Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scaled

[noob] Best Linux Mapping tools?

I've heard suggestions for both Doombuilder via WINE and for just going with something DOS-based courtasy of dosbox.

Is there anything relatively newbie friendly for Vanilla mapping in linux?

Really I am sorry if this has been asked elsewhere and i"m fully expecting someone to pop up with 'dude, search feacher turned up 58053053 things.' I didn't see anything that was idiot friendly.

Looking for something to do while internet's down due to moving.

I use Linux and didn't succeed in finding much in the way of native utilities. Doombuilder 1 in Wine works pretty well for me, though (although 3D mode acts a little funky sometimes).

I learned the basics of mapping in Yadex. I thought it was very newbie friendly, I just opened it and started drawing stuff immediately. I couldn't figure out how to delete inner parts of sectors though but probably the functionality is there.

You can try Yadex or some of its variants (e.g. Eureka).

You can also try SLADE 2. (I wouldn't advise using SLADE 3's map editor at the moment: it's very incomplete and not entirely stable; though the wad editor part is good.)

I continue to work on Eureka, e.g. making it easier to use, but it's gonna be a few months before the fruits of those labors become squished and reconstituted as a release.

For other tools: XWadTools is a linux package with some very useful programs (like 'lswad').

There is also DeuTex for unpacking and packing up wads.

Memfis said:

I couldn't figure out how to delete inner parts of sectors though but probably the functionality is there.

If you just want voidspace there instead of 2s linedefs, just select the sector and hit Delete key. You might first have to flip some linedefs, so all side 1's points outwards.

BTW if OP wants to try Yadex, make sure to apply the Yadex_170_ALL.diff, so you get 3D preview and other enhancements. There's also a "Patch to snap new objects to grid" on Yadex mailing list archive that's really useful also.

If you're only doing vanilla mapping the SLADE3 map editor is fairly feature-complete for that, just remember to save often :P

hex11 said:

BTW if OP wants to try Yadex, make sure to apply the Yadex_170_ALL.diff, so you get 3D preview and other enhancements.

which is available on my Yadex Patch Page (google it).

sirjuddington said:

If you're only doing vanilla mapping the SLADE3 map editor is fairly feature-complete for that, just remember to save often :P

The 3D view mode tends to go completely haywire after changing some geometry.

Gez said:

The 3D view mode tends to go completely haywire after changing some geometry.

If you mean after saving, I just fixed that in r1376 :P

Compared to doombuilder how easy is it for someone who hasn't a clue what they're doing to pick up and use?

Edit: It's not letting me download SLADE3 trunk. Where do i get this 'fixed' build from?