Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Old textures

I have been looking through my repetoire of Macworld video screenshots a lot (goes without saying) and I've actually recognized *one* old floor texture.
After the spinning id logo, the video jumps straight to a scene where we see a monster walk through a shadowy place. Just before you see the monster, there's a pretty close look at the grey, tiled floor.

I remember having seen a grey floor with similar small tiles in the old Doom games.

So, my question: How many of you would like to see texture rehashes in the new Doom? I'm not talking about textures with a remote likelihood to one of the old textures here, I'm talking about textures which look almost one hundred percent the same (only more detailed) and which can be recognized immediately (or almost immediately).

Personally, I expect to see lots and lots of totally new textures, but I do hope for some old textures to return - some of the old base wall textures, the marble textures and a few others here and there.

hmmm dead baron-of-hell texture(the one that is placed in tower of babel)
,the texture that looks exactly the same to jeremy and prime's avatar,the gray hexagon- tiled floor texture (remind me of bee's nest(?) ).those texture was quite remarkable .the baron's texture should be placed in appopriated place (like they did in ultimate DOOM).

Yeah, it would really add some needed continuity to the whole Doom Universe. Basically, Doom3 should be like Doom, grown-up. I would love to see lots of the old themes, mosters, textures but retouched, modified so that they are definately new but inspired from images of the original terror. Particularly, the big texture of the Goat skull/demon looking face with the big ass inverted red pentagram. I would really like to see a more stylish and hellish version of that in the game. I don't want just the industrial/space ship stuff shown at MacWorld video... although that stuff is badass too.

What I mean by stylized textures I guess is adding more detail to them. Considering the textures will be higher resolution, this will be necessary anyway.

Hell yeah, I want certain textures from the original Doom that epitomize the Doom world to make it back in somehow but are incorporated for the sake of the atmosphere and not just for nostalgia's sake.

Many of the Doom textures seem to be left over from when Doom was going to be an Aliens game (e.g. the TEKxx textures).

The Doom 3 movie shows some very Alien-esque scenes.

Therefore, improved/remade Doom textures in Doom 3 would definitely work, and would be a good thing indeed :)

Plus we could use them in Doom ports that support high res textures :)

Yes i would love to see the old textures come back, espicially the organic textures. Just imagine an entire room of pink bumpmapped flesh! It would look scary as hell.
There was also a cool texture at the boss level of doom 2 where you had to hit the switch that raised a lift that allowed you to fire into the icon of sin. That particular switch was composed of large wires coming from hanging bodies which then connected to a skull in the center with computer screens for eyes.. That would definatley make a wonderful texture for doom3

Originally posted by NiGHTMARE
Plus we could use them in Doom ports that support high res textures :)

Uuh that wouldn't work just like that. Each texture is made up of 4 different layers. Base, Bump, Gloss and something else, maybe Displacement. Without the Bumpmap, the Base picture looks horribly plain and simple. And I'm sure you know what I mean since you're a texture artist.