Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

What would you like id to do for Doom's 20th Anniversary

It is not the fact that Doom BFG edition is shit in and of itself. It is more that it really didn't do anything new or interesting. And for $60 or $70 retail (I'm in Oz, don't know what prices are like elsewhere) I can't really say it is justified. Especially not when I have already bought and paid for every single game that is in the collection already.

On topic, someone mentioned doing a Final Doom style release.

I thoroughly approve of this for Doom's 20th anniversary.

Maybe make a PC release of Doom64, plus a new episode for it? Why didn't they ever do that anyway?

ComicMischief said:

You know, this is what I want them to do. But yeah, unlikely and meaningless; plus, there'd be a whole shitstorm following said WAD because it most likely wouldn't meet the lofty expectations of some.

I haven't really seen an outcry against No Rest For The Living (or whatever that xbox exclusive is called). I'd guess even people who don't feel it is up to par with certain community PWADs might understand any official attention is a good thing.

I'd love a "Doom HD" release. Not even new levels or changes to the core gameplay (although in this day and age, full mouselook, real 3D and jumping would likely have to be included and rebalanced for), just the game brought to the current decade with professional art and tech.

Alternatively, I could just go sit in the corner and polish my Croteam statue.

Jimi said:

Maybe make a PC release of Doom64, plus a new episode for it? Why didn't they ever do that anyway?

I'm behind this idea. :)

I would love a megawad by Romero and especially Petersen, but it's never going to happen.

They shouldn't make any changes to the original. That's why I'll never bother trying the shitty BFG edition.

And I'm not anticipating Doom 4 at all. They should come up with another name and just leave Doom alone, instead of solely making money off the name again. For most people, Doom will always be a classic DOS game rather than some boring modern shooter, like Doom 3.

No nonsense re-builds, remakes, remastering, high-res horseshit, repackaged gimmicks. Just release the classic games as freeware. They can keep the franchise, but allow the classic games to be downloaded for free. That is all. Why we are celebrating to handover more money for an ancient game that most of the original artists who are not even tied to is beyond me. Doom doesn't even belong to id anymore.

Jimi said:

That would be awesome. I don't know how well it'd sell but I would totally buy it.

Clonehunter said:

I wanna play Doom on Nightmare! on the 20th anniversary.

We should figure out some kind of Doomworld community event. CTF, DM, something.

Technician said:

We should figure out some kind of Doomworld community event. CTF, DM, something.

A GIANT deathmatch....*Eyes glaze over*

Jimi said:

A new episode may be nice but we already have Doom64 EX, which runs better than any half-assed attempted by a studio looking to cash in on an anniversary.

But Doom64EX doesn't come with the game data. So I'm stuck with pirated game data. I have no N64. I have no reason to buy N64. I have no reason to buy a game for a system that I don't have. Even if I did have the console and the game, I would still play it on PC with pirated game data. If could buy it for PC, I would.

i felt stupid for liking a lot the BFG Edition so far (i'm talking about the Doom 3 levels i've played -i've reached the first hell boss arena...- and "no rest for the living" for how hard looks...)

And yeah, a PC distribution of the Console Exclusive Doom versions (PSX and N64) it couldn't be a bad idea.... also the final doom thing looks nice.....

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

It is not the fact that Doom BFG edition is shit in and of itself. It is more that it really didn't do anything new or interesting. And for $60 or $70 retail (I'm in Oz, don't know what prices are like elsewhere) I can't really say it is justified. Especially not when I have already bought and paid for every single game that is in the collection already.

WTF, mate?

I bought my BFG Edition in a store, release day, for 35 bucks (a regular new release is priced at around 65-75 here in Sweden) . Totally worth the money, considering I get Doom 3, RoE and the Lost Missions AND I'm eager about trying out the Oculus Rift when that arrives.

Jimi said:

Because Doom64 was Midway's gig, not id's. Given that Midway have gone the way of the dinosaur, it's kind of in publishing rights hell at the moment.

Just don't call it abandonware ...

I would love an editor for classic doom/doom2 on the xbox. It would have to be capable of porting idgames levels directly as well as allow texture editing, etc. (basically I want it all with regards to editing built into a single unified program).

gamul312 said:
photo

Only Romero could get away with that haircut and those shorts and still be awesome, albeit the 90's.

I agree with those who wished for the classic Doom games to become freeware.

Though I don't think it's realistic to hope for that. It would seem logical that id makes a browser based version of the first Doom like when Wolf3D turned 20 last year, and hopefully Romero could release the Doom map sources like with Quake. PS Sorry for double posting. DS

Cire said:

It would seem logical that id makes a browser based version of the first Doom like when Wolf3D turned 20 last year.

That's exactly what I was saying. :P

The good old Doom makers get together and spar it out in a deathmatch for Youtube or Livestream or something.

Winner decides what else the 20th anniversary should entail.

A proper movie. Preferably a high quality animation with a decent tie-in comic. The Doom universe is so ripe for fleshing out. It didn't do Dead Space any harm. :)

Oh, and Matt Costello being paid and encouraged to do the third book in his trilogy would be good!