the women turned pale and shrank back. The shriek was followed by another, louder and yet more agonizing--for once started upon that journey, the hog never came back; at the top of the wheel he was shunted off upon a trolley and went sailing down the room. And meantime another was swung up, and then another, and another, until there was a double line of them, each dangling by a foot and kicking in frenzy--and squealing. The uproar was appalling, perilous to the ear-drums; one feared there was too much sound for the room to hold--that the walls must give way or the ceiling crack. There were high squeals and low squeals, grunts, and wails of agony; there would come a momentary lull, and then a fresh outburst, louder than ever, surging up to a deafening climax. It was too much for some of the visitors--the men would look at each other, laughing nervously, and the women would stand with hands clenched, and the blood rushing to their faces, and the tears starting in their eyes. Meantime, heedless of all these things, the men upon the floor were going about their work. Neither squeals of hogs nor tears of visitors made any difference to them; one by one they hooked up the hogs, and one by one with a swift stroke they slit their throats. There was a long line of hogs, with squeals and life-blood ebbing away together; until at last each started again, and vanished with a splash into a huge vat of boiling water. It was all so very businesslike that one watched it fascinated. It was pork-making by machinery, pork-making by applied mathematics. And yet somehow the most matter-of-fact person could not help thinking of the hogs; they were so innocent, they came so very trustingly; and they were so very human in their protests--and so perfectly within their rights! They had done nothing to deserve it; and it was adding insult to injury, as the thing was done here, swinging them up in this cold-blooded, impersonal way, without a pretence at apology, without the homage of a tear. Now and then a visitor wept, to be sure; but this slaughtering-machine ran on, visitors or no visitors. It was like some horrible crime committed in a dungeon, all unseen and unheeded, buried out of sight and of memory.”

-- Upton Sinclair, The Jungle

Yikes.

I played the part of Snowball in a production of Animal Farm not too long before finishing my schooling, and since then I've drawn a connotation with pigs and politics, fear, and parody. They frighten me, and I've absolutely no doubt that if the production quality of the game is similar to that of Dark Descent, then I'll be squealing and running for the hills with the rest of them.

The sound is what impressed me most about the game, as well as the ability to successfully redirect the player's attention toward intricate puzzles or pieces of back-story even when most frightened. Sometimes, of course -- and if you really were immersed -- the back-story only added to the fear in being relevant to your condition, or the horrors you face, rather than serving as a temporary escape.

All this and more, I hope...

But pigs... Good grief I don't know if I'll be able to stomach it. "There's something about that shriek."

Continuing the exclamation mark trend!

But really, this sounds great. I was very fond of the first game.

Oh boy, I can't wait for another game where I wander around endless boring scenery and get ambushed by "spooky" monsters! GOTYAY

Mr. Freeze said:

Oh boy, I can't wait for another game where I wander around endless boring scenery and get ambushed by "spooky" monsters! GOTYAY

I admit in some places it wasn't really scary (but some parts really did make me jump). I found it more atmospheric and unique in the sense of trying to keep the player's sanity up which I thought was a neat take on the horror genre and the choice of setting I thought was good as it broke away from the stereotypical horror setting.

Mr. Freeze said:

You seem to have confused this game with Doom 3.