Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

368 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Guest Kevin

Mod note: This is now the all-encompassing "which source port do you prefer" thread.

Please note that the poll has only been active as of mid-2018.

Part1--1:ZDoom 2:EDGE 3:Boom 4:Legacy 5:JDoom etc.

Part2--1:ZDoomGL 2:DoomGL 3:GLlegacy 4:Doom3D etc.

Ok guys,now please give me some opinions that which port is the best of these two parts.

The best port is the one you like most. Oh, and we do not need or want any port war (at least I do not).

every port has it pros and cons it all depends on what you yourself find crucial, edge is very customizable (although slow, and lacks some of zdoom's neat features), zdoom has acs scripting and better music support (through fmod), and i think boom runs alot faster then the others.

As for the 3d versions i havn't got much experience.

Guest Nuno Correia
Jon said:

PRBoom wins.

Stick to Doom95 :)

Guest spacedog

Legacy is the best port to play with
Zdoom is best for making fancy levels
Edge is best for making new beasties and suchlike
but prboom is a very good all-rounder
however i reckon the next version of legacy, with 3d floors and fragglescript and boom compatability will beat the crap out of all of them

Guest Nuno Correia
Shaviro said:

Doom95 is not a port, but a launcher!

Oh yeah. This is my post Number 400!!!

It is a port, Maonth. It was a special Windows 95 version of WinDoom (which is a port, too) which allowed Hi-Res modes without stretching.

Guest JudgeDooM

ZDooM, GLlegacy and csDooM

EDGE

but wishes other ports had similar characteristics though... then I would like almost all of them.

I like characteristics from all, but wish everyone would make one big bad port with every little feature in it!

Zdoom. It combines all the good (and some of the bad) from Hexen, Doom and Quake.

Leagcy 4 eva!-zdoom's good too but i like legacy more cause it comes with a STABLE luancher-and just looks incredible,that and the blood on the walls,and bullet holes!

but zdoom does have scripting,and securitrons for it (easily my favorite TC-Probablt cause its very similar to my anarchy one)

edge would be good-cept its mouselooks shit and it doesnt have autoaim (as i found out while playing covert ops,much to the amusement of the machine gunners in the towers)-edge's 3d floors are amazing though,and ddfs just the best!

another one i like is (gasp) MBF!-Ok so it doesnt have much good features (hi res,boom support...) but the helper marines are what weve all dreamed of ('what if one other person did survive...')

Guest Phreak144

Im looking for compatability and graphics.

i like zdoom. but if your worried about graphics go with legacy. i wish heit would combine zdoom and zdoomgl. that is when the bigs are ironed out. i wana be able to switch modes during play like quake 2. i wish i could do that in jdoom. i thik thats the best looking

that depends on what you are playing.. if you are playing without an addon map, or are playing a regular doom wad, a wad that requires the boom engines features, or requires any port but not a specific one (the latter case because of the size or complexity of the wad) youll be better off using prboom.

compatibility: it allows you to run the wads like they were intended to through a bunch of optional features.

graphics: it has hi res, and it comes with a gl version of the engine in case you are blessed with a 3d card.

most wads are made for plain doom or boom at most.. that means that the map structure and monster/item placement is most suitable for those engines (doom or boom). the other ports (legacy zdoom edge) offer features that make them especially worthwhile when running maps made for them, they have features that alter the players capabilities (jumping, mlook) plus the ways maps work (scripting, true 3d). these ports have certain limitations when used with "generic" maps, like monsters getting stuck on lifts or with each other being an example.

so id say use prboom in w98 (unless youre playing a map made for zdoom legacy or edge)

in dos there arent as many choices.. you might as well use the original exe there. mbf and smmu optionally offer higher res tho (640 x 400), so you might like to try them (plus they will run bigger wads or boom wads) mbf has most of the compatibility options i mentioned for prboom, smmu many if not all of those plus a few other features.

Not saying what the best is, i just want to say that legacy is my Favorite too. I love the graphics and the hud at the bottom, and even when you take it off. I like it much better than zdoom, however, zdoom has better play, well, with csdoom anyway, for multiplayer. I've tried Legacy w/ multiplayer and i had little fun. It was like, suck a butt speed. Any way, just my opinion.

Gah...I hate when people ask "What's the best XXXX?" because, invariably, there is never a 'best'. There is simply an option which provides the best compromise.

And in my opinion, IF you can get it to work right, that is ZdoomGL. It really only has one issue, and that is: stability.

Barring that, I would use SMMU in DOS, and PRBoom or Legacy in Windows 98.

Just my two bits.

PrBoom is like Rock'n Roll for me :-)
...there's also a new frontend available for that,
a new release is coming soon: Warp to my site.

i am seeing all these source ports around and i don't know.. i've been using zdoom for a while.. am I a fool? Is there something better then Zdoom? like what is the difference between that and Boom? anything special, or just more of the same.... ? either way, i'd just like to know a little more about the available source ports, and which one most people prefer... i think zdoom rocks personally...

ZDoom is pretty much the master-port, it has just about everything in it except a few Legacy and EDGE features. It doesn't run as fast as most other ports though, mainly because it's such a conglomerate of features. Some people prefer faster speeds to ZDoom features, like me, although I keep ZDoom handy for maps that use it's features and thus require it. Same with EDGE.

ZDOOM GL WITH MD2 MODELS! W00T!

And someone answer my question in "swinging doors".

imo, mlook and jumping practically takes the doom feel out of the game, and gl mode ruins the fun. I am talking about Zdoom, Legacy, and EDGE. Prboom however runs like the oringinal Doom with all of the cool Boom and MBF features and stuff and all Doom95 bugs fixed. ID should of made that port the new official .exe when they released the collector's edition.

Although thats just my opinion and the other ports makes Doom act like Quake, and I really hate all quake games with a passion.

so....whats your favorate port?