Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Life on other worlds

DoomUK said:

He begins coherently enough, but soon drifts off into conspiracy theory BS.

I know, but interesting to watch.

DoomUK said:

(that's not you, is it?)

Haha, NOPE.

Quast said:

The earth will be consumed by the upper atmosphere of the sun when this happens. 10s of millions of years beforehand however the earths atmosphere and oceans will have long since boiled away.

Well, millions of years should hopefully be more than enough time for us to figure out how to open wormholes into other dimensions or colonize other planets or create an artificial solar system for ourselves, considering the fact that technology tends to evolve at an exponentially higher rate as we go along through time.

Netherstorm said:

Watch this please

Perhaps some of the stuff that he says in the middle is BS, but I do agree with what he says in the very final minute. Most of humanity's evaluations on what is possible to achieve tend to be underestimated. Humanity eventually surprises and astounds itself as it goes on its journey down the road of existence.

188DarkRevived said:

1.) reallocate ourselves to a different planet due to the fact that our Sun will eventually expand from a yellow-dwarf classification to some super-yellow-giant classification before eventually burning out;
-OR-
2.) artificially create a new yellow-dwarf Sun / learn how to reverse or slow down or otherwise control the aging process of our Sun;
-OR-
3.) genetically modify ourselves to prevent our tissue from being burned by our newly expanded super-giant Sun

That isn't expected to pose a problem for at least a couple of billion years, so I'd consider it a non-issue. At that point in time there's likely to be scant evidence of humanity's existence in the geological record, let alone a thriving civilization.

GreyGhost said:

That isn't expected to pose a problem for at least a couple of billion years, so I'd consider it a non-issue. At that point in time there's likely to be scant evidence of humanity's existence in the geological record, let alone a thriving civilization.

Aye. Hell, if we make it another 2000 years without accidentally the whole Earth, it'd be pretty damn amazing.

eargosedown said:

Hell, if we make it another 2000 years without accidentally the whole Earth, it'd be pretty damn amazing.

There's already been plenty of opportunities to nuke ourselves into extinction in the past 50 or so years. We're more thoughtful and mindful than that.

DoomUK said:

Hopefully not too off-topic at this stage:-

Yup. He's got a wonderful theory! I can totally imagine us moving from Type1 to Type2 after a few centuries, despite being on the border of Type0 right now.