Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Eureka, a Doom Editor

Andrew Apted has made the first public release of his map editor Eureka. This is a Linux-targeted editor originally forked from Yadex, but significantly rewritten since then. Compilation is required, as it is released in source code form only right now. Still being a beta release, I'm sure Andrew would be appreciative of any suggestions for improvement.

\o/
Place that man a statue! Finaly a decend map editor for modern Linux!

I can savely asume that the 3d preview is the real deal, ie, the real Doom engine for previewing? o.o

EDIT:
I found a little annoyance in Gnome3 (FB-Mode), if you fullscreen the editor the dropdown menu in the bottom bar where you select the mode gets drawn behind the taskbar.

Nice work! I was trying to get Yadex working the other day and bemoaning the fact that it doesn't even compile cleanly on modern systems. This looks like a significant improvement, and it's great to see a Unix/Linux level editor under development.

Excellent news, I have a version of Linux on my desktop so will definitely give this a try when I get it fixed. Great to see that Linux users now have an editor.

Yeah, this is cool news, I'm currently working on supplying a user-friendly Mac app package for this. Finally a Mac editor :D

printz said:

Yeah, this is cool news, I'm currently working on supplying a user-friendly Mac app package for this. Finally a Mac editor :D

Doesn't SLADE 3 compile on Mac?

Admittedly there are so many dependencies (OpenGL, wxWidgets, SFML, FluidSynth...) it might be annoying.

Gez said:

Doesn't SLADE 3 compile on Mac?

Admittedly there are so many dependencies (OpenGL, wxWidgets, SFML, FluidSynth...) it might be annoying.

Yeah, it had failed after I waited several hours to download and install things. Either I chose 64 bit at one moment and it turned out to be incompatible with the other libraries (?) or I didn't actually install all Xcode command-line tools as described here and thought I did.

Cheers folks!

Bastet Furry said:

I can savely asume that the 3d preview is the real deal, ie, the real Doom engine for previewing?

No it's not the actual DOOM code (which requires a BSP tree to function), and some things don't work quite the same way (e.g. the sky, midmasked textures, non-rotated sprites). But the lighting is the same, it uses the same distance formula and the same COLORMAP table.

The Gnome3 menu thing would indeed be a tad annoying -- probably beyond my control though, it'd be an issue with FLTK interaction with the Gnome3 window manager. Does it happen when the window is normal sized (moved to bottom of the desktop) ?

andrewj said:

No it's not the actual DOOM code (which requires a BSP tree to function), and some things don't work quite the same way (e.g. the sky, midmasked textures, non-rotated sprites). But the lighting is the same, it uses the same distance formula and the same COLORMAP table.

Close enough for being usefull and a great achivement. Now all it needs is some sort of texture selector and alginer, the rest can wait. :)

andrewj said:

The Gnome3 menu thing would indeed be a tad annoying -- probably beyond my control though, it'd be an issue with FLTK interaction with the Gnome3 window manager. Does it happen when the window is normal sized (moved to bottom of the desktop) ?

See here:
http://i.imgur.com/064f6.png
I can still use the shortcuts, so its not a big problem.

Will try to make a nice map with it next week or so, currently i have enough work for two of me. :/

hex11 said:

Bastet Furry wants to be the first kid on his block to play maps in the editor. ;-)

You know you want that too. And geometry edit, not only sector height but line placement too, right inside the 3D view.
But i think THAT feature would take awhile to develop and i am not 100% sure if it would be so great to use. Even Autodesk decided that you first make a 2D model and then tell Inventor the height for 3D.