Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djvero

Copying Textures

OK, I've got a question which I'd really appreciate to get some help with.

I've downloaded the community chest 4 texture pack (from this site), which is quite a big file. The first thing I need to know: Is it "legal" to use in my WADs? Coz there are some textures which I'd really like to use in my own WADs as well, but I've come across things/WADs/packs whatever where it's not always legal to just grab the stuff you want.

If not, if it's not legal to use, then this second question doesn't even apply anyway. As I don't want to use all of the textures (since it's quite a big file to say the least), I'd like to know how to "cut out" the textures that I do want for my own WADs, but how do I go about that? Or is that not even possible?
I'm using Slade usually, but I'm quite a newbie to this kind of stuff, so any (BASIC!!) help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance of course!

I'm pretty sure your safe using anything in CC4, most of the textures in there are just compiled from other texture packs anyways.

The CC4 texture pack is freely usable for any project. In fact, quite a few have used it already.

Or at least, nobody in the community will complain. There are a few textures taken from other games such as Dark Forces (the credits list companies Raven Software (Heretic, Hexen...), Rogue (Strife), 3D Realms (Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior...), and LucasArts (Dark Forces, Outlaws...) so there are textures from these games; but I haven't checked if there's a full, detailed list of which texture came from where).

Holy shit Gez you must have pressed post literally a second after me I saw both reply's on the update lol!

Alright! Thanks so far. But how do I select some of these textures as I don't want to use all of them?

In SLADE 3, open your mod and the IWAD that you are modding for. (So, if you're making a Doom II level, open doom2.wad.) Copy the PNAMES, TEXTURE1, and (if it exists) TEXTURE2 lumps from the IWAD to your mod.

Select the tab with your mod, and click on the "Texture editor" button in the toolbar (it's a blue T next to a green M). This will create a new tab with the texture editor for your mod, subdivided into smaller tabs for TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2 (if it exists) and PNAMES. You can ignore PNAMES for the moment.

Open the CC4 texture pack. Click on the texture editor again. You now have two texture editor tabs, one for your mod and one for CC4.

Browse through CC4's texture. When you see one you want to use, copy it (select it and right-click copy, or Ctrl-C). Then you can paste it in the texture editor for your mod (go to the end, then right-click paste, or Ctrl-V).

Once you've finished adding all the textures you like, go to the PNAMES tab on your mod's texture editor. Scroll towards the end, and see all the patches that come from CC4 instead of Doom2.wad.

In the archive (not texture editor) tab for CC4, look for these patches. Select them, and copy them (right-click copy, or Ctrl-C). In the archive (not texture editor) tab for your mod, paste them. To make things more cleanly, create a P_START and a P_END lumps (using the "New Entry" button on the toolbar), and paste all your patches between them.

If you want to copy flats too, it's a bit simpler. Create an F_START and an F_END lumps. Copy the flats you like from the archive tab of CC4 to the archive tab of your mod, between F_START and F_END.

Make sure that none of the lumps you have added (created or copied) are inserted in between map lumps. A map start with a header (like MAP01 or E1M1) and ends with the BLOCKMAP lump in Doom format, the BEHAVIOR or SCRIPTS lump in Hexen format, and the ENDMAP lump in UDMF.

Also make sure none of them are placed in the wrong namespace, for example between S_START and S_END markers.

OK, nvm. This stuff is too complicated for me...Came to like step 4 from your list and tried different setups for like an hour, but I can't get it to work.

Thanks anyway though. I appreciate your effort

Since most people already have the texture pack they could always just load it behind your map and use it that way without adding to the bulk of your map.

You just add a statement in your text that "this map requires cc4 textures to run properly".

A lot of maps require separate texture packs. It is not a big deal.

Or have someone help you import the textures when you are done. Most people will help if you just give them props in the credits.

Searcher said:

Since most people already have the texture pack they could always just load it behind your map and use it that way without adding to the bulk of your map.

But it's a pain in the ass always having to open a launcher and go through a bunch of folders to find the texture pack whenever you want to play the wad.

It is not a big deal.

erm, yes it is...

Searcher said:

You just add a statement in your text that "this map requires cc4 textures to run properly".

A lot of maps require separate texture packs. It is not a big deal.

Or have someone help you import the textures when you are done. Most people will help if you just give them props in the credits.

People always say this so I tried with Temple Of Verdance and that didn't go over so well for most people.

Don't do what searcher suggests.

Processingcontrol said:

But it's a pain in the ass always having to open a launcher and go through a bunch of folders to find the texture pack whenever you want to play the wad.

You could place a gameinfo.txt file int the zip (and copied as a GAMEINFO lump in the wad itself) so that people playing with ZDoom would have the texture pack loaded automatically.

Processingcontrol said:

Then don't use the launcher, make a *.bat file and edit it every time you want to play instead. No need to go through a bunch of folders, just write "prboom-plus -file rlmchaos rlmsprt" and that's it.

Hmm, although I'm not sure if prboom-plus can load wads from other folders (I have all wads in its folder).

Processingcontrol said:

But not everybody plays with ZDoom.

Sure, but I don't know of a similar mechanism working on embedded files for other ports. Eternity has game file scripts but they cannot be embedded in the wad.

Thanks for the help guys! Even though I can't get it to work...
I'll just do without the CC4 texture pack.

If making your map dependent on a texture wad looks like becoming an issue, you should consider Searcher's other suggestion...

"Or have someone help you import the textures when you are done. Most people will help if you just give them props in the credits."

I'm available if you decide to go that way.

Gez said:

In SLADE 3, open your mod and the IWAD that you are modding for. (So, if you're making a Doom II level, open doom2.wad.) Copy the PNAMES, TEXTURE1, and (if it exists) TEXTURE2 lumps from the IWAD to your mod.

Select the tab with your mod, and click on the "Texture editor" button in the toolbar (it's a blue T next to a green M). This will create a new tab with the texture editor for your mod, subdivided into smaller tabs for TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2 (if it exists) and PNAMES. You can ignore PNAMES for the moment.

Open the CC4 texture pack. Click on the texture editor again. You now have two texture editor tabs, one for your mod and one for CC4.

Browse through CC4's texture. When you see one you want to use, copy it (select it and right-click copy, or Ctrl-C). Then you can paste it in the texture editor for your mod (go to the end, then right-click paste, or Ctrl-V).

Once you've finished adding all the textures you like, go to the PNAMES tab on your mod's texture editor. Scroll towards the end, and see all the patches that come from CC4 instead of Doom2.wad.

In the archive (not texture editor) tab for CC4, look for these patches. Select them, and copy them (right-click copy, or Ctrl-C). In the archive (not texture editor) tab for your mod, paste them. To make things more cleanly, create a P_START and a P_END lumps (using the "New Entry" button on the toolbar), and paste all your patches between them.

If you want to copy flats too, it's a bit simpler. Create an F_START and an F_END lumps. Copy the flats you like from the archive tab of CC4 to the archive tab of your mod, between F_START and F_END.

Make sure that none of the lumps you have added (created or copied) are inserted in between map lumps. A map start with a header (like MAP01 or E1M1) and ends with the BLOCKMAP lump in Doom format, the BEHAVIOR or SCRIPTS lump in Hexen format, and the ENDMAP lump in UDMF.

Also make sure none of them are placed in the wrong namespace, for example between S_START and S_END markers.

OK, I'll post the "problems" I've come across following your steps:

Step 1 = I've done this, but when I search for the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps in my mod, it's already there???? Only the size of these two lumps in my mod is a bit bigger...

Step 2 = Done this as well, except it opens not one tab for TEXTURE1, but several (5) tabs and 1 for TEXTURE2

Step 3 = This step seems to be alright according to your explanation.

Step 4 = The problem here is what do you mean by "go to the end"? And which one of the 5 do I need to copy-paste in ??

Step 5 = I've tested this step with the MIDRAIL2 texture, just to try it out and this seems to be fine because I found the texture on the bottom, but there's a whole lot of other textures as well??

Step 6 = I don't get the second half of this step...

Now, when I go to Doom Builder again and look for the MIDRAIL2 texture it's not there. However, when I go to Flats it's there, except the actual texture is not visible and instead I see a red cross.
[Edit] In 3d mode the texture is all black, but then when I playtest the map I am able to see the new texture. Weird

GreyGhost said:

If making your map dependent on a texture wad looks like becoming an issue, you should consider Searcher's other suggestion...
I'm available if you decide to go that way.

Thanks for the offer, but it's not like it's an issue. It's just that I want a little extra for my mods. Besides, I don't want to bother you (or anyone else) with my "problems" this way.

Alright, I think I'm gonna fix this in a different way because I've found a solution that does work (so far).

I've created a whole new WAD in Slade in which I've imported the MIDRAIL2 texture; also following the steps from Gez (such as opening the texture editor for both CC4 and this new WAD or creating PP_START and PP_END lumps etc)

I've tested this in DB and now I do see the image of this texture, both in 3d-mode and regular mode.

Then after I'm finished (selecting textures and stuff) I'm just gonna import this whole new WAD into my mod, the same way I did with the Gothic wad (from Realm667) for example.

I hope this is gonna work!!

djvero said:

OK, I'll post the "problems" I've come across following your steps:

Step 1 = I've done this, but when I search for the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps in my mod, it's already there???? Only the size of these two lumps in my mod is a bit bigger...

Well, I assumed you didn't have textures already since you said you didn't know how to add textures. :)

If you already have the texture lumps from the Gothic texture pack, then instead of copying those from doom2.wad, you can use the existing ones.

The gist is that TEXTURE1 (and, if it exists, TEXTURE2) hold the texture definitions themselves. PNAMES hold the list of all acknowledge patches. You use patches to make textures.

The idea is to copy/paste texture definitions from one WAD to another. SLADE will automatically add more patches to PNAMES if this is needed when pasting a texture.

So if you scroll to the end of the PNAMES lump in the texture editor, you'll see the patches that have been added the most recently.

Most patches come from doom2.wad and you can rely on them being available. However, some new textures may contain new patches. The patches themselves will not have been copied along with the texture definition, so you have to take note of which patches do not come from either doom2.wad or your own mod, so that you can copy them. That's why SLADE 3 has an "in archive" column that will tell you where each patch comes from.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although I would've never figured that out myself. :)

Anyway, I've got what I want now thanks to your step-by-step list, which really helped me out a lot.
2 minor problems:
- The switches textures don't work (SW1GOTH / SW1MEGA). They don't do their 'switches-thing'.
- The PLANET1 and PLANET2 textures seem to be too big or something because I can't copy them into the texture editor for my mod

Everything else works fine as I said.