Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scaled

Improved Strife Weapons?

There's an 'improved doom weapons' pk3 that gives you an explicit 'doomguy' class to pick from whenever you start a game (and it works in strife, hexen, and freedoom.) Gives you the doom weapons to play with (with alt fire modes.

Has anything similar been done for the strife weapons? Asking mainly because i wanna see how they would work inside of doom (or even heretic.)

Edit: I might as well put this here too since it's related to strife weaponry.

are there any mods that rebalance damage so the electric bolt does more damage to purely robotic enemies? IE you shoot a security turret, floaty laser thing, or spider they go down one hit. Acolytes would take more hits than they do currently... and i"m not sure how you'd handle hier level robot enemies. Guess. Just a small thought that might give the crossbow more life through game by giving it the specialized 'one shot low level critter' ammo leaving the machinegun as your low level generalist weapon (and the rest being more or less the same.)

Electric bolts are already great for one or two low level enemies. It's the lack of accuracy that the player has at the start that makes it difficult.

And poison bolts are amazing, if you aren't using them mid-late game you should be.

Already been using poison bolts. Never really noticed electric bolts being any good against mechanicals. Could just be me derping though.

scaled said:

Never really noticed electric bolts being any good against mechanicals.

Heh, that doesn't mean go using them against reavers, crusaders and inquisitors. :P But imo its purpose is for saving precious MG and missle ammo on those low threat encounters rather than being a powerful weapon. A sidearm effectively.

There is one or two Strife weapon mods out there (iirc Weapons of Rebellion) but I don't have any links on hand. There was a thread on this forum about it, do a search and see if it pops up. :)

I'm working on an enhancement-type mod that does exactly this and some more things. The goal is to keep it simple, though, and also provide mappers with a good resource for making maps, free from all the hardcoded oddities that Strife's actors provide.

I'm actually curious to know if Khorus would be interested in such a thing, since he's more or less our resident Strife mapping expert. I need to release an alpha at some point but I'd rather get some mapper feedback on it first.

the ability to throw spiderbots seems... random. Also why did you combo the assault rifle with the grenade launcher?

scaled said:

the ability to throw spiderbots seems... random. Also why did you combo the assault rifle with the grenade launcher?

Just sorta felt like it, I suppose, and to also give it a lil more versatility if you suddenly run into a much stronger opposing force.

Reading through this thread, it seems ‘everyone’ wants Strife to have some uber weapon that's so powerful, you never have switch.

I.e the Crossbow's poison bolts kill a human enemy with one shot. But you also want it's electric bolts to be able to kill most robots with one shot.

Or a minigun/grenade launcher combo.

I didn't want the machinegun/nade launcher combo. I just thought having the crossbow bolts able to sap low level enemies (balance out by the fact it's rate of fire sucks and compared to what you have later in the game ammo is scarce after the Keep which by then you have more powerful weapons anyway.)

Xaser said:

I'm working on an enhancement-type mod that does exactly this and some more things. The goal is to keep it simple, though, and also provide mappers with a good resource for making maps, free from all the hardcoded oddities that Strife's actors provide.

I'm actually curious to know if Khorus would be interested in such a thing, since he's more or less our resident Strife mapping expert. I need to release an alpha at some point but I'd rather get some mapper feedback on it first.

Ja, I'd be interested in taking a look at what you're playing with. :)

Bare in mind that Absolute Order is pretty much finished, I'm just putting in mapinfo and some music tweaking, so it'd have to be for future projects.