Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Obsidian

How to change MAPINFO in Vanilla?

What the title says. I recently figured out how to change map names and music using SLADE, but I don't know how to change these things for vanilla-compatible maps. I'm pretty sure there's a tricky bit of hard coding I need to do, but I don't quite know where to start. Can anyone help me out? :)

For map names you can download Whacked and go to the strings tab for automap names, and change the cwil or whatever graphics for intermission names.

For music, name your midi file the same as the original midi that doom uses (like D_RUNNIN for doom2 map01).

Vanilla doesn't have MAPINFO, so you have to do it the old way.

For automap level names, use DeHackEd (you can run it in DOSBox) or grab the .deh file from a vanilla PWAD that changes the automap names and use that as a template (it's just a plain text file). If you also want to change the intermission screen level names, then it's slightly more complicated because there are some graphics to replace (but you just edit them like any other graphic lump). You should be able to find those easily in your WAD editor.

For music, you have to add correctly named MUS lumps to your PWAD, and they really have to be in MUS format, as plain MIDI won't play in vanilla. The lump names must be exactly the same as the ones for the maps you want to replace, so d_e1m1.lmp for E1M1, d_runnin.lmp for MAP01, etc.

Thanks for the pointers guys. :-) I am having a few problems though:

-I've got Windows XP, so I don't think I can use Dehacked.

-None of the things for Whacked will install properly: for some reason it says Access Denied.

A little more help please?

There might be ways to make DeHackEd work natively on the NT-based command line but if all fails there's DOSBox, as hex11 noted.

hex11 said:
For music, you have to add correctly named MUS lumps to your PWAD, and they really have to be in MUS format, as plain MIDI won't play in vanilla.

Not true unless you want the levels to also work with Doom95 and Doom v1.4 or earlier. Although any MIDIs that don't convert to MUS files won't work. MUS has a maximum size of 64 KB, although the MIDIs that convert to that size tend to be somewhat bigger in size. Also, MUS is compatible with MIDI type 1 or less, so some MIDIs that have later features don't function. All in all, many MIDIs work in Doom. This is why WADs like Alien Vendetta and others have MIDIs in them.

Back in the day, Dave Taylor added internal MIDI to MUS conversion to Doom and also released the MIDI to MUS conversion tool.

The lump names must be exactly the same as the ones for the maps you want to replace, so d_e1m1.lmp for E1M1, d_runnin.lmp for MAP01, etc.

Right, and this also means you can use DeHackEd to make any level use existing music. Want your single level WAD to use the level 8 music instead of the usual level 1 music? Just add this to the DeHackEd patch:

Text 6 6
runninddtblu
Or look for runnin in the DeHackEd text editor (F7) and change it to ddtblu. This can also be used to repeat new tracks in a level set, so you don't have to import duplicate lumps with different names, or, lets say you inserted a new track for level 2, you could still use the original level 2 track for level 3 by changing countd to stlks2, for tracks that repeat in the original game.

One of the super ghetto ways you can change map names without DeHackEd is to download another wad that uses it, open it in SLADE, copy the DeHackEd file over, delete everything except the [STRINGS] & HUSTR_# you need, and then just rename it.

myk, are you also Ashley_Pomeroy? I always thought all those reviews on old wads that start "this wad is dated..." were yours, but now with the new /idgames it says that the new reviews that are worded just like those old ones were made by Ashley_Pomeroy.

dobugabumaru said:

One of the super ghetto ways you can change map names without DeHackEd is to download another wad that uses it, open it in SLADE, copy the DeHackEd file over, delete everything except the [STRINGS] & HUSTR_# you need, and then just rename it.

Okay. You know any vanilla maps I can use that have automap names? :D

Any MIDI song that can convert to MUS is a MIDI song that vanilla Doom will convert to MUS for you automagically, so you could as well just include that MIDI directly. Sure, it will not work in Doom95; but neither will any DEHACKED stuff.

And any MIDI song that Doom will fail to convert automatically is a MIDI song that cannot be converted at all.

myk said:

Right, and this also means you can use DeHackEd to make any level use existing music. Want your single level WAD to use the level 8 music instead of the usual level 1 music? Just add this to the DeHackEd patch:

Text 6 6
runninddtblu
Or look for runnin in the DeHackEd text editor (F7) and change it to ddtblu. This can also be used to repeat new tracks in a level set, so you don't have to import duplicate lumps with different names, or, lets say you inserted a new track for level 2, you could still use the original level 2 track for level 3 by changing countd to stlks2, for tracks that repeat in the original game.

And one can even use that to give entirely new names to songs, as long as they start with D_. So for instance:

Text 6 6
runninsong01
With that, MAP01 will now play the song D_SONG01.

This method was used in Plutonia 2.

Obsidian said:

Okay. You know any vanilla maps I can use that have automap names? :D

There are plenty, but look at Plutonia 2's dehacked. It is the most complete for strings.

TimeOfDeath said:
myk, are you also Ashley_Pomeroy?

Nope! I incidentally did write the 2nd and 3rd comments that appear on the MIDI2MUS page, though.

Gez said:

And one can even use that to give entirely new names to songs, as long as they start with D_. So for instance:

I hated that in PL2. When I want to listen to some song from MM2MUS.WAD I can open it and easily find what I want (I know by heart that D_ROMERO=map18, D_ADRIAN=map25, etc), but in PL2.WAD I see weird names like D_EB_AGA (or whatever that map24 midi is called) and I have no idea which map they correspond to.

Obsidian said:

I am having a few problems though:

-I've got Windows XP, so I don't think I can use Dehacked.

-None of the things for Whacked will install properly: for some reason it says Access Denied.

Dehacked runs fine for me from the XP command prompt, while under DOSBox the mouse cursor only goes half-way down the screen.

Which version of WhackED is that? I'm using the WhackED3 beta.

Memfis said:

I hated that in PL2. When I want to listen to some song from MM2MUS.WAD I can open it and easily find what I want (I know by heart that D_ROMERO=map18, D_ADRIAN=map25, etc), but in PL2.WAD I see weird names like D_EB_AGA (or whatever that map24 midi is called) and I have no idea which map they correspond to.

It's a song by Eric Baker (EB) and it's titled "Against God's Will" (AGAinst). To me it speaks more than THEDA3.

But when I wanted to find map24's midi I had to check every damn song. :\

edit: or maybe I just looked in the *.deh for its name, I don't remember. But it annoyed me a little.