Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

HYMN: A Heretic Community Project!

Cacowad said:

EDIT: fixed version, now even lesser skill levels may work, fixed a couple of misaligned textures and the various game-breaking "leap of faith". now it should work.

Yeah, I actually thought I was suppose to jump out that window door you've removed in the fixed version and wondered why I was exiting the map with half the bad guys left and not having picked up any keys.

That said, how’s about some teleporter pads for the spots the bad guys teleport into in the central area?

Certainly, I think the start is the hardest part; I also spent a while running around before noticing the cross bow up the steps. Maybe put it on a lit up pedestal?

The central area is also very reliant on you firing a shot to wake up the bad guys in the teleporter pens; something that some may not do unless they have to. Hence maybe have the central mosaic area surrounded by doors that open when you shoot a switch, to force the player to fire that shot?

Vermil said:

Yeah, I actually thought I was suppose to jump out that window door you've removed in the fixed version and wondered why I was exiting the map with half the bad guys left and not having picked up any keys.

well, i noticed that after i upload it, i keep uploading things after midnight, and that is what appen :S

That said, how’s about some teleporter pads for the spots the bad guys teleport into in the central area?

the teleporting guys are activated by the quartz flask, part of this map is around on avoid certain traps, i'm thinking on it.

Certainly, I think the start is the hardest part; I also spent a while running around before noticing the cross bow up the steps. Maybe put it on a lit up pedestal?

yes the crossbow is a bit... hidden, in my original thought even the crossbow was supposed to activate some kind of trap, then i noticed that there was already too way monsters to make it appen, it will be surely (almost) moved down.

The central area is also very reliant on you firing a shot to wake up the bad guys in the teleporter pens; something that some may not do unless they have to. Hence maybe have the central mosaic area surrounded by doors that open when you shoot a switch, to force the player to fire that shot?

you are really able to do the entire map without shooting a single wand gem? darn, i didn't thought it could be done only by infigthing.
also the sector that wake up the baddies isn't in the mosaic area, is much later, but maybe i can use your suggestion...

thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: ahhaah, just speedrunned into it with 2 kills out of 211, in 2:48 minutes and without firing a single shot, eventually no one of the teleport trap worked, dunno if i am going to change something, it was quite funny.

Count me in - I'm ready to get my Elf on. ;)

As for Hpack, many of the levels are mine, and trust me when I say the mod as a whole is just sitting there like 85, 90% done. A few levels needs finalizing and I'm going to pull one or two maps of my own that I've barely started and complete other people's levels if necessary lol!!!!

But back to this, just ONE map I can do relatively quickly - it will also serve as practice for a NEW project that's way more advanced and shall we say has been on people's wishlists for some time now.

It's December. 4 more months left until the April 1st deadline! Progress roll-call, screenshots? level links? Post em if ya got em!

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/F.png

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/J.png

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/H.png

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/K.png

Cacowad: I tried you level. Its looks really cool. Its a slaughter map, which may be an understatement. The monster count was at 372 I believe. While I (mostly) didn't die right away, I found it impossibly unplayable. Can YOU beat this level, without cheats? I found that the monster count was obnoxious even for a slaughter map, meaning I was pinned in regularly, and with Heretic weapons there wasn't much hope of blasting a way out. What I am trying to say is that it was way too hard for me, and I would recommend 1/2ing the monster count. Perhaps I am being a baby. I am curious what that rest of the folks here think about this level.

If there are going to be so many map submissions, you might as well just turn this project into a megawad instead in my opinion. For a single episode deal you may have to be more strict on the deadline.

Egregor: oh, well, maybe i can beat it without cheats just becouse i am it' creator... also i find it pretty easy after the start (lie!).

anyway, my map is a greed-bashing map: you collect more items? more monsters are teleported in.

i am considering vermil idea of making traps more "obvious" to locate and to avoid (like putting teleporting pads here and there).

also the 8 time bombs are really important for the first part of the map, just becouse you have only the wand. i am considering to make an zdoom fda of it, just for fun., im also curious of what other players think about it, in wich skill level you tried it?

regarding the screenshots, they looks cool, good usage of flags.

Impboy4: better not be too ambitious, if there will be enougth submissions another one episode replacement could be done, if there aren't the last thing i (and maybe also the others) want is to finish like the previous heretic community chest, it took really a lot of time and it wasn't a total episode replacement as originally planned.

also regarding this, if my map will pass the quality test, i will be glad to donate it to blasfemer. (oh well, sodaholic got banned for posting odd things, someone have an idea if it will eventually stop the project?)

Impboy4 said:

If there are going to be so many map submissions, you might as well just turn this project into a megawad instead in my opinion. For a single episode deal you may have to be more strict on the deadline.

We will cross that bridge if we ACTUALLY get that many submissions. I thought April 1st is a bit far away, but everyone has different habits, and I don't want to discourage busy/slow/late coming mappers.

Also I have an announcement: HYMN will be donating all its maps submissions to the Blasphemer project. More information about it at the first post. In a way this project WILL be contributing to a megawad, so I guess it works out.

Eregore: lesser fixes done to the map, still forgotten to remove the "secret" flag from a couple of sectors... http://www.mediafire.com/?92d6bzpppx3izap

anyway, inside the wad there is a fda recorded today with zdoom 2.6.1, textures not included. i used zdl for the input. it is a pretty long session, and i am a total noob while playing this, i could have done better (and faster)...

Due to the April deadline, I'm not gonna work on my map until after New Years Eve. Mostly because I'm going away on vacation.

I have been wondering, is April just too far away for a deadline? Maybe a March deadline is more in order? Does anybody have an opinion on this?

no, i think april is a good deadline, quite no one playtester showed up here, and i think that every map need almost one. also more time, more chance to get new submissions.

personally i had another map idea, but i will not submit anithyng yet. i need to tune up my map and maybe get some feedback on it before putting another one on the desk.
since i started mapping seriusly only by september of this year i need some heavy criticism to improve myself as mapper; even if my map get scrapped i will learn something at least.

Since there is a lot of trouble with examens in the moment and until February, I won't be able to start mapping before. So I doubt I will find the time to create something worth this project, unfortunately. So best thing would be to take me out of the list. If, however, I should be able to come up with a whole map ind february/april, I will post it here. If the project is already done then, I will give it over to blasphemer.

Hi there!

I was just invited to participate in this project and I was enthusiastic about it because some time ago I started making my first heretic map and this project is a good motivation to finish it.

I would have posted screenshots of what I have so far but it's just a single room and judging by the quality of other maps I omitted it. At least there is a lot of time to improve based on it.

Hope I can find some time soon to continue. And a new texture pack will be great and I will look at it, since Heretic has less cool textures than Doom.

Springy said:

What maps are available? I think that now I have time I may map, this is vanilla format correct?

Like the original post states, the project host, myself, will choose which maps are to be included, and in which order they appear. If there are enough submissions a second episode will be created. All maps, regardless of whither or not they are chosen for HYMN will be given to the Blasphemer project, unless otherwise stated by the maps creator. Vanilla and limit extended vanilla are both accepted. I'll add you to the roster Springy. Thanks!

Not sure why, but browsing through the textures seem to crash WadAuthor, but only when the texture pack is loaded, heh. Guess I should stop using it one of these days.

DooMAD said:

Not sure why, but browsing through the textures seem to crash WadAuthor, but only when the texture pack is loaded, heh. Guess I should stop using it one of these days.

Yes, this does seem to be a reoccurring problem. Make sure you are using v3 of the texture pack. If it is still crashing, I recommend using Doom Builder 2 http://www.doombuilder.com/. This seems to resolve any compatibility problems with the current texture pack.

Never really done any Heretic mapping before, but currently playing around in the editor. May contribute if it turns out to be half decent. But it's also equally possible I'll revert back into a vegetative, non-mapping state and never finish anything.

Hey, Just to let you know guys that I'm still working on my map, it seems I am the slowest mapper around here :P

DoomMAD: That's looking awesome!

Gez said:

Using the fence gate texture in the window is a bit odd, but otherwise it works.

Yeah, wasn't too sure about that. Tried the ADEL_N26 texture from the texture pack, but it didn't quite seem to fit the shape of the window. Perhaps with some offset tweaking it might work better.

Thought I could mix and match with CGFENC01, but the bars are different. :/

My word DooMAD, that is amazing work so far! Out of the year or so I have been practicing mapping I have never been able to get skies to work properly, by that I mean getting towers to look like towers all the skies I create get the walls up to the same height and I could never get a tower to look like it is above the rest of the walls. Many people have managed it but I have never mastered it.

Got a gradual momentum going. Trying not to go overboard with the lava usage. Here's some sort of teleporter thingy at the start, but still very much a work in progress.