Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Which maps in the original Doom games do you consider to be filler/padding?

E2M3, this map is nothing more then a few square rooms connected together to form some sort of a map with random monster placement and a boring layout.

E2M3 is flat and mostly square rooms, but still more interesting architecture than MAP31-32. Plus the fight in the first room on the right is pretty fun from pistol start (grab berserk pack and go at it Tyson style!)

Catacombs, bloodfalls and abandoned mines, have nothing special in them. E4 maps are really similiar to each other, only e4m2 and that late one with fortress and one teleporter to four places were something special. E4m9 is the worst secret level in IWADs IMHO. I also remember e1 levels that are just another techbases with nothing new, e2 levels that are just randomly textured instead of having mixed themes and e3 levels with little hellish feel, but I play doom 1 too rarely to point the exact ones.

Scypek2 said:

I also remember e1 levels that are just another techbases with nothing new

What do you mean nothing new? They were the first levels!

hardcore_gamer said:

What are the best... ...Plutonia levels?

All 32 of them. I'm not even kidding, I don't consider any one map in Plutonia to be filler. They're so well-balanced, perfectly paced, challenging and good-looking.

I really ca't see any of the maps being filler per-say. Each map has something to it. Though if it's any consellation, I don't like E1M6. It felt, bland, and could've been something more exciting. It fit thematically, of course, but was still, meh... (I might have the number wrong btw. I'm trying to think of the one with the ass loads of nukage and dark halls and the one with that huge ass room with the red key and all the monsters out of the wall, ah shit I'm not good at this)

That's the right one (E1M6 - Central Processing), with the RK and chaingun at the far side of a huge computer room. That battle was pretty awesome back when the game was new. The map also has a bunch of cool secrets, the nifty maze full of imps, and another smaller computer room after the YK door, with an even harder fight.

I think E1M6 is the E1 level I play the least (actually, it's really E1M9, so let's not count secret levels), but I really can't pin down anything wrong with it. I just don't enjoy it as much as the others for some reason. Not that fond of E1M4 either.

The current E1M6 design is great compared to what it was like in the alphas. Romero really salvaged the good parts of that map by cutting all the pointless crap that wrecked its pacing. (I do wonder if its original layout didn't inspire MAP11, though.)

I dont dislike any of the vanilla maps. In fact, theyre my favourite part of Doom!

But sure, some of them are less interesting than others. E1M9 comes to mind. E2M4 doesnt really bring any joy to my heart. Other than that, I´m pleased with most. I will concede to Nirvana, maybe it is just crap...

I love most of E4. E4M2, E4M3, E4M6 and E4M7 are all great maps.

In Doom 2, I have no gripes. If I had to pick something - and that something wasn't Nirvana, it'd be either Factory or Monster Condo. But i kinda like those too..