Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Exit Rooms

In my maps I want the player to know when he's reaching the exit or that the room ahead of him is the exit room, with a little more character than just an exit sign. I need some inspiration. Lets post some shots of cool exit rooms, or rooms leading up to an exit.

Here's one from gothic99.wad

And another one from Ultimate Doom

I was always a fan of the Icarus setup, along with other object oriented indicators like plutonia's glowing plinth. It helps add cohesion to the map set and gives it a lot of character, I find, as well as identity:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Sixfigs/Screenshot_Doom_20121118_021741.png

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/Sixfigs/Screenshot_Doom_20121118_021801.png

Freedoom E1M9:

Once you step onto the elevator, it goes down for a little bit and then the level ends. It uses some kind of Boom trigger (doesn't work in vanilla). E1M1 also has a similar elevator, but it doesn't move, and instead there's just an exit switch inside of it.

I guess they got this idea from Quake II, but there it's done even better, because you can see the elevator shaft as you enter the big exit room, and the shaft is also present in the next map (you step out of it).

Nightomb.

Spoiler

treats you to a big suspended moon sprite after you manage to emerge from the single-textured ordeal into the open air.

It's more like an art wad: there is a lot of cool Boom tricks and unusual architectural designs that are just interesting to look at. No gameplay with the exception of one or two maps. I've put a copy here. The wad was made by gggmork.

joe-ilya said:

and whats better then an exit sign?
all exit signs

FTFY. The ultimate map is the one that's textured entirely with EXITSIGN. Now find the exit before teh cyberdemons find you! ;-/)

Obsidian said:

That just looks like a room to me Lüt. :/

The big black "wall" at the end is actually a stargate that the entire room leads down to. But I guess it's not obvious at that resolution.

Another idea is to make it say TEXT and place it somewhere far away from the actual exit. At first the player will be happy to see it but then... "oh, it's just a text, nothing interesting here".

I had the exit sign for the "secret" exit in Hadephobia's MAP15 as XXXI so the player has a clue they are going to MAP31.

I personally just prefer a consistent way to mark the exit. Even if it's just the standard glowing 'exit' texture nearby.

UAC_DEAD has one of the most memorable exits I've seen in any WAD. Particularly striking because... it just is.

Semi-related, I really hate unmarked exits; I tend to leave stuff like Megaspheres and whatnot until the end of a map so that I can start the next map in good condition. There are fewer things worse in Doom than hitting some unimportant-looking switch, only for it to boot you into the next map when you really didn't want to leave.

This is especially shitty in Survival games.