Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Woman runs over husband for not voting

Snakes said:

Yes, because a post veiled in mockery is meant to be my real, genuine point of view on the entire situation. Good call!

I realize you were speaking sarcastically. I was referring to the accusation of racism. Hence the part that I quoted.

Caffeine Freak said:

I realize you were speaking sarcastically. I was referring to the accusation of racism. Hence the part that I quoted.

Remember that it's not just what is being said, but who said it as well... If I were to say the exact same thing, Snakes would laugh it off as a snarky, sarcastic remark. (Then again, I'm smart enough not to put it in such an ambiguous context)

As far as posts coming from you Caffeine Freak, we all have to start asking questions... it's all about the reputation man.

Doom Marine said:

Remember that it's not just what is being said, but who said it as well... If I were to say the exact same thing, Snakes would laugh it off as a snarky, sarcastic remark. (Then again, I'm smart enough not to put it in such an ambiguous context)

As far as posts coming from you Caffeine Freak, we all have to start asking questions... it's all about the reputation man.

Sure, but keep in mind that I haven't been a frequent poster here for very long, so I'm not exactly familiar with the reputation or antics of most of the frequent posters. Unless I've had a conversation or two with them, or seen how they generally respond to others (and I've read very little from Snakes), I'm likely to respond to them the same way I would, well... to pretty much anyone that I'm not familiar with.

Cyberdemon112 said:

Women...

what

also heh

also it amuses me how seriously some people take politics, and how opinionated and dense they are sometimes, but it isn't entirely unexpected.

InsanityBringer said:

also it amuses me how seriously some people take politics, and how opinionated and dense they are sometimes, but it isn't entirely unexpected.

Scoff if you want, but this kind of apathetic attitude is what leads old grey men to decide how you make your money and how they spend it... I'm sorry, how old are you again?

Doom Marine said:

Scoff if you want, but this kind of apathetic attitude is what leads old grey men to decide how you make your money and how they spend it... I'm sorry, how old are you again?

I'm young and I admit I am a bit stupid around politics.

I fully admit I am a bit stupid when it comes to politics, but it seriously confuses me the level of seriousness people take politics -- but once again I think this is just biased around things like the news article featured here. I guess I just don't get enough reasonable politics discussion, which is a bad thing.

InsanityBringer said:

What made you say this? Threads here? The fact this woman ran over her husband? That your friends talk more about politics than about video games or girls and you get bored? It all gets mixed up. Your generic statement tends to say little more than "this woman running over her husband represents politics, shush now about it, it's not worth taking seriously, it's beneath us". I mean, if you really want reasonable or serious politics, you need to start with a juicy enough statement to incite intelligent debate, to start creating what you are demanding, not a muddled accusation that turns politics into "the Jew among topics". After all, the general disparagement of politics is tied to reactionary political agendas that highlight the flaws of democracy to undermine it, so you end up playing into that, as Doom Marine noted.

InsanityBringer said:

I'm young and I admit I am a bit stupid around politics.

It's better to be aware of your ignorance than to be one of those people who love to foist their opinions on others when they have no idea what they're talking about; for example, those well-meaning people who subscribe to "green movements" and have grand ideas about saving the planet from over-industrialisation and genetically-modified crops, but spend all day protesting instead of doing their research and getting their facts straight.

Anyway, most things in life are political issues. You're probably of the age where the ones that don't interest you don't seem important.

DoomUK said:
for example, those well-meaning people who subscribe to "green movements" and have grand ideas about saving the planet from over-industrialisation and genetically-modified crops, but spend all day protesting instead of doing their research and getting their facts straight.

Ah, or people that make sweeping statements with a holier than thou attitude against green movement activists!

When you say "getting facts straight" without specifics, you're drawing suspicions about anything they say, with a preconception of what they're so wrong about that others don't necessarily share.

myk said:

Ah, or people that make sweeping statements with a holier than thou attitude against green movement activists!

When you say "getting facts straight" without specifics, you're drawing suspicions about anything they say, with a preconception of what they're so wrong about that others don't necessarily share.

I have to ask, are you in the legal profession? This is far from the first time I've noticed that you have a thing for petty details, and I have to wonder whether it's deliberately invoked or whether it's just your raison d'etre.

I think general discourse should permit a degree of flexibility over the rhetoric people choose to use, without someone in the crowd getting all anal about the precise choice of words being written or spoken. It makes for very tedious exchange when you can't bring up an example without there being a whole auxiliary debate about whether the example is immaculately accurate or relevant. The point I was trying to make, perhaps clumsily, is that it's more noble (and, in my opinion, smart) to admit you just don't know, or don't care, than to be mislead into believing things which aren't true and henceforth assert them as facts.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with green movements, and I'm personally all for a lot of the intentions they have. But there's also been a lot of bullshit circulated thanks to extremist views about the rights of animals/plants/etc, often based on misinformation and warped scientific evidence.

DoomUK said:

I think general discourse should permit a degree of flexibility over the rhetoric people choose to use, without someone in the crowd getting all anal about the precise choice of words being written or spoken. It makes for very tedious exchange when you can't bring up an example without there being a whole auxiliary debate about whether the example is immaculately accurate or relevant.

Precision in word choices and phrases are important. There is a marked difference between "The administration is bullshit" and "The administration has done more to curb citizen's liberty than any other presidency since World War II."

What you are conveying is an excuse for intellectual laziness, when I see words like "petty details" and "anal," it reeks of a tosser at best.

If a person during a discourse haven't thought thoroughly about how his choices of word dictates his expressed intent, without him consciously knowing so, then perhaps he has mistakenly open himself to an auxiliary debate about his intent that he never intended.

DoomUK said:

The point I was trying to make, perhaps clumsily, is that it's more noble (and, in my opinion, smart) to admit you just don't know, or don't care, than to be mislead into believing things which aren't true and henceforth assert them as facts.

If someone doesn't know, or care about the discourse, then why even give input in it? Isn't it more noble to silently observe rather than to draw unwanted attention to oneself with professed self-ignorance and apathy?

DoomUK said:

For the record, there's nothing wrong with green movements, and I'm personally all for a lot of the intentions they have. But there's also been a lot of bullshit circulated thanks to extremist views about the rights of animals/plants/etc, often based on misinformation and warped scientific evidence.

The problem here is that you keep putting these statements out there without any real substance to show for it.

When you say "getting facts straight" without specifics, you're drawing suspicions about anything they say, with a preconception of what they're so wrong about that others don't necessarily share. -myk

Doom Marine said:

Word choices and phrases are important.

Fine, then in the spirit of things let me retort without making any attempt to read between the lines and put an intelligent person behind the posts:-

Doom Marine said:

What you are conveying is an excuse for intellectual laziness, when I see words like "petty details" and "anal," it reeks of a tosser at best.

The hostility conveyed in this rebuke of a reply reeks of not only of spiteful favouritism, but a poor sense of introspection and glaringly bad hypocrisy based on your posting history.

Doom Marine said:

If a person during a discourse haven't thought thoroughly about how his choices of word dictates his expressed intent, without him consciously knowing so, then perhaps he has mistakenly open himself to an auxiliary debate about his intent that he never intended.

I hope this level of pedantry that you're apparently so proud of (which explains your choice of allegiance btw) is confined to the internet, or at the very least some kind of a University/college* debate group. Unless there's some very likeable aspect of your personality which just isn't conveyed in posts on an internet forum.

*completely irrelevant side note: I've never been entirely sure what the distinction between a college and a university is in the US. US college students seem to be of the same age as typical UK university students, and graduating seems to give people the same footing in the "real world" as a degree does (or at least in principle).

DoomUK said:
The point I was trying to make, perhaps clumsily, is that it's more noble (and, in my opinion, smart) to admit you just don't know, or don't care, than to be mislead into believing things which aren't true and henceforth assert them as facts.

That works best when you practice it on yourself first. You used a group that, while you say you like their "intentions", is evidently not aligned politically with you. To many readers, your example just sits on vague media info about green movements, a lot of which is pumped out by interested and corporate groups quite intent on sidelining and disparaging environmental activists.

For example, I critiqued a vanilla user's comment here. Who can accuse me of a second agenda when I agree with his preference but shot down his argument? You could have found many examples of people who don't know what they are talking about in places that are closer to your agendas, even in anecdotes where you learned this from making the mistake yourself, like me talking about MIDIs in Doom. I'm not saying you can't use another group, or even an opposed one, but the more distant it is to your interests, the more specifics and backing you'll need unless you're talking to some close friend or associate.

I hope this level of pedantry that you're apparently so proud of (which explains your choice of allegiance btw) is confined to the internet, or at the very least some kind of a University/college debate group. Unless there's some very likeable aspect of your personality which just isn't conveyed in posts on an internet forum.

You mean, "not next to your rich reactionary uncle". Online capabilities are in any case changing what it's okay to say, you can't deny that. Even if they're not said in each other's face, they're said, so they end up being admitted, and then we do start to speak them publicly and anywhere. I find that sometimes when I say some things in front of my older relatives, some of them are uncomfortable. Others have troglodyte opinions through which they could never take many things I'd say as anything but a mortal threat without revising their own convictions. They are the one's who haven't adapted to a new more democratic and debatable world, not me.

DoomUK said:

Fine, then in the spirit of things let me retort without making any attempt to read between the lines and put an intelligent person behind the posts:-

The hostility conveyed in this rebuke of a reply reeks of not only of spiteful favouritism, but a poor sense of introspection and glaringly bad hypocrisy based on your posting history.

I hope this level of pedantry that you're apparently so proud of (which explains your choice of allegiance btw) is confined to the internet, or at the very least some kind of a University/college debate group. Unless there's some very likeable aspect of your personality which just isn't conveyed in posts on an internet forum.

Is that what you call it? Pedantry? The vibe that I get from you is: "my ignorance is just as good as your degree." So instead of breaking down the argument with order and method, you decided to resort to ad hominem in the same manner in which you try to bypass due intellectual rigor. Some snippets of what you've just said:

"It's better to be aware of your ignorance than to be one of those people who love to foist their opinions on others when they have no idea what they're talking about."

"Anyway, most things in life are political issues. You're probably of the age where the ones that don't interest you don't seem important."

"This is far from the first time I've noticed that you have a thing for petty details."

"I think general discourse should permit a degree of flexibility over the rhetoric people choose to use, without someone in the crowd getting all anal about the precise choice of words being written or spoken."

Let me ask you something: Why should general discourse permit a degree of flexibility over the rhetoric people choose to use? Why shouldn't they be called out for their lack of precision?

If someone presents a vague statement, like an opinion about the "green movement," without giving due evidence, then he is subjected to scrutiny of the statement itself and his ability to put together a rational argument.

And lastly, if you're going to call into question the nature of person who is doing the questioning, it's generally good policy not to insinuate their education/socio-economic status into the debate, as they may be several standard deviations to the right of you.

Doom Marine said:

Why shouldn't they be called out for their lack of precision?

Besides being a small annoyance? No reason at all, I suppose. Frankly I've said all that I can say, and neither of you have any obligation to agree with me on this, or even see where I'm coming from.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There's a small number of people on Doomworld who have an obsession with being right and calling people out on the most insignificant things to further their campaign in expressing their perceived greatness. Whether I'm alone in making this observation or not doesn't really interest me, but while most of the time I can ignore it I can't help but say something every once in a while.

That's not to say I think your posts aren't worth reading; quite the contrary. It's just your attitude(s) that spoil what would otherwise be something even greater.

Doom Marine said:

If someone presents a vague statement, like an opinion about the "green movement," without giving due evidence, then he is subjected to scrutiny of the statement itself and his ability to put together a rational argument.

But's it's just not goddamn important. Not when it has little to do with what's really being discussed. The fact that you're unable to see this only confirms all of my suspicions.

Doom Marine said:

And lastly, if you're going to call into question the nature of person who is doing the questioning, be careful about insinuating their education/socio-economic status into the debate

You're referring to my comment about debate groups?

How THAT could be taken so far out of context is utterly baffling. But in the event of any offence caused, albeit unintended, I apologise.

DoomUK said:
But's it's just not goddamn important. Not when it has little to do with what's really being discussed. The fact that you're unable to see this only confirms all of my suspicions.

Sure it's related to the discussion. Basically, you called on InsanityBringer's lack of fact checking about politics, but to do so you ironically used a rather murky example related to politics where in my opinion you were following his bad example, as you roughly had the guts to admit.

Pushy comments were made on both sides, yet you were the one who interpreted them openly as hostility in the discussion. I think that's related to upbringing in environments that encourage different degrees of boldness in debate, like I implied above. So I'm going to expect you to throw an insult (such as "lawyer", "misbehaved Internet nerd", "nitpicker" or "intellectual braggart") my way occasionally, as my way of debating tends to "go too far" from your more conservative vantage point. Conservatism as a whole has the same stance against academic institutions, so this can be expected in individuals too.

myk said:

Pushy comments were made on both sides, yet you were the one who interpreted them openly as hostility in the discussion I think that's related to upbringing in environments that encourage different degrees of boldness in debate, like I implied above. So I'm going to expect you to throw an insult (such as "lawyer", "misbehaved Internet nerd", "nitpicker" or "intellectual braggart") my way occasionally, as my way of debating tends to "go too far" from your more conservative vantage point. Conservatism as a whole has the same stance against academic institutions, so this can be expected in individuals too.

Calling someone a "tosser" is neither pleasant nor instrumental in a mature, grown-up discussion about anything; whether or not you believe someone is talking complete shit. If you've watched, say, this video you'll have noticed that at no point do any of these Gentlemen call the other a "tosser", despite there being some difference of opinion during the conversation (I suspect you're now going to remind me how these guys are making more effort than I am to explain themselves, but I'm prepared to run that risk).

It has nothing to do with over-sensitivity, or indeed my whole upbringing that you've neatly come to a conclusion over (with some inaccuracy, but I'll let it slide); the word or the meaning behind it isn't offensive in a vacuum. I'm a believer in people saying what they wish to say, but as long as my words are being taken out of context I reserve an equal right to extrapolate a sense of hostility from someone's post. I'm fairly confident I know when Doom Marine is taking the piss and when he's being serious, despite the number of times he and I have discussed something one-on-one being sparse.

Look, if you want a thread about "green movements" and such, be my guest. I'll be happy to explain myself a little further, and you're more than welcome to dispute anything I say, in whatever way you see fit. I just didn't think it was relevant for this particular thread, or even important to provide citations for what wasn't supposed to be read so deeply into, and I still haven't been persuaded otherwise.

DoomUK said:
It has nothing to do with over-sensitivity, or indeed my whole upbringing that you've neatly come to a conclusion over (with some inaccuracy, but I'll let it slide); the word or the meaning behind it isn't offensive in a vacuum.

Well, I won't. I was saying I get the impression you're more conservative than me, and I take it from the things we tend to post or defend in our posts. Is that deniable? Exactly how your upbringing played in, I can't say, but I don't believe in subjects that aren't tied to their environment, so I'm not going to put the "full blame" on your conscious self.

Huy's tosser, which was part of a phrase that quoted words in turn interpreted as insulting, may have taken the insulting to a somewhat more explicit level, but insinuating someone is "petty like a lawyer" to categorize them in general as someone who's addicted to nitpicking is right there as an attempt to disparage the speaker as a whole. But I'm not questioning any entitlement to saying things that may sound offensive, but rather your posture on acting like you're the one being attacked here in particular. Nothing is more debatable than who started it. That defensiveness is what I associated to being more conservative.

myk said:

insinuating someone is "petty like a lawyer" to categorize them in general as someone who's addicted to nitpicking is right there as an attempt to disparage the speaker as a whole.

Ok, fair point.

Although I'll maintain that you DO nitpick and it IS a source of frustration, it's hardly something that should define you. Probably not my finest moment, I'll admit.

DoomUK said:

Besides being a small annoyance? No reason at all, I suppose. Frankly I've said all that I can say, and neither of you have any obligation to agree with me on this, or even see where I'm coming from.

So you stated something that you admitted isn't precisely worded, and when someone calls you out on it, you get annoyed and pass it off as petty nitpicking, elitism, and pedantry. This actually speaks more about you than it does about those who criticize you.

DoomUK said:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There's a small number of people on Doomworld who have an obsession with being right and calling people out on the most insignificant things to further their campaign in expressing their perceived greatness. Whether I'm alone in making this observation or not doesn't really interest me, but while most of the time I can ignore it I can't help but say something every once in a while.

You believe that you're the victim of "those people who love to foist their opinions on other when they have no idea what they're talking about." To be honest, we have no idea where you're coming from or what you're talking about either, since you don't back up your loaded opinion with a rational, thought-out argument.

These "insignificant things" that you were called out for in the course of this episode included:

* myk calling you out for your sweeping statements against green movement activists.
* myk calling you out for not backing up your statements with any facts.
* me calling you out for being imprecise and not backing your statements with any facts.

Believe it or not, these things are actually significant to those of us who actively participate in a serious discussion. If you spout a loaded opinion without taking the effort to properly cite facts and logically refute counterpoints, it will be deemed as falsehood and your character will be called into question.

And "to further their campaign with perceived greatness?" Sounds like someone is speaking out with a great deal of psychological projection. I speaking for one, am already a secure, established member in the community; there is nothing more for me to gain. You are getting our mentality wrong because of your psychological projection... it isn't that we have an obsession with being right, it is our obsession with quelling untrue things that lead us to correct you and others.

It's philosophical, it's scientific, and it's rigorous.

DoomUK said:

That's not to say I think your posts aren't worth reading; quite the contrary. It's just your attitude(s) that spoil what would otherwise be something even greater.

"Something even greater" is just plain delusional, why would I want something greater? What is the point? Sounds like you're psychologically projecting something that you want onto me.

DoomUK said:

What's not goddamn important? Not important to whom? To you? They are important to us!

You ever asked yourself, why there are well-known community members calling you out constantly for these imprecisions that will time and again, haunt you in any serious discussion, especially of the political nature?

Instead of getting annoyed and taking a stance, just take some time out and think about it in a neutral state of mind and come back to us.

In all seriousness, it's very mentally retarded to do that. When my sister showed me the article about it a day ago, I laughed my ass off at the woman's picture. Look at how angrily, hopelessly sad she looks. Dumb decision to run over your husband eh?

Doom Marine said:

beating a dead horse, and a bunch of other stuff about psychological projection and how great I am

It's incredible how sincere appraisal is now being warped into it's antithesis. All in the name of me refusing to further derail a thread about some crazy bitch running over her husband with facts and figures about an ideology that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I've even offered to express my thoughts in more detail elsewhere, but you skipped over that part and continued to demand things with your arms flailing. At this point you resemble a child throwing a disproportionate tantrum over something that's easily resolved, just not in the way that he wants.

I'm sorry, but someone with such an unshakable sense of self-worth and self-importance should have scant need of the kind of insecurity pouring from your keyboard. I'm almost tempted to take back what I originally said about the quality of your posts, but that would be defiling what I believe is basically true, even if what you've had to say in this thread is revealing less amiable aspects of you. But maybe it would have been more healthy for your arrogance for me to have not even brought it up in an attempt to temper criticism with compliments, albe them both applicable.

Doom Marine said:

Instead of getting annoyed and taking a stance...

Your trolling is deftly weaved, I'll give you that.

DoomUK said:

Doom Marine said:
beating a dead horse, and a bunch of other stuff about psychological projection and how great I am

It's incredible how sincere appraisal is now being warped into it's antithesis. All in the name of me refusing to further derail a thread about some crazy bitch running over her husband with facts and figures about an ideology that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I've even offered to express my thoughts in more detail elsewhere, but you skipped over that part and continued to demand things with your arms flailing. At this point you resemble a child throwing a disproportionate tantrum over something that's easily resolved, just not in the way that he wants.

You misquoting me in such a manner is flamebait, please refrain from doing so, that's a pretty big transgression in my book, considering our discourse and you really don't want it to end this way, you really don't.

This criticism from me ignores appraisal and has everything to do with your defensive posturing when I remind you to do two simple things: back up your argument and be logical in breaking down a person's argument. However, at every turn, you chose to misquote me and respond with angry sentiment that completely ignores the logical mechanism of how to properly mount a logical argument.

This supposed extension of appraisal is another way of avoiding the fact that you are not using critical thinking to correct your methodology of argument. It's the easy way out. I'm driving home one simple point: "If you're going to say something, back it up with logic first, not emotion."

Let me ask you this, and be honest with yourself: What is your intent of you even entering this episode of discussion? Without sarcasm, I'm not trying to troll you in this question.

DoomUK said:

I'm sorry, but someone with such an unshakable sense of self-worth and self-importance should have scant need of the kind of insecurity pouring from your keyboard. I'm almost tempted to take back what I originally said about the quality of your posts, but that would be defiling what I believe is basically true, even if what you've had to say in this thread is revealing less amiable aspects of you. But maybe it would have been more healthy for your arrogance for me to have not even brought it up in an attempt to temper criticism with compliments, albe them both applicable.

Your trolling is deftly weaved, I'll give you that.

Sorry, but once again, your self-projection =/= me, so don't get too overly emotional with your retorts.

The quality of my posting looks different when it's not directed at you, but now that you're under scrutiny, you feel different about it, why? It's ego, criticism intend to shatter the ego that blocks critical thinking. I don't believe in tempering criticism with compliments, that borderlines on false sincerity, and is even more insulting than bluntness in my book.

What is offensive is not dissenting opinion, but the willful lack of critical thinking and rigor that allow mistakes into the premise that is then presented as the opinion itself.

Doom Marine said:

you really don't want it to end this way, you really don't

How is a threat like this any less of a transgression than "flamebait"? Rules are rules, and I'm not infringing on any of them any more than you are. For all your admonitions about posting etiquette you're hardly in a position to lecture me about such things. As myk aptly put it, "Nothing is more debatable than who started it". However, re-read the entirety of this conversion and you should at least be able to conclude that any hostility on my end is equally matched on yours, even if you have no wish to bury the metaphorical hatchet.

Doom Marine said:

What is your intent of you even entering this episode of discussion?

What's YOURS??? Originally you jumped on my post and lashed out at me over something that I suspect isn't even your bone of contention any more, and you're dragging this out despite all of my efforts over us coming to a mutual understanding.

GreyGhost said:

vague generalization

Guilty as charged. Whether I'm single-handedly responsible for monging up the thread is a little out there, though.

DoomUK said:

How is a threat like this any less of a transgression than "flamebait"? Rules are rules, and I'm not infringing on any of them any more than you are. For all your admonitions about posting etiquette you're hardly in a position to lecture me about such things. As myk aptly put it, "Nothing is more debatable than who started it". However, re-read the entirety of this conversion and you should at least be able to conclude that any hostility on my end is equally matched on yours, even if you have no wish to bury the metaphorical hatchet.

Misconstruing other people's quotes into a bunch of blablabla is the end of civil discussion and will get you reported, don't even beat around the bush. No matter how loaded a discourse may go, there is a line that you generally don't cross. Most intelligent debaters know this unwritten line, figure it out.

DoomUK said:

What's YOURS??? Originally you jumped on my post and lashed out at me over something that I suspect isn't even your bone of contention any more, and you're dragging this out despite all of my efforts over us coming to a mutual understanding.

You still haven't answered the question. There is no mutual understanding, there is you lacking a foundation in constructing an argument, spouting unsubstantiated claims, and there are several people calling you out on it.