Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

A race of superhumans--will you be among them?

GoatLord said:

Depends on your point of view, in my opinion breeding through "natural" means is unnecessary

Sexual reproduction engaged in as a physical act is about as simple as it gets and requires a hell of lot less steps than going about it any other way so I don't know what the hell you are thinking here.

and lust is a useless emotion.

Multicellular life would not exist without the urge to procreate. Except plants and fungi...

GoatLord said:

I don't understand your reasoning. I'm not talking about a "stark before and after contrast." I'm choosing to ignore the intermediate steps because I'm interested in discussing the aftermath:

It would change our world in ways that would be impossible to predict in the long run of course. In the short term any kind of procedure like this would be incredibly costly and the barrier to entry wouldn't be a lack of desire but lack of money.

Classism to an utter extreme where the wealthy would be very able to afford all the gene therapies and implants to allow themselves and their children access to being far more intelligent, attractive than a normal person putting them in better and better positions of privilege and power to a far greater extent than they could've hoped to aquire in todays world. This is a very bleak future imo.

And of course I have contempt for my own body. Having genitals and limited mental/physical abilities is not ideal to me.

If you are really that self loathing, than no amount of 'augmentation' or plastic surgery is going to help you. You need to seek psychiatric care.

No seriously, people have very real issues with body dysphoria that cause a lot of quality of life issues for them, but it is treatable.

GoatLord said:

Depends on your point of view, in my opinion breeding through "natural" means is unnecessary and lust is a useless emotion.

Lust leads to fun when channeled right. That's all the use it needs.

I suspect that for things like limbs, bio-tech clones or prosthetics will end up being generally more useful than complex mechanical systems. Biological limbs don't require yearly service and parts replacements; nor do they require batteries.

The sorts of computer interfaces like that Brazilian guy has look interesting for machine control and telepresence. I wonder how many limbs a human can learn to use at the same time.

I keep an eye on similar developments with visual replacement or augmentation. My left eye keeps finding interesting ways to get worse. It will likely reach the point where the only way I can use it is if the retina is replaced completely. My right eye might decide to take that route some day too. If I have to have chips in there I wouldn't mind some that can do infrared, UV, x-rays, etc.

Here's some cool eye tech.

What is that a picture of? Also, Quast, the term "body dysphoria" seems to be a combination of "body dysmorphia" and "species dysphoria," and perhaps I am a sufferer of the former. I was in psychiatric care for about 13 years and got nowhere; I believe augmentation is the way to go. You could alter the genetalia, of both men and women, to function only as a form of waste disposal, eliminating the messy and ugly fluid exchange that accompanies sexuality. You could also alter the wiring of the brain so that the libido ceases to exist. Reproduction won't be necessary in a future where humans can be cloned or lab-grown.

GoatLord said:

I was in psychiatric care for about 13 years and got nowhere;

You can lead a horse to water...

I believe augmentation is the way to go. You could alter the genetalia, of both men and women, to function only as a form of waste disposal, eliminating the messy and ugly fluid exchange that accompanies sexuality.

Get out, jesus christ.

You could also alter the wiring of the brain so that the libido ceases to exist. Reproduction won't be necessary in a future where humans can be cloned or lab-grown.

Yeah who wouldn't want to live in a future of repressed solipsistic sperglords running the show?

This sort of technology will only be available to the elite few, as with all future technologies that enhance the human being...so no, none of us will be among them.

Captain Toenail said:

Perhaps an opportunity for men to upgrade their nipples, so they actually have a purpose. Maybe as a radio dial or something.

Jazz FM must be reachable.

GoatLord said:

What is that a picture of? Also, Quast, the term "body dysphoria" seems to be a combination of "body dysmorphia" and "species dysphoria," and perhaps I am a sufferer of the former. I was in psychiatric care for about 13 years and got nowhere; I believe augmentation is the way to go. You could alter the genetalia, of both men and women, to function only as a form of waste disposal, eliminating the messy and ugly fluid exchange that accompanies sexuality. You could also alter the wiring of the brain so that the libido ceases to exist. Reproduction won't be necessary in a future where humans can be cloned or lab-grown.

Yes, and we can also lock up anyone who tries to force such a future on the rest of us. I'm all for augmenting myself, but it will be on my own terms only, and I like sex. I don't care if it causes me to waste time that could be better spent advancing the cause of civilization.

Now if you want to be asexual then go for it. That's common enough anyway, and people don't seem to suffer too much for it. It is pretty strange to want to expend effort eliminating the ability to reproduce though. Again, feel free if it makes you feel better, but very few other people are going to agree the alternative is better, and you haven't even tried to present a real argument for it.

Aren't there tons of sci-fi books, films and games about this already?

Lab-grown surrogate life forms

Augmentation

Dogmentation.

In my opinion, we'll have robots that are controlled remotely via VR headsets before we have all this pie in the sky sci-fi stuff.

I would want to slow the aging process of my body (despite looking kinda young for my true age already :p ), and I would want to prevent hair from falling out of my head (baldness scares me).
Those are the two main augmentations I'd consider.
Other augmentations which are slightly less important to me are: an increased rate of tissue regeneration (similar to Wolverine's from the X-Men series), and telepathy (cause yeah, I'm really having trouble interpreting people's emotions and thoughts properly, and this could definitely help me out, especially when socializing with the opposite gender).

But anyways, yeah, those are all the things I'd want. I don't need anything extra on top of that. No fancy reptilian crap or anything like that. I despise reptoids. They are our enemy and we must drive them off our planet. Yeeesh.
Oh, and I'm keeping my genitals, thank you very much.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be conflict between the "normals" and "abnormals", because it has always existed in our species from the very first day of recorded history.
No doubt there will be some outspoken hero with the mindset and the ideals of Martin Luther King and Professor Charles Xavier who will strive to achieve a peaceful co-existence between the "normals" and the "freaks/rejects". In fact, I might be such a hero. I wouldn't mind dying for a cause if death is what it takes to achieve a better future for the others who are left behind to live after me.

The funny thing is, the "normies" will become the freaks because the augmented will breed and have augmented children, and as the process of augmentation becomes cheaper, most everyone will have it done, with the only ones refusing being those with a moral objection. Aliotroph, I wanted to add that you cannot become asexual; you have to be born that way, like with homosexuality. My attitude is closer to anti-sexuality; having desire but trying to reject it on all levels. That's probably why the subject keeps cropping up in my ideas about different types of augmentation. I think it would be interesting to be augmented in a way that allows one to exist on say, a different planet's surface (such as Mars) without the need for a suit.

I doubt that a person like Charles Xavier could have denied a reptilian human education/home just because he's more different than the other different people.

Reptiles are cool! And I hate it that in fiction/etc they're so often shown as the enemies.

I could have some reptilian features.

I wouldn't mind not having genitals--at least not testicles. I'm fine with adopting, there are tons of orphan children even in our own countries. I love being a dad.

Other than that, it would be pretty sweet being able to run a mile on a single breath of air, or some other such amazing feat.

GoatLord said:

I was in psychiatric care for about 13 years and got nowhere; I believe augmentation is the way to go.

So you're going to spend the rest of your life wishing for a radical advancement in technology that will never happen in your lifetime. Sounds like a plan.

Check your PMs btw.

GoatLord said:

removable genitalia

The real question is will there be attachable genitalia? I only ask because there're only so many times I can get off on watching that scene from Total Recall.

Snakes said:

The real question is will there be attachable genitalia? I only ask because there're only so many times I can get off on watching that scene from Total Recall.

If you're talking about the remake, then I'm clueless. There's nothing remotely similar to what you're talking about in the original. I imagine it could be attachable as well.

Oh, pfft, of course. I think we'll see men (and women) with those in the future. Not that I find it attractive, as it would be confusing (unless I had three hands) and unnecessary. Extra nipples, though? No, I think that would be weird as well.