Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Uganda to officially pass "Kill the Gays Bill"

One of the most surreal and creepiest bills I've seen to pass, it always blows my mind when a country is under economic recession with high unemployment and the government is too busy focusing on some minority group other than solving deeper economic issues such as making sure their people have food and a roof over their heads.... discuss.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/article/2479/uganda-to-officially-pass-kill-the-gays-bill

It's Africa. The First World's problems are folderol by comparison, and I'm not even referencing a meme here.

DeathevokatioN said:

One of the most surreal and creepiest bills I've seen to pass, it always blows my mind when a country is under economic recession with high unemployment and the government is too busy focusing on some minority group other than solving deeper economic issues such as making sure their people have food and a roof over their heads....

The two things are related. They don't know how to solve economic issues, or more probably aren't interested in doing so (since they're likely corrupt and prefer a broken system that lets them steal public money and get bribes instead of a working system where they couldn't make as much fat by their parasitism). But the populace is still angry about these issues, so let's distract them by making them hate something else than the government. Acceptable targets: the decadent West and their colonial past, immigrants from neighboring countries (called foreign terrorists), and any minority available.

Well, in Greece the "Golden Dawn" far right party, aided by Christian extremists, disrupted the play "Corpus Christi" just this past October, causing its cancellation it in Athens. But it's not over, because now the producers and actors are also legally prosecuted by the DA for "mocking religion".

I can't view this in any other light than a diversion tactic: the gov't gains support of the most extreme and dangerous elements, while "tackling" a subject that (unfortunately) still has enough butthurt leverage in our society. Apparently, strong enough to make people forget the insane taxation and zero working rights just approved last week in the "parliament" (or whatever that atrocity has degenerated into).

Yeah, we might be jobless, those that do have jobs are paid anything from 300 to 1000 Euros tops (without any sort of benefits, despite social security contribution being mandatory, because most jobs are "black", aka undeclared), but HOLY CRAP DON'T STEP ON THE PEOPLE'S STALWART CHRISTIAN ORTHODOX ETHICS.

I bet a lot of this stems from US priests/pastors/televangelists and other religious nuts coming down there to spread their hatemongering without restraints and whipping them into a frenzy.

GeckoYamori said:

I bet a lot of this stems from US priests/pastors/televangelists and other religious nuts coming down there to spread their hatemongering without restraints and whipping them into a frenzy.

Simply put, yes, there's a lot of bullshit going on there.

Gez said:

The two things are related. They don't know how to solve economic issues, or more probably aren't interested in doing so (since they're likely corrupt and prefer a broken system that lets them steal public money and get bribes instead of a working system where they couldn't make as much fat by their parasitism). But the populace is still angry about these issues, so let's distract them by making them hate something else than the government. Acceptable targets: the decadent West and their colonial past, immigrants from neighboring countries (called foreign terrorists), and any minority available.

Holy fish finger sandwiches... now politics makes sense! Excellent post, sir. :)

We don't have many religious extremists here in Britain apart from the odd hate preacher who gets financial assistance and a house courtesy of the British taxpayer, and cannot be deported to his own country because the European Court of Human Rights thinks he'll be persecuted there... by the people he is trying to incite to attack Britain, the country he is living in and funded by... so yes, politics is a load of bollocks here too.

eargosedown said:

video

Christ, it's like decades of psychosocial development never happened.

I'll bet if you showed them this they'd buy into it:-

Someone please wipe Uganda's government off the Earth please, this is obscene and extremist to take shit this far. Being anti-gay is one thing but taking it to Hitler-like levels is more than unacceptable at this rate.

Fuck you Uganda,

-A bi guy

DoomUK said:

Vintage "educational" film

Then again, if such an "educational film" would be considered acceptable by the worlds' (arguably) most advanced and democratic society just a few decades ago, certainly you should give some leeway to a much less advanced one? Well, maybe A LOT of it.

Edit: LMAO @ the film's "warning message": today, letting yourself getting picked up by a stranger's car, would open you up to FAR worse risks, like getting raped, robbed and killed. And not even necessarily in that order. And the "friendly enough sick homosexual" would be replaced by a "horny and ruthless big bad-ass gangstah", who would not appear to be in the least friendly.

DoomUK said:

It's Africa. The First World's problems are folderol by comparison, and I'm not even referencing a meme here.

When I think of Africa, I always look at this news: "hands cut off and feet cut off in Mali"! How could such things happen? Link

Think about tourists! How can they travel to Africa when there is such a mess over there? Go America and act! :)

GeckoYamori said:

Correct!

Hey Uganda, how about a "Kill the blacks bill"? Oh, that's going too far? Idiots. I dunno. Third world countries are isolated and ass-backwards, stuck in a time when homosexual genocide would have been an acceptable thing. It's just...I dunno. I'm part black so this is pretty fucking embarrassing.

GoatLord said:

Third world countries are isolated and ass-backwards, stuck in a time when homosexual genocide would have been an acceptable thing.

Ironically, most Third World countries are Muslim. And Islam has a quite hypocritical stance on the whole gay thing...it's A-OK as long as you're the pitcher.

GoatLord said:

Hey Uganda, how about a "Kill the blacks bill"? Oh, that's going too far?

Uganda is in Africa... most people in Africa are black...

Maes said:

Ironically, most Third World countries are Muslim. And Islam has a quite hypocritical stance on the whole gay thing...it's A-OK as long as you're the pitcher.

More ironically, Iran is pretty cool for transsexuals. In some cases, their legalities are significantly better than in many states of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexuality_in_Iran

But at the same times, Iran still has laws barring homosexuality.

eargosedown said:

As of 2008, Iran carries out more sex change operations than any other nation in the world except for Thailand

sex reassignment surgery is performed frequently and openly in Iran

That's almost as shocking as the vast chasm of difference between that and the way gay people are treated in Iran. All LGBT discrimination is demented, but the way Iran seems to pick and choose who it hates so vehemently makes no sense at all.

Sokoro said:

Death to all religious people would be better. Religions are BS.

Is this statement supposed to be as extreme as the topic of this thread as a joke or do you literally mean it, and you'd go (or have someone else go) and kill all religious people?

Well, religions are full of lies and caused more trouble than gays as far as I know.
And no, I would not go to kill people, even if I would enjoy it, especialy killing of those who I consider *deserving*. Too dangerous. I am just weak computer addict.

eargosedown said:

More ironically, Iran is pretty cool for transsexuals. In some cases, their legalities are significantly better than in many states of the United States.

Maybe Ahmadinejad saw yet another opportunity for Iranian supremacy and is trying to out-compete the likes of Thailand's Ladyboys?

Maes said:

Maybe Ahmadinejad saw yet another opportunity for Iranian supremacy and is trying to out-compete the likes of Thailand's Ladyboys?

Doubtful, I think there's just less religious opposition to transsexuality in islam, which is the core foundation (religious activists) of homophobia and transphobia within America that started up the social stigma.

As was also talked about though, perhaps the fact that heterosexual trans women in Iran would always be on 'bottom', regardless of popular definition of their sex.

Sokoro said:

Well, religions are full of lies and caused more trouble than gays as far as I know.
And no, I would not go to kill people, even if I would enjoy it, especialy killing of those who I consider *deserving*. Too dangerous. I am just weak computer addict.

So, religious people, all of them including the God fearing Grandmas and god fearing charity workers and the passionate buddhists and *ALL* the rest are deserving of death?

GoatLord said:

Get rid of all deity based religions,

Get rid of all religions. Whether they're based around worshipping a deity would seem like a rather irrelevant detail.

keep the one thing they did right, which was encourage peace

It's pretty rare that this is the case; they often encourage precisely the opposite. Just look at Northern Ireland, or Palestine, and you'll see how far they go in "encouraging peace".

and charity.

While I think it can be argued that religions do some good in encouraging and organising charity work, too often it's a case of "conflating charity work with religious proselytizing". My favorite example of this is Operation Christmas Child, a fantastic idea for a charitable project that is sadly polluted by the fact that the organisation that runs it is evangelical in nature and exploits peoples' contributions to distribute religious literature to people in third world countries.

Of course, many religious organisations are established as registered charities, which in addition to granting them tax-exempt status, means that by giving them money, you're technically being "charitable" - albeit in a rather questionable way that would appear to dilute the meaning of the term "charity".

In fact, the best charities tend to be those that are free from religion completely and focus simply on organising as many people as possible around charitable causes. Examples would be the Red Cross, UNICEF and Médecins sans Frontières.