Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soulcrusher 1.3 (Now a cacowards runner-up!)

Xaser said:

Why can't you get the DECORATE code from the wad he just posted?

Take it easy Xaser, I've sent him the code in a PM and he fixed it perfectly. He was just being polite ;)

hmmm, I downloaded both files then tried to run it with gzdoom and got this;

ERROR: THINGS not found in MAP01

walligig said:

hmmm, I downloaded both files then tried to run it with gzdoom and got this;

ERROR: THINGS not found in MAP01

Very strange, it works fine for everyone else including me. Try redownloading it, at least the 2a.

I got it working, I think it was something with me trying to jump to map01 using ZDL. I told it to go to titlescreen instead and everything worked fine. I didn't much but so far its really fun. I can't wait to play more later.

Main post was updated with a little FAQ explaining the mod's history, one major plothole everybody will spot and possibly the future. Enjoy reading it.

Said already in ZDoom forums: It's awesome.

Few minor bugs:
In Outer City, there's a lift that can be only activated once from four sides. It's that watch tower in north corner.
Also, when you get into next map from Outer City, into the Malice PD HQ, the main door opens only once. After that, you gotta noclip through it.
You should double-check if the correct doors and lifts are put into "Repeatable action." :)

Plus, there are some places that doesn't have texture, showing HOM effects. But they're places where player rarely goes to, or drops to.

CorSair said:

Said already in ZDoom forums: It's awesome.

Few minor bugs:
In Outer City, there's a lift that can be only activated once from four sides. It's that watch tower in north corner.
Also, when you get into next map from Outer City, into the Malice PD HQ, the main door opens only once. After that, you gotta noclip through it.
You should double-check if the correct doors and lifts are put into "Repeatable action." :)

Plus, there are some places that doesn't have texture, showing HOM effects. But they're places where player rarely goes to, or drops to.

Alright, keep playing it to the end, be aware that I won't be able to fix these for a while, as i'll be changing hard drives in my PC and thus reinstall stuff, that will take a while. Plus i'm on a break right now but posts like these will remind me what to do.

This is actually one of the most unique projects kicking around the se forums at the moment.

Having played through it, it is really worth a look even if it is not your usual 'thing'.

Really enjoyed this, and it is obvious that this has had so much work put into it.

The plasma shotgun weapon is pretty awesome too!

Whoa, now that's something! I'm on level 5 now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, reminds me a lot about Harmony plus Star Wars. Outstanding work, dude! I also like the music very much, awesome stuff.
Dammit, I'd like to see more of something like this when it comes to gzdoom projects, that's just how it should be.

Things took faster than I thought and the 1.1 is out
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tbfjdoufj1a80e/SCMain.wad

Changelog:
- The secret gun no longer breaks boss's health bars, neither breaks the STATK boss.
- You no longer can jump out of the map on STATK
- A lot of HOMs
- Made the slot 7 gun stronger.
- One of final boss's attacks were bugged due strange default behavior of A_LOOKEX
And a lot more.

Things to come in 1.2:
- Dialogue boxes replacing current way the cutscenes are done.
- Spellchecking of the entire story.

Additional note for those who say Soulcrusher should have all-around custom graphics:
There's nothing I can do about it period, Nmn left the doom community long time ago, I asked for help of likes like
Eriance and other zdoom artists but unfortunately got no help. So could you kindly deal with it?

The new and final update is out, spellchecking wasn't done, some intended features could'nt make it in due time constraints.

This is a minor update that is intended to make this wad ready for /newstuff reviewing or cacowards (it got nominated). What is fixed:

- The shops work properly now and you can't activate two of them in a row.
- Other minor bugs

What is new:

- Some of the old story text was brought back in form of dynamic messages

Aaaand with this update, i'm calling it quits with doom modding, for an unknown amount of time to come, i'm busy with college, life and so on.

Same DL link as in previous post (I just updated the file)
Coming to /idgames soon.

Just here to declare that this mod isn't as cacowards-ready as I thought, infact one reviewer on /idgames called Zalewa (I know him) gave it a 2/5 but explained why and even played it through on youtube to show me what did I screw up. Honestly, it did hit me. How crap the level 7 and 8 are in comparison to even already a bit rush-smelling copy paste 5/6.

So long story short, i'm preparing a new update, chances are, level 7 and 8 are gonna be overhauled, if that happens, I won't put out the update UNTIL the levels are good to go and are decent. I have time until late december so I may make it :). I'm doing it to do the mod's potential justice and for the fans who liked it but were dissapointed with certain aspects that were a result of rather unfortunate string of events during it's early development.

Great mod! Really enjoyed it, caught only few underworked details - shortage of secrets, final level's slaughter style mapping(goes in contrast with careful placement in previous maps) and small signle-player campaign (still is very solid keeping in mind that you did it almost by yourself). Nevertheless it's breathtaking because of it's style.
There was a shooter exclusively for "Playstation One" called "Hybrid". It had similar cyber/bio-punk visuals and musical themes. Level design was also similar (although more simplistic and limited due to hardware) - large maps with lots of backtracking and multiple pathways, but only 10 stages in total. It was mediocre but the style redeemed it all. Bright yet grim graphics set neatly the whole tone of this game. I could never find something similar in this regard, but you, sir, made it possible.
Too bad my gozzo freezes to death on the last boss :D
Still hoping to see those lost levels and possibly a sequel, even if you think it won't bring any new features to the table.

Sergeek said:

I could never find something similar in this regard, but you, sir, made it possible.
Too bad my gozzo freezes to death on the last boss :D
Still hoping to see those lost levels and possibly a sequel, even if you think it won't bring any new features to the table.

Great to see you've enjoyed it, it went through lots of development hell issues but it did come out. As for lost levels, there are some that didn't get finished because of lack of motivation or some that were planned. I might make a mini-episode out of them someday, maybe after the current project i'm working on. Although I have no clue how the final boss freezes your gzdoom, but here's the ending incase you can't really beat it legit due some random issue nobody ever reported:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRipfVvBrs&t=4m44s (Warning: ENDING SPOILERS)

As for sequel, while a sequel's definitely not coming, at least not any time soon because there's not enough resources for me to put in that won't be repeated (unless nobody would mind a Doom 2 style sequel, except without rehashed bosses), there is something in that vein coming sometime this year, not a sequel, but something related to Soulcrusher in a meaningful way, stay tuned on that one. Also another condition for a sequel to happen, would be Nmn's involvement in the music department, his work is one of Soulcrusher's core things.

Must play through this again.

Coolness all round.

Still love the shotty.

ETPC said:

Is the planned revamp still happening?

Not yet, not for a long while to come no, i'm very occupied with my university and my modding time's taken by Stomper already which has yet to be completed and put out. So it might not happen if things go on like this, because such revamp would require full attention from me and some months to work, because of how enormous this thing is. Even though the revamp would only mean redoing the levels after the 4th one.

Hm, I should also report that I get a consistent crash on a SVN GZDoom build (http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-G1.9pre-496-gf96f4cb.7z) which is the latest at the time of this writing.

The crash happens when fighting Francis' final form. It dosen't crash to a debug screen like most screens, but instead freezes up. Seems to be related to possibly large amount of particles in Francis' attacks?

Either way, I had a great time with Soulcrusher. What a fantastic mod. Great job!

Weird, I thought I fixed the bugs involving that fight, some stupid gzdoom change must have broken it again, i'll investigate when I have more time.